1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unexpected but Good Moment.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by chguy20, Jun 15, 2012.

1. chguy20

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey everyone. So recently I've been accepting myself more for who I am and not really caring what people think of me etc. etc. Well sometimes my mom asks me if I'm gay not seriously but more of a joking around like she gets hints but doesn't want to be serious about it. I always tell her no because I think coming out to her should be more of a serious conversation instead of more of joking. I'm also terrified mostly because of the way my parents talk about gay people and what they would think of
    me when I told them. They're kinda critical and I live at home so I dont want a bad relationship with them. Anyway so Ive always been thinking since its so hard for me to even think of telling people I'm gay, it would be much easier if they would just ask me! I tell myself that if they ask me I will tell them because I'm sick of living such a lie. Anyways, today I had orientation for nursing school and did not know what to expect. I ran into this really outspoken straight acting guy that was in one of my previous classes so we just began talking about class etc. He then gets more personal and asks stuff like if I'm in a relationship. I hate when people ask me things like that because I hate lying to them about who I am. Then just out of the blue like a total blow he asked real quiet if I was gay! I kind of froze and didn't know what to say because no one knows. Anyway, I said yes and he said he was too and could just kind of tell that I was. He said sorry didn't mean to "out you" but I was actually pretty okay with it! In the end I was relieved because I didn't lie to someone for once an even though I can never think of telling anyone else yet ever again I was very happy with myself for finally telling the truth. And happy someone besides my mom finally asked! Plus his boyfriend is a doctor and said he could hook me up with someone haha. I said maybe in a few years. Thanks for reading!

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    congrats! While I'm sure it a difficult moment, it definitely feels good to be out to someone.

Also, little hint: Male nursing students = very good possibility they are gay. It's one of those stereotypically gay professions, so you'll probably find quite a few other guys in the program who are gay :slight_smile:

3. Tizinsane

Out Status:
    A few people
    CONGRATS!! Thats awesome!! I really love moments like that where you can be completely honest with someone.

4. Epipleptic

What great story! Thanks for sharing. I'm hoping someone asks me (I really don't know who).

5. Ianthe

I'm glad you had a good experience with it. I think he should have told you he was gay before asking you, really, but it seems like he was nice about it.

You don't have to let him hook you up, but it would be really good for you to develop a friendship with him. Actually, what I recommend is that you tell him that you aren't ready to look for a boyfriend just yet, but that you'd really like to have some gay friends.

Also: You can probably change your out status to: One gay classmate in nursing school.

Congratulations!