1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lying to get into QLD police service...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by DJNay, Jun 10, 2012.

1. DJNay

From Joburg, SA but now live in Brisbane, Aus
    OK so I want to apply to work for the QLD Police service in Australia, and on the medical form its asks about ADHD history and I have been diagnosed with it. But im scared that if i say yes to having it and being dependent on medication, that it will ruin my chance on geting accepted. I know lying about it sounds bad, but I dont know what else to do. I tried researching about policies but the only thing I could find was that the NSW police service requires applicants with ADHD to be medication free for atleast 2 years and be asymptomatic.

Thoughts? Ideas? Please help.

2. Toneth

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well i doubt that you could get away with lying about that to the police, I'm sure that they check into all that, and even if they don't if they were to ever find out you could lose your job on the spot, i would try the honest route, are you asymptomatic and off meds?

3. Mad Man L

I would strongly advise against lying, especially given that it's the police force and everything. Just because you have ADHD, doesn't mean that by ticking that box you condemn yourself to not get the job.

4. Ianthe

I also have AD/HD.

Unfortunately, I think it would be wrong to lie, but it probably will stop them from hiring you. I don't think there is anything you can do about it.

5. DJNay

Yeah I know the risks about lying, and it will go against everything I believe in, I dont know about people being able to pick up my symptoms but I'm on meds. Assuming that it is the same as NSW with being off meds for 2years, if I stopped my meds now I could pass that because it is still 2years before I apply as I'm still busy studying at uni but I've tried going off them for 6months and failed miserably. I researched jobs that would be good people with ADHD and police work, firefighter, doctor, etc all came up. I just wish there was some way past it.

6. Nykoru

Out Status:
    Some people
    Whatever you do, do not lie to try to join the police. You may get in, but someone is going to find out soon enough after you are hired - and then chances are that you will be fired, at the least, or possibly charged; the police here, at least, are very serious about it. My bro-in-law is trying to get into the RCMP, and it is tough. However, if it helps, he is diabetic (diagnosed as a child and *not* related to obesity in any way) and dependent on insulin - but it does not automatically disqualify him. Don't lose hope - and you know what? Why don't you shoot the recruiting office an email and ask them if QLD has the same requirement?

7. DJNay

thanks for the advice, i think i shall contact them and ask, the worst they can do is say no...

8. Ianthe

Please be careful if you do go off your medication. In particular, if you notice an increase in problems while you are driving, be very aware of that. A lot of people with ADHD die in car crashes, especially if they are driving without their medication. Inattention and impulsivity can be extremely dangerous while driving.

Other bad driving outcomes include more crashes overall, more speeding tickets and run red lights, and a higher likelihood of going to prison for negligent homicide after killing someone in a car accident.

People treat AD/HD like a joke, but it's not.

9. DJNay

yeah i know people do, and it sucks! dnt worry, i cant drive a car to save my life as it is, because of my dyspraxia, ive tried manual and automatic but the multi-tasking is too much for my brain to handle. :bang: Like once during a lesson, with an instructor luckily, i saw the "turn arrow" light go green and went straight thinking in my head it was the proper one. i got confused :frowning2: luckily for me my instructor was sharp and slammed on his brakes. yep, never again!