1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Contacting to-be roommate?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Noir, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Noir

I have absolutely no idea how to go about contacting my roommate!! I don't want to call on the phone because it'll be awkward, but I don't know if it would be weird to send her a friend request on FB out of the blue! We've already gotten each other's contact info through the mail, so I was able to look her up, at least. Her Facebook doesn't let you send a message unless you're friends with her already. I sent her an email to her school account (the one they gave me) but I have no idea if she'll even get it until right before the move! I'm so nervous, i don't know what kind of person she is!! :tears:

Luckily, I've already met my sister's roommate in person and she's pretty cool, but as it is I'll end up visiting their room a lot.

Should I just wait and stop being so anxious? Or should I just send her a friend request?

2. TeeJay

TeeJay Guest

I take it this is in regards to college and dorm life? If it is then when my niece went to college there was a day at the college (a lunch I guess) where all the girls got to meet there roommates and received other information. I don't see any reason why you can't send a friend request at least then your trying to communicate with her. But I guess to be on the safe side you should contact the college first and see how this "routine" is suppose to play out, that way you don't break any rules. If this isn't about college or dorm life then perhaps you can adjust this advice to whatever it is your doing. Good luck.

3. BudderMC

Did they not give you an e-mail? I figured that would make more sense.

I'd say just send her a friend request. It's not like you're trying to creep all over her... I haven't sent a request in a long time, but can't you send a message along with it? Just say something about how you received her contact info from the school and you wanted to introduce yourself but you weren't sure how to go about contacting her. I'm sure if you approach it casually she'll (hopefully) take the same mindset.

4. Pain

Pain Guest

Actually, calling isn't so bad. My older sister's and brother's roommates both called in advance, and you can just plan out the a simple conversation. Things you want to bring, I think, was the major topic. Talk about classes you're taking, anyone you already might know on campus.... It never seemed awkward when I heard parts of those conversations.

5. castle walls

I agree with this. My first year of college they told us that we should first call our future roommates and not text, email, FB, etc. Although I get your hesitation since I don't like talking on the phone, I think a phone call may be best. That way you don't have to worry about if your roommate never checks her email (especially if it is a school account since some people ignore them during the summer), if she never checks her FB, etc.

Like QueVidaLaMia said, you could call and ask about what she plans on bringing. For example, if shes bringing a refrigerator then chances are you won't need to bring one (some schools only allow one per room). At the end of the conversation, you can always say "I just wanted to introduce myself. Its been nice talking to you. I'll see you on move in day." If you keep it casual and short, I don't think it will be too awkward.

If you really don't want to call her on the phone, then I'd go with the FB friend request. Just tell her that you're her new roommate, you emailed her school account but then thought FB would be a better way to contact her