1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ways to show you're gay...without everyone knowing?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by bob94, Jun 16, 2012.

1. bob94

So this Fall, I'll be going to college. I'm so excited about meeting new people, specifically other LGBT people. But I'm worried that I'll have trouble with other gays knowing I'm gay because I really don't act very "gay." But I also don't want everybody to know that I'm gay because...well I really don't know why. I guess I'm just not ready for that, yet.

So what are some ways to show that you're gay without going around draped in rainbows? I was thinking about wearing a pride ring. Something like this: [​IMG]

I don't think that it's so over-the-top that every person would know, but I think it's obvious enough that other gay people would pick up on it. What do you guys think? (also, which finger would you wear it on?)

2. Deaf Not Blind

well i sign, so i would notice right away and wonder if you gay not anything else...note I'm transgender i would not wear that so id not assume you were trans.

hmmm...maybe just dress really clean and coordinated? it makes many wonder if could be gay but not enough to keep some girls from thinking oooh a nicely dressed guy lets see if he is interested! any rainbow stuff i assume gay, triangle added gayness guarantee.

btw, I'm going to a new university in fall too! I'm newly out to myself and do not want to dress female anymore, but am trying to not overly show I'm a guy by certain clothes that are obviously male. somewhat successful so far, one guy liked my jeans then said wait are those mens? i said yup, and we just started talking about stuff. no issues.

3. bob94

What exactly do triangles mean? I guess I don't know very much gay symbolism lol. And isn't it such a relief to be going to a new school?! I'm happy just for the fact that it'll be a new start and I don't have to hide myself as much.

4. Ridiculous

Pink triangles were the symbol stuck on gay men when they were imprisoned in concentration camps by the Nazis. Not something I would particularly want to wear, but some people like it for some reason.

5. bob94

Ohhhh, I didn't know that :/ But those are multi-colored triangles, so I think it's different (at least I'll tell myself that so I don't feel bad about wearing it, if I get it).

6. Deaf Not Blind

well that is exactly why i would double think i was seeing a gay man in front of me. :slight_smile: triangles + rainbows! all you need now is add Pride and unicorn and you will be fully out proud gay.

so, if that not your plan, that is why i mention a clothing style change not symbols of gay pride.

it may not be what you look for as gay, but at college many will see it and know straights too.

some gays wear certain more sensual style clothing that is not feminine but more couture than any straight guy likes.

i know a couple brands look very nice and tasteful you get online orders if you want.
    often snugger slim fit is a sign of gayness, but again, not overtly proclaimed so gays will notice but some straight girls will just think you are hot too.

#6 Deaf Not Blind, Jun 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  7. bob94

What brands were you thinking? I'm pretty skinny, and I already wear some more snug-fit clothing. I foolishly googled "snugger slim fit," thinking it was a brand. The first thing to pop up was small sized condoms -__-

8. Deaf Not Blind

9. bob94

Ooooooh, I like those clothes!! That sweater is sexxxxy!!!! Yeah, I'd definitely wear those. And they really do look gayish, without being over-the-top. Thank you!

10. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wear a bracelet...it's very subtle, but anyone who's gay will most definitely notice.

11. WonderWoman81

Lol @pinklov3ly. I totally agree with your signature image!

12. SpaceOddity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Out of curiosity - why do you have to let other people know your sexual preference? Is it just to meet people in hopes of maybe getting into a relationship if you're single? Or..

I wouldn't worry about it, personally. If you want to be accepted for who you are I think the best thing to do is to just be who you are and do what feels natural to you :slight_smile:

13. NoXsOrOs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Reviving a zombie post hmm..

14. SpaceOddity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Doing the exact same thing and offering nothing of value to the thread, hmmm....

15. 108

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I ordered a little subtle bracelet, not overly flashy or colorful, more to be comfortable myself than necessarily attract attention. I don't know, lol. I'm a normal but quiet/shy guy, masculine and nobody would suspect I was anything but straight. I don't know people in the community and sort of want people to know, to make friends etc. I dress plain, jeans and tshirts like everyone else, plain dark colors because I'm boring.

16. guitar

I've worn a pride bracelet for the past year and that helps BIG time. Most people don't notice it, and gays usually spit it immediately.

17. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, no... I did that once, years ago, and it got me fired from my job.

18. Night Rain

She was letting you know that you two were posting in a dead thread. Don't be so quick to judge others.

#18 Night Rain, Jun 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  19. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Omg where were you working?!!!

20. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Staples.

EDIT: A Staples managed by a small-minded asshole.

#20 Benway, Jun 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2016