1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you not let it get to you?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Nemo39122, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Nemo39122

What I'm referring to is the homophobic/biphobic crap that it seems like I hear every single day...how do you not let it sink in, not let it feel like it's killing you inside?

How do you just shrug it off when it's everywhere? When it feels like everyone hates you? I used to firmly believe that all the crap they say was wrong, that the world will change someday...now I'm starting to question that. When it seems like everyone believes one thing and you believe another...you start to question who is right.

How do you keep this from getting to you? Do you just get used to it? Or do I just have to get used to this?...:tears:

2. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My motto is, "I'm coming out with my head (and middle finger) held high"

Specifically the part in brackets. For those who cannot accept me as I am, I raise my finger. Just like you get people in life who dislike having to deal with the poor or homeless, or those who don't like small children around them, those who dislike smokers or dislike people who have the occasional drink, you'll get those who dislike people who have different sexual preferences to their own. Different point of view to theirs.

I've learned to accept it as it is and the ones who can't accept me as I am do not deserve to know the person inside. They're not worth my time or energy :icon_wink

3. Altrelo

Altrelo Guest

How *I* deal with it is that i just let it affect me, if someone says "Why you so gay" ill give them a sassy response but when I go home I lay in bed and I think of it an I sometimes cry, most of the time I just lay there feeling sad and think until I fall asleep. I'm not like some other people who can just not let it get to them, i just let myself feel the brunt of it later where no one can see me. Still tomorrow I wake up and i barely remember the encounter, if it brings lot of pain don't just bottle it, feel it but if you must learn to put up some shields otherwise youll be home before school ends ^.^.

#3 Altrelo, Jun 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2012
  4. lilyoflife

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    you dont just not let it get to u, its a bit of both really. when it does get to you, you endure the pain. that only makes you stronger. then you get used to it and it doesnt bother you anymore. its a process thats kinda different for everyone. soon you will know whats right to do and whats not right to do. for now, just dont it it end you

5. cscipio

It really depends on context for me. Generally, most of what I hear is just colloquial and not meant to harm. Quite frankly, even with the friends I'm out with, I'll mindlessly slip and say something. The thing is, you can't control speech. When people comment I know they're not referring to me or have an actual negative or hateful stance toward homosexuality - our society has just baked in stereotypes with homosexuality which cause the use of the phrase "that's gay" to, unfortunately, be appropriate for certain situations.

Now, on the otherhand, if you're around people being deliberately hateful and mean it...that's a different story. You may be successful in repressing their speech, but you'll likely never repress their thoughts. In some ways, I'd rather hear what's on somebody's mind, despite being painful to hear, than wonder what they're not telling me.

6. Ianthe

I am out. So when someone says something that bothers me, I can stand up for myself.

This is usually sufficient to keep me from feeling bad about it.