1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Social networking status...?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Cheese Love, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Cheese Love

i.e. MySpace, Facebook, etc...

Well, I've been thinking for awhile if I should ever change my orientation status. Thinking on it, I decided that if I were to do it, I would need to come out to my four closest friends (2/4) as well as my sisters (1/2), delete both of my cousins and one or two other people, and then change it.

Does that sound really extreme? I really do love my cousins, but my dad's side of the family cannot find out. Homosexuality is a really big taboo in middle eastern culture and that's not something I want to try and change right now. Plus, it could cause problems for my dad.

So I'm just wondering... Is it a bad idea to change it in high school?
    For those of you that did, when did you change it?
    Any bad experiences with it?

I'm really only thinking about it because I feel like I'm ready to move on and start living my life.

2. Grantious

hey hey,

I know somebody who came out in high school here, it did not go to well for him in the beginning he got teased a little but after a while everybody started to accept sean it was cool, he is a friend of my best gal pal but it was good for him in the end... but thats what i hav herd...

Good luck

3. membrain

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think it's a bad idea to change it in high school. I actually found it pretty liberating, it felt like "Wow, I'm really putting it out there that this is who I am." It's also a way to come out to some people in a way that isn't too directly confrontational. I came out to most of my friends by changing my MSN name, which sounds kind of funny now that I think about it. :icon_bigg

Of course there will always be a few jerks out there who will bug you about it, but if it's something you feel good about doing, more power to you. Who knows? Something really good may come out of it. :icon_wink

4. Lefty

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I didn't have the problem of having family find out via social networking sites, so I'm not much help with the family part.

However I did change my Facebook earlier this school year. I previously had left it blank with no answer, so it wasn't flat out lying. But I'd been out to all my close friends for awhile and finally felt like it was the right time to do it. I was tired of hiding that part about me and ready to move on. I haven't had any bad or negative responses, but I also live and go to school in quite a liberal town. Sometimes I get the occasional "is it true" message, and I'm just honest with them and the next time I see them they seem cool with it.

I say, if it feels right, then go with it.

5. chrisb

I was in the exact same situation as you but i waited to come out till after high school i decided not to delete anyone and just tell everyone, i'm sure there was lots of gossip on my dads side but they didnt bother to try and discuss it with my dad or mom to much plus my mom and dad love me and wouldnt take there shit anyway...... also im still sociable with my cousins on my dads side they don't dare try to bring it up with me or i would just cut them out of my life aswell as majority of my family would cut them out........and my dad is way to close to there family and so is my mom.........

6. I say go for it, although I changed it during the school holidays at the end of high school and everyone from my old school is same school as I am next year. If I could have I would go back and tell everyone during high school and not wait till the end. But it all seems fine just waiting on a few reactions at the end of the month when school starts up again. As for deleting people, I deleted my brother because I don't want him to know just yet, but after telling my close friends I just went for it and put in my orientation. I was surprised that people actually noticed, one of my friends only just found out the other day and started up a conversation and said he was surprised he didn't know and congratulated me.
    He was more than fine with it because his mother is a lesbian, but I had completely forgotten about that. (^-^)

7. CrimsonThunder

Mines set to bi and my cousin added me about a month ago, I was scared about him seeing it at first but if he asks I'll just say its a joke. You could always say that.

8. Level N Human

Your facebook or myspace doesn't dictate who you are. You can very well live your life I think without divulging any information you don't want known about yourself (I take it you wouldn't want a few people to know about your orientation correct?) Take for example: The "In a relationship/Single/It's complicated" status of facebook. I'm sure when a relationship delves from "Relationship" to "it's complicated" in real life, the couplees don't rush to their facebook to make sure it's completely accurate. Besides, orientation is just part of who you are, not who you are completely. Leaving stuff blank is fine methinks, and then when you are ready to come out completely to everyone, you can change the status of your virtual profiles to your heart's content. ^^

9. Javi

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    idk when im gonna change mine , i got it as straight on myspace , but i put Gay on my empty closets account , but im still confused about my orientation , cuz i like guys n everythin but i wouldnt mine doin a gurl lol :icon_bigg

10. SpikySpice

No body in my family can fidn out about me on the net, and if they do, it wont matter cuz I cam eout to my sis, dropped soem hints for my dad.

I took it slowly, 1st I changed it to Bi on June so I can feel soemwhat secure, liek in teh midle of 2 things, to let myself gettign used to it, at that time, I didnt loose any friends. Then by August, I decided it's time to give big shot, so I chnaged to Gay, and I started to loose soem friends, it kinda hurt, now it dosnt nymore. I also added a coupel of friends in school, they didnt say anything, dont know if they care or not.

So now, Im who I am, but my friend wnats me to add soem peopel in school, which I kinda feel nervous little bit

11. chrisb

You could always just say no answer..............

12. jab429

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I changed mine to "Gay" earlier this morning, and then I came here and saw this post.

I wasn't planning on leaving "Gay" up, but maybe just leave it for a day or two to see if anyone says something, but now I am considering leaving it.

I am friends with my little brother, and his gf, and a few other of his friends, so I am kinda thinking it will get back to my little brother.

And I am also friends with my older brother's gf....and she lives with us.

So I will leave it up for a day or two and then decide if I want it to stay.