1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going on vacation without partner?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by sloaners, Jun 13, 2012.

1. sloaners

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've planned a vacation to Mexico with my family and a couple friends in January. Originally, my girlfriend was going to come with us, but her job won't give her the time off. Now she feels uncomfortable with me going. I don't particularly want to go a week without seeing her, but I do want to see my family and have a free trip to Mexico..
    So I guess my question is, what is your feeling about vacationing without your partner?

2. Tycho

Personally I don't like it (I feel a little bit bad for going without 'em) however sometimes the situation is inevitable. If it was just a trip with friends I may think twice about going or try postpone it however when family is involved I'll usually go on the trip. If that is the case I'll have a nice chat sometime before I leave and get things sorted with her.

In all honesty a good partner would understand and it really shouldn't come between you. Heh, made me realize a girl wasn't right for me once.

How long are you going away for?

3. dreamcatcher

I don't see anything wrong with you going with your family and friends. It's not like you're going on a vacation with this mysterious hot girl and no one else. If you really want to, I think you should go.

4. sloaners

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The vacation is for a week. I don't love the idea, just because I will miss her and feel bad that she will be missing out on fun. If it was with only friends I probably wouldn't go or ask to postpone it until she could make it. However, my mom is planning the whole thing and I haven't seen my family in almost a year, so I really want to spend time with them!
    I know she understands, but she's really insecure about it.. I don't want it to turn into a big fight or go knowing she'll be miserable.

5. Tycho

Just tell her since its a family based trip you'll be spending most of your time with them and there is nothing to worry about ... plus, in the past I found being away from my girl for about a week just made our desire/relationship come out stronger :wink:

6. sloaners

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Heh, I know that's right!

7. confusedlady

confusedlady Guest

Totally up to you, but if I were you I would go cause I wouldn't want to miss out on seeing my family after so long of not seeing them. Maybe you guys can keep in contact through skype/email so you both can stay connected, maybe this will also ease her insecurities.

8. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Its only a week. It will be done before you realize it :slight_smile:

She might not be thrilled, but she has to understand that she can't come between you and your family only because she can't come. I think its more than fine to go have fun with your family without any guilt. Go enjoy it :slight_smile:

9. SlickyPants

I know relationships include compromise but sometimes you need to put your foot down.

It isn't as if you never intended to take her. Work's a bitch sometimes but that's life. Should you not get to go because she can't? Sure, she'll miss you and you'll miss her but you see her fairly regularly. You haven't seen your family in a year. I'm sure a week apart won't kill her. Besides, you can call her, text her, talk on skype.

Of course, it's entirely up to you but I say have fun in Mexico, enjoy spending time with your family and friends. Don't have any regrets about it. Call her to say "I love you" or that sort of thing.

Your family members won't be around forever. Spend as much time with them as you can. It may not seem as important now when you're young but you'll appreciate that you did later in life.