1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does coming out make it better?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by dc101, Jun 16, 2012.

1. dc101

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I spent most of last night thinking about it and decided that I can't go on living in the closet and going crazy. As I've already distanced myself from just about everyone it only leaves me with my parents to come out to.

So I was wondering as my last link to the sane world would coming out to my parents make things better or worse? Keeping in mind that they've never agreed with homosexuality and are waiting for the wedding followed by loads of grandchildren. I know for a fact that this will completely change their views and plans on a lot of things in life.

2. Lewis

I think even if they didn't accept it, it would feel way better to have it out in the open, rather than hiding it. If you feel you have it in you to tell them and that you're ready, go for it.

I'm currently far from ready, I completely accept that I'm gay and have grown into a mindset of being glad that I'm gay, I'm a much better person for it and I just think it gives me something to think about I guess. My parents are really open-minded and accepting of gay people, but I just can't bring myself to tell them. It's something I've carried with me for so so long and can't bare the though of expressing it.

Let us know if you do tell them and how things go! Good luck :slight_smile:

3. TeeJay

TeeJay Guest

You can still have the wedding and loads of grandchildren. Coming out needs to be done when your ready to do it. Nobody can tell you to do it, it's a choice you have to make. Will it make things easier? It depends, use common sense. Would your parents hurt you mentally or physically? Would they kick you out of the house? Would they be verbally abusive to you (call you names, criticize you for your choice, put you down for it)? These are things you have to consider before taking such a big step. Read what others have had to say about coming out and what there fears where before hand, and how things turned out for them.

If you decide that it is safe enough for you to come out, then yes... life is much better afterwards just because you don't have that secret stuffed inside you any more. By getting rid of that secret you free yourself and you take a great weight off of your shoulders. It can still be tough because you might have a whole new set of problems (as described by people in other posts). But find and LGBTQ group and make some new friends and they will help with a lot of the problems you will face. On the other hand you might not have any problems and life will be great.

So I wish you the best of luck and keep us updated on what happens. No matter what you will always have people on here you can talk to.

4. Ianthe

You refer to it as your last link to the sane world.

You are going insane in the closet.

If your choice is to go mad, or die, or come out, you should definitely come out. Whatever disaster might follow coming out, it will not be as bad as madness or death.

From what I remember from your other threads, I think you should definitely come out.

5. dc101

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks for your replies, I'm at home with my parents all day today so if the subject comes up I might just come out and say it. If not I think I'll plan ahead for it.

You're right Ianthe, I am going insane in the closet and often think I'd be better in a padded cell where I can run at the walls :slight_smile:

6. Mej7

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it does. It's liberating.

7. Pain

Pain Guest

Well, I had a great experience. Family wasn't as scary for me as friends, and all the friends were so supportive of me... If anything, yes, it got better in my experience. I don't regret one thing I did in coming out. I just wish it were easier to get that courage surge :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. silkfrog1292

To be honest, i don't really know. Before i came out i always thought that by telling someone, ANYONE what i am i will make myself feel better and less alone. So i came out and told someone.

It didn't work as i thought it would. In all respects all it did was made me even lonelier and depressed. The fact that i can't "hide" my feelings any longer means that i'm suddenly forced to deal with a lot of emotions i have never felt before and many problems and questions i didn't need to think about or seemed distant to me before became very "real".

But just because i didn't get my desired effect, doesn't mean it applied to everyone. If you believe that coming out would be good, and the circumstances allow it, then i would say go for it. :slight_smile:

I wish you the best of luck in whatever you endeavour to do.

9. dc101

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks everyone, I was thinking about coming out today as I was at home with my parents all day but it didn't happen. I need to think about it more and maybe plan it rather than just hoping for the right moment.