1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When to tell number 4...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by tired_of_lying411, Jul 8, 2006.

1. tired_of_lying411

Hey there, it's been a while and there are new forums and new members... it's GREAT!

So a little background, My mom first asked me a few years ago and I told her I was, infact, gay. just 3 months ago, while on msn, I told my best friend. Next came my brother, again on msn.
    They were all fine with it, totally supportive, but it seems I have never actually said the words "so-and-so, I AM GAY" to anyone. Only a simple yes to my mom and text conversation to the others.....

So to get to my point, my friend of many years (also female) and I are doing our annual tent out in my back yard... The PERFECT oppurtunity. I have been REALLY close to telling her before, but just havent quite done it yet.

She used to hang out in "that crowd" as a visible supporter, but now, she has started to use the ever popular "that's so gay" phrase... OH NO! I'm not sure if this is because of the rub off factor, everyone else says it, so she does, out of habbit????

I hope so

anyway, I used to think she would be an easy one, but now... not so much

Immediate help would be GREAT and sorry for the long post

PS, a few years ago she asked me if I was gay, because alot of people at school were asking and I said NO, because no one knew back then.

2. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think you can assume from someon using the phrase "that's so gay" that they're gonna take you coming out badly. "gay" equalling "stupid/bad/lame" has unfortunately slipped into a lot of people's vocabulary.

3. Dejavu

Although i dont agree with the way you came out to your Mum and Brother and any other you may have told VIA MSN/text convos. I think telling a female friend of so long is the gonna get you the best reaction ever. If you cant come out to your best female friend.. your never gonna come out using words.

4. tired_of_lying411

I did come out to my best friend, and she is a girl, while I may have used msn, I think that It's beter to come out over msn, rather than never do it in person, because my school is a really crowded place and we dont get a chance to hang out anywhere else.

And completely agree with joey on the "thats so gay thing", but it just makes me a little more cautious. My mindset is that if she was still an open supporter of gay people, she would go out of her way not to say it.

... she'll just take some time, I didnt tell her yet, btw

#4 tired_of_lying411, Jul 10, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2006
  5. Merc

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yeah.... Heck, my brother uses that phrase so often that it's sort of lost meaning.... According to him, every character in Super Mario Kart is gay :icon_roll And I actually said it a few times... admittedly, I had no idea what gay actually meant then, but... Okay, whatever. The point is that whether people realize it or not, some not-so-kind words have slipped into their vocabulary.

6. tired_of_lying411

Yes, I do realize that she may just be using it because of the "rub-off factor" like I previously stated. I can see just how easy it would be to pick up a common word that others use as we all do it with certain words. The difference with the word gay being used as a synonym for stupid, is that it can really offend a large group of people, and so, is it not then society's responsibility to avoid the word?

If someone were to say "That's so niggered up," when faced with the situation of something being stupid, people would not be so forgiving.

7. Dolce's Gabbana

Ok so u can't take offense to "that's so gay" first off. I personally take more offense when they say "no offense" just cuz I don't wanna be treated any diffrently and if that's what they say, then that's what they say.
    If she's so close 2 u, it should be easy 4 u! So go for it! :slight_smile:
    - KoTa -

8. tired_of_lying411

Isn't it a little shallow to just completely ignore something because you don't want to be treated differently...

and its not always that easy...