1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why would God do this to me?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by vhrebels, Jun 16, 2012.

1. vhrebels

vhrebels Guest

Alright, so I've been going to church recently and they are talking about how they believe homosexuality is against the bible. Why would God make me the way that I am if he discourages my lifestyle? I've also looked for specific instances in the bible where Jesus or God said anything about homosexuality and I couldn't find anything. So, why do christians
    hate gays if the bible doesn't clearly say anything about it. Also, are there any churches that are ok with the LGBT community? I might just be going to the wrong church or something.

2. rachealli

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hiya :slight_smile:

I just found this awesome post which says it all really
    About homosexuality and religion | Picshag.com

I don't know where you are from but there is a church in my city that accepts everyone regardless of their denomination, sexuality, ethnicity, I'm sure there must be a place near you that is like that.

Take care,

Rachel

3. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Without getting too much into the topic, I have read several versions of the bible, in several languages, and I can at least tell you that different versions of the bible sometimes say drastically different things about homosexuality. One passage in a modern version might say something that sounds pretty harsh, but different versions might have a more obscure or totally different meaning, possibly one that has nothing to do with homosexuality at all. I don't have the references at hand, but if you want I will try to see if I can locate them - in one particularly revealing case, a passage that seemed to advocate "ex-gay" types of therapy turned out in the original Latin version (the farthest back I can go with the languages I know) to have nothing to do with gay people at all.

SO, to sum up, "it's in the bible" is often a very simple answer to a complex issue. The immediate response that should often be asked is, "which Bible"? Because depending on the version you're reading, the content can (sometimes) vary dramatically. So part of the process, I believe, has to do with your own feelings on the subject, and what version you believe best represents the truth. If you like, pick up some different versions sometime and make some comparisons - you might be surprised.

As far as friendly denominations, I think it largely depends on where you are and what each individual church sees as its mission in that area. In my experience, Unitarian Universalist churches tend to be very welcoming, as do Methodist and Episcopalian churches. Baptist churches tend to be hostile, and Catholic churches can be a complete toss up. Don't have any experience with Orthodox churches though. But in any case, those are just my experiences, and depending on where exactly you are and what pastor or priest you're dealing with, the answers can vary.

Hope this helps! It's a complicated question but if this gives you any ideas on how to deal with it, then yay. :slight_smile:

#3 Gravity, Jun 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  4. castle walls

I'm glad that you've looked into the bible yourself instead of just accepting what someone else says about it. I also recommend that you continue studying what the bible really says about this topic. When I was researching the topic, I looked at arguments from both sides of the issue.

I think Matthew Vines (I know I talk about this guy a lot but his speech was that good. It is difficult to find such great information on this topic) is a good place to start when looking for those that support LGBT Christians. For those that are unfamiliar, he basically studied the verses that many Christians use against gays. He has an hour long presentation online. If you can't watch that he has the transcript posted.

Also, there are churches that accept LGBT members. At my church, the pastor is a lesbian. If you google "affirming churches", "accepting churches", "LGBT friendly", etc you should be able to find a few directories that will find an accepting church (if there is one) in your area. Adding your denomination to the search may make it easier. For example, if you're Catholic, you could search "Catholic LGBT Church" or something along those lines

If there is anything else I can do to help you, please let me know

5. davidroberts

jusus dint write that ppl did .. he loves you as you are and doesnot judge you :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

6. Messed Up

Messed Up Guest

Hi, welcome to EC. I have my struggles with my sexuality from time to time but one thing I don’t struggle with is my sexuality and my Faith. The Lord Loves me and He Loves you too. If you ever want to talk with a fellow Christian feel free to say “Hi” on my wall or talk with me in a PM.

People fear what they do not understand. I can see you’re in Alabama and I KNOW what they feel towards gays but here in Canada some churches are LGBTQ friendly and welcome the LGBTQ. It could be the culture that you live in (Southern) that could be the main factor. God made you this way beautifully. That is all. :slight_smile: Christ died for all our sins, not just the straight people. The Lord says, “Love others as I have Loved you”, and that is all you need do :slight_smile: Problem is, many Christians forget that famous quote and play Devil’s Advocate instead of Follower of Christ when they choose to target the LGBTQ. Stick true to your faith and let none dissuade you or make you feel like you a inherently made of sin because you are what you are... you are a Child of God, made by His Own Masterful Hands...the very same Hands that Crafted the Cosmos...think about that :wink:

<3

7. JB75

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Welcome vhrebels!
    Coming to terms with being gay affects so many aspects of our lives and faith is definitely part of that. I grew up in a small town in Tennessee, going to church three times a week. It was Southern Baptist and became more fundamental over time. When I moved to Alabama after college I never did find a new church but I still have a strong faith. As I've come to terms with being gay I've thought a lot about what I've been taught in church fits into this reality. Like you, I don't find any place where Jesus talks about homosexuality, even in parable. What I find over and over is that God loves us as we are.

There are good resources to help you. One site that I found helpful was Gay Christian 101 - Affirming God's good news and Bible truth for all GLBTs.. And there are churches, even in Alabama, that are gay affirming. They do not preach being gay but do allow for a safe place to worship. As others have said, if you want to talk more please don't hesitate to contact me.

8. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

You have gotten some really good answers so I'll just mention some awesome documentaries that really helped me out in understanding everything that was going on.

For the Bible Tells Me SO:

One of the best documentaries that touch on what the bible says about homosexuality. It also follows 4 families and shows you how they handled everything when their children came out to them. Its on Netflix so if you want you can watch it by getting the one month free trial.

[YOUTUBE]ajBR0dq0XXk[/YOUTUBE]

Through My Eyes:

Way more easy going than most documentaries. Its gay christians being interviewed about their believes and what they felt like when they started coming out. It doesn't touch on any specific passages, but its interesting to see that you aren't the only person out there.

[YOUTUBE]PyIFcMHHTRg[/YOUTUBE]

9. vhrebels

vhrebels Guest

Thanks everyone for your help! I'll keep looking into what the different translations of the bible say about homosexuality.

10. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Whenever somebody asks "Why am I gay?", I always answer "Because you got lucky."

Lex

11. pastol

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    According to The Bible, Paul wrote in Romans 9:20: “But who are you, O man, to answer back to God? Will what is molded say to its molder, ‘Why have you made me like this?’”

The following link is to an article that I think you will find very interesting. I wish you the best vhrebels. I too struggled through my youth with the religion that I was indoctrinated into from birth.

God May Hate My Underwear, But Does He Hate Me?

#11 pastol, Jun 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  12. TheRealMe

TheRealMe Guest

I have struggled with this as well. My situation is probably different from most, but I won't elaborate too much besides to say that I am a Christian. I am also an ordained minister in the Southern Baptist denomination. Over the years, even though I have preached that being gay is a sin, a choice, and totally wrong, I have come to believe that this is how God made me. I certainly did not choose to be gay. Why would anyone CHOOSE to have society ostrisize them, hate them, threaten them, kill them? Why would anyone choose to risk alienation from one's own family and friends? Sadly, because I am still serving in the SB denomination, I must continue to preach against it...against my own self. The reason that I must continue is because I am not out to anyone and am not yet comfortable in coming out. I have however started speaking out against radical beliefs and injustices done by not only the rest of society, but in particular, the Church. Some disagree with me, but I will always stand on the side of love, justice, and fairness. This is what I feel Jesus would have done.

Here are my thoughts:
    Over the years, it was drilled into me that being gay was a sin. It was a sin that gays chose to live in, thus seperating themselves from God and His love. Many Christians quote scriptures that give them what they feel as justification for saying this. Most will quote Leviticus. This book is part of the Pentatuch, the law. There are 613 laws that the Jews were to follow and it covered everything from what was and wasn't considered "work" on the Sabbath, to how to deal with unruly children, to what sexual practices were appropriate, to what you could eat.

Many quote Leviticus to say that "Man shall not lie with a man as he does with a woman. It is an abomination. They shall both be put to death and their blood is upon them." Abomination in those days simply meant "unclean." Leviticus also tells us that it was an abomination for a man to have sex with a woman during her menstrual period. Children who disobeyed their parents were to be stoned to death. The daughters of priests who turned to prostitution were to be burned at the stake. Couples who had sex during the woman's menstrual period were to be exiled and shunned.

When Christ came, He said that He was the fulfillment of the law. He made a new covenant with us so that we were no longer bound by the law. Paul tells us that in Christ, there is no condemnation. The law of the OT does not apply to the NT Christian. Peter saw a sheet falling from heaven with all kinds of different things that the law forbade him to eat. God told him to kill and eat. When Peter protested saying, "No, Lord. I can't it what is unclean." God commanded him to kill and eat and not to call unclean what He had made. If God allowed Peter to go against the law, then isn't a valid argument that the law of the OT does not apply to modern day believers?

We no longer literally interpret stoning children who disobey their parents. If we did, everyone would be dead. Even things that we do not consider to be major moral afflictions today (disobedient children, sex during menstration, eating pork, shellfish, etc.), in those days even relatively minor offenses were punishable by death.

The Bible says that we are fearfully and wonderfully made. It is the will of God that man not be alone, and I don't feel that God wants anyone, gay or straight, to be alone. The Bible says that God loves and extends grace to everyone. He is no respector of persons and one sin is not greater than the other. God simply cannot hate because God Himself is love.

Remember this: No matter what anyone else says, God made YOU just how He wanted you to be. The Bible says that YOU are His masterpiece. A masterpiece is perfect; the piece of art that the artist is most proud of. God loves YOU just the way you are.

I didn't mean to ramble so much, but I hope this offers a little hope and inspiration for you. Even when all the world forsake you, God promised to never leave. You have a support system here. Best wishes on your journey!

13. Calico

People use the bible to cover up their own homophobia and "god says so" usually just means "my homophobia is totally pointless". The Divine Spirit is more than all of us, and It did not write the bible. It has many names, of which God is just one, and of course it loves you. You are you, are you not?
    ( sorry if I sound kinda weird. It's just how I am)