1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are they secretly gay or straight?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by TheKid, Jun 17, 2012.

1. TheKid

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So here's the thing, I came out to pretty much my entire school - besides teachers, and well since then I have had two guys who appear to be interested, just perhaps they are afraid to find out or perhaps afraid others will find out. So how do I think I know? Well in conversation one of them stated they were unsure of their sexuality, I don't think he's gonna be the type that would care what other people think, but maybe he's afraid to ask me if he can experiment, I just feel awkward asking if he would like to experiment to find out, After all I'm the only person in my school to come out openly gay - which doesn't make my life any more interesting and he's a good looking guy so I wouldn't mind. As for the other boy he's a little more complicated, he's one of the popular types which doesn't make it easier for me to know if I should take him seriously or not, in conversation he seems pretty interested in how I managed to come out, what relationships are like being gay etc, he occasionally gives hints to him having interest in me, from these hints I don't know if I should take them seriously and go from there or to see them as him trying to humiliate me in front of others, nobody really has a problem with me being gay so I'm unsure wether to take the hint and play along or to ignore him, Ideas? It would be nice to know that there are some other guys that are Gay/Bisexual but well I thought I would get another opinion before I let my optimism take control.

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC! I'd say chances are decent that they're both gay (or bi). But I'd say it's less likely that they're interested. They certainly could be, but they might just be gay and want somebody to talk to about "gay stuff", if that makes any sense.

What should you do? Just work on befriending them. Don't leap straight into "you want to fool around" territory. Get used to talking to them about everyday things, and they'll presumably start opening up some more. You can always lay a bit of groundwork by giving some hypotheticals. If they're discussing relationships, you might say something like "Well, that would depend. If I knew you were gay and interested in me, I think it'd be fun to date somebody like you, but I'm guessing neither of us would really like the whole school knowing and giving us grief about it."

Lex

3. TheKid

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for the quick reply and welcome! I'll try and get to know them a bit more, It would be nice if they were Gay/Bi because knowing I'm not the only gay/bi in the school would brighten up my day a little, I feel at times so lonely, even with the supportive friends I have. Although from what I've read that appears to be what to expect time to time.