1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coming out to my daddy?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by rene, Jun 13, 2012.

1. rene

I've already came out to my mom and she didnt really accept it, even though her sister in law neice and nephew are all gay and she accepts them, im okay with it now i guess. But coming out to my dad is a whole other story, even though his sister is gay and shes basically his best friend I have this irrational fear of telling him I am too. I do everything with my dad and if he doesnt accept me for this i dont know what i would do... I guess what I'm getting at is how are some easy ways to come out to people more specifically your dad?:help:

2. Beachboi92

Your mom is probably scared because it is different when it is your daughter. There is a process she has to go through that will involved denial, bargaining, anger, acceptance, etc just like you did that may take some time so she can adjust to the idea of having a lesbian daughter as it does change a long standing image she had for your future and presents some new difficulties she never thought you would have to face. In some ways she may worry for you. If she hasn't already told you dad, which i find unlikely especially if she doesn't believe you (think "hey Jim our daughter said the craziest thing today, she thinks shes a lesbian!") then chances are he will be totally fine about it.

My mom had a transgendered sister and was very close with her and as a result that made my coming out much easier. I bet you will find that he reacts in a very positive way. There may be a few kinks here and there as there is with all parents but I'd put money down that it is one of your easier coming out experiences. Of course next to your lesbian Aunt who you should come out to immediately because god knows there is no better person to support you than that lady :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. SohoDreamer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'd recommend telling your lesbian Aunt, and then getting her to be with you whilst you come out to your dad. She can support you, give you advice, I mean I would LOVE to have a non-heterosexual relative who I could come to for advice. But no, my family is all straight as an arrow..

Anyway, ask your Aunt to help you come out to your dad and get her to do it with you, so that she is there when his initial reactions come out. She'll be able to quell any fears of his, and calm him down etc. That said, if he is fine with her, I'm sure he'll be fine with you. I know it's real scary though. Good luck!! :slight_smile:

4. rene

Well the advice is really quit good thank you but I'm really not that close with my aunt, yeah im sure shed be very helpful but i dont know her that well

5. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm 25 and I'm still not out to my Dad, even though I know he will be more than accepting. I know this because he's watched Brokeback Mountain a million and one times and he thought it was a great movie lol. I wish I could help you figure out ways to tell him, but I'm still working on it...just know that you're not alone :slight_smile:

6. rene

well i wrote him a letter last nigh and my intentions were to give it to him today but i chickened out so i might give it to him tomorrow night.. i dont know

7. Ianthe

Has your dad been talking to you about his gay sister a lot?

8. rene

only about races they do, like tris and marathons and stuff saying how i should join them my aunt and her partner really enjoy when i go with them to run too.. all i know is the way she came out i dont want to do the same because her mom walked in on her and her partner fooling aroung

9. rene

i did it!!!!