1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to a best friend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Soltec, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Soltec

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Alright, so I've decided that I need to come out to my best friend. She's always been there for me, she's never pushed me further than I could handle, so that won't be much of a problem, and, damnit, I want to be able to tell her when I think a guy is hot.

So, I need some advice on how to set this up. My fear about telling her at this point revolves around whether or not she'll take me seriously. She might think that I'm just confused or something. At the same time, I don't want to make a really massive issue out of this because, even though I take it very seriously, it doesn't change who I am, nor does it change the person she knows and is friends with. I'm just expressing another part of myself that's been there all along.

I'm basically wondering how you guys would approach this. Would a big, written statement be appropriate, or maybe just bluntly saying "I'm bisexual"? Or something in between?

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you don't want to make such a big deal about it...don't set it up. Just tell her. You might phrase it in terms of an actor or famous person. "Do you think (guy) is hot?" And whatever she says, then say "I think he's pretty hot myself." There, done.

Lex

3. pastol

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    She's your best friend, you do not want to send her a written statement. You know you don't want to do that. Have dinner (or something) and ask her "Sally, how well do you think you know me?" with a big grin on your handsome face, of course. Make it a fun moment. Not an "Oh my gawd I dread doing this but..." type of thing. Oh, and pick up the tab after. It's a nice touch of class.

4. Soltec

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I would definitely do that...but she is three-thousand miles away and I won't see her in person for two months. Still, it might be a good idea to just wait.

5. rainbowfox

I did it like this, me and my best friend went out for dinner, we talked a lot about her BF, then she asked what's up whit me? then I asked her to sit then told her in a short phrase :slight_smile: she asked lots of Qs, that I'm sure, what is my plan and etc :slight_smile: and i answered all of them in a calm tone
    just tell it when you are calm in a short phrase whit a big smile :slight_smile: