1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hate photos of myself

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Gazza123, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Hi

So... I am wondering whether there are other people like me who hate photos of themselves. I don't what it is and its not just limited to photos, I can't even look at myself in the mirror, shot windows, etc.

I just hate how I look, how my face looks, my body... everything. :eek:

Yeah, I've never really had much confidence but even now that I have more confidence than I ever did back at school and that I just can't look at myself in the mirror or anything.

Anyone the same?
    Anyone got any advice on this?

2. cscipio

I think we all criticize ourselves. Our recorded voices, our appearance in pictures, our look in the mirror. I think two things:

1) If we're all that terrible in our own eyes, then the baseline is lower making us equally terrible. So, it's still a level playing field - go and live.
    2) Anybody who criticizes himself obviously has something he's comparing to. So, what (healthy) changes are you going to make to get you at a point you want to be?

3. Bi As A Kite

Never look at past pictures of yourself and think "I was better looking then". *Cough* Instead of trying to re-create a past image of yourself, strive for betterness.

That's what I keep telling myself, anyway. If you're not particularly good-looking, then oh well. Some people have extraordinary good looks BUT! are boring as hell, have nothing to say and are incredibly narcissistic. Be a good person and the beauty of your personality will shine from within like a light.

That was kind of a rant. Hope it helped.

4. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I do admit that I think there's something wrong with people who like pictures of themselves. It's just not normal.

I for one only like one picture of myself out of the many hundreds that have been taken by my trigger happy friends.

5. Lewis

I do. I look at pictures of other people and think, why can't I look that good in pictures? I don't mind mirrors because I can control how I look at the time and it's not like set in stone. My belief is that the more confident you are, the more photogenic you are.

6. eveninghush

I HATE myself in all pictures. I just look goofy, my eyes are different sizes. I have zero confidence in my appearance but I do make an effort. Not really advice but just so you know its common.. from a fellow UK resident :slight_smile: always nice to see another roundhere

7. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Same here. I always pick the photos I am in apart like "I look weird" "I look mad or unahppy" ANothing thing is I can't smile properly for pictures, it feels awkward to do so but then again... If I'm caught naturally smiling then it looks a little better.

Yay (!) Fellow UK resident

8. ANightDude

Other than the UK thing, this is pretty much how I am too.

I can't stand looking at myself in any way, film, pictures, sound, etc.. I always feel ugly or stupid looking.

9. BenW

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I actively move out of the way of cameras if someone is about to take a photo. I also don't smile much at all in photos. Unless I can approve the look of the picture I don't allow it to stay on their camera. I have a lazy eye that always seem to stand out more in photos more than everyday life... at least if I am looking straight at a camera.

10. stumble along

Yeah I know what you mean, on Facebook maybe i have one old picture of myself, and I look totally different now. Though I'm ok with recorded voice and webcam.
    Haha sometimes I wish a nlhad a really cool looking mask/visor thing, but it wouldn't go with any clothes and I'd end up looking like someone who got wrong directions to the game convention...

11. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Me to. I remember at someones birthday party once my friend got a few of everyone together for a pic (just his friends) I just stood to side with this girl who obviously felt awkward about pics.

But I did only know my friend at the party and no one else so maybe that had a little something to do with it

12. dc101

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I completely agree, I avoid all cameras and I always offer to take any group pictures.

13. kylegf2011

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Me too!! I hate pictures, I dont know why but I always look ugly in pictures. And with mirrors its weird cause there are some where I look awesome, and there are some where I just cant look at myself without being completley disgusted.

14. Pinstripe

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    You know, I've heard that the reason a lot of people hate how they look in photos is the fact that we're used to seeing ourselves in mirrors. So a photo is a reverse image of that, making it look inherently wrong. Of course, it doesn't help that we can scrutinze our features either.