1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting no respect from my father

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Ryukotsu, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Ryukotsu

So this generally has nothing to do with being gay, though my dad is extremely bigoted against gay people but he doesn't I'm gay so it's irrelevant.

I work with my dad at a store my grandfather owned, my dads been here for say 18 years and I've been here for 3, though I was raised in the business even as a kid. The thing now though is that he and I basically run the place, with me doing the majority of the work because he's computer illiterate, while he handles talking with customers. I work hard, 9 hours a day, 6 days a week, with no sick days, no vacations, and often as not I stay late to do paperwork. Not that im complaining, it's called work for a reason.

My problem is that no matter how much I do, my dad criticizes every single thing, at first I marked it off as him just being a father, but it's gotten more then that, calling me stupid, telling customers I'm a liar, calling me lazy while I work through lunch, and generally refusing to help me, it's even gotten so far that one day a customer asked for his help specifically and when I told my dad he called me "a worthless piece of shit" for making him wait on a customer. I can't stand it anymore, I'm constantly criticized and talked to like a dog (actually he treats his dog better)

I know as a grown man I really don't need his approval, but he was my hero as a kid, and he really abandoned me when I was 2, so did my mother, and I was adopted. So I've always sort of wanted to get along with him, but no matter what I do he seems to look down on me, while my brother (who is constantly in trouble) can do no wrong. What should I do? Sorry that was longwinded

2. SohoDreamer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm sorry to hear that, maybe you should try taking a job somewhere else, show your independence. I mean you're 21 now too, do you still wanna live with your father? Do you live in a small town? Maybe you should move out to a big city or something for a while and just try and experience the change of life there (in addition to being much much more accepted as gay).

Perhaps your father suspects your sexuality and is taking things out on you because of that. Either way, you don't deserve his abuse. Take a strike of independence. You shouldn't have to live under his undermining shadow all the time.

3. Ryukotsu

I don't live with my father for the record, and moving isn't exactly an option right now. ( especially the city, the nearest one is about 3 hours away. :frowning2:) but yeah it's s small town. I'm really hoping for a way to either get through to him or at least get him to listen to me and shut the hell up.

To be honest I've been giving a lot of thought to throwing my cell in a lake, taking my money and just leaving the state/country altogether