1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pridefest and...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SimplyJay, Jun 18, 2012.

1. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I know there's a number of other Pride threads in various forums here (and I posted in some of them too, but um...I didn't want this to end up hijacking one of those threads)

First the good news:
    I went to Pridefest in the closest city to me on saturday. I wandered through the vendor booths area first, and then went and watched some of the musical acts - one of the main reasons for going is for the music :slight_smile:
    As expected there was a good sized crowd of people there. I enjoyed it, the music was good, and was basically a good way to spend a few hours of the day

Then on sunday I went back into the city for the Pridefest parade (my 1st Pride parade) Pretty good overall. I don't know how many entries were in it, but it seemed like allot...if anything it was a bit too long (I heard others around me mentioning this as well) I think close to 2 hours.
    (I left right afterwards because I had something to finish up at home)
    But I went back to the festival later on mainly to see one of the musical acts. I also a wandered around the festival some, before her show started.
    Like last yere was tons of people there Overall both the parade and the shows both days, I gotta say it was good experience & I'm glad I went :slight_smile:
    The weather on saturday was nice (high 70's/low 80's) and partly cloudy :slight_smile: But the weather sunday was too hot: mid-to upper 90's and full sun - no clouds around (but humidity atleast was low in the singile-digits) I spent too much time out in that blaring sun (mainly at the parade) and got sunburned a bit.
    My thing on sunday where I did the parade then went home, then went back. well that wasn't the greatest, it really chopped up the day... but I got finished what I was working on, and besides I needed to get out of the sun anyway after that parade)

The bad news:
    On Sunday I might have in-advertenty outed myself to my mother. She knows I went "downtown" and saw "a parade"
    but Pridefest wasn't the only event running in the city (I believe the only parade though I'm not sure she knows that because) there was also something called "Juneteenth", and I believe there was a sporting event (Baseball) as well as some sorta comics-related thing at the convention center
    So I really must stress the might have in that statement. But if so thats very bad news pretty much to the point where.. um.. I might have to 'not be around'.
    At this point in time I'm currently living with my parents for financial reasons (and I truly don't mind living there either)
    I don't even know why I'm posting this crap .. what I don't want is for you guys to worry about me, so please don't worry.
    Like I said its "might have" I don't know for sure.

I knew well before going to stuff like pride there were (possibly big) risks involved. I was willing to take the risk and went (which I enjoyed going), but well, might have made alittle mistake....

anyway that's enough for now...

ps.
    I'm not looking for 'Support and Advice' but just couldn't decide which forum to put this in :slight_smile:

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, the parade does tend to go on and on. But I think that's a positive. Hell, if we have that many people and organizations that want to take part, it's a good thing, right? :slight_smile: Luckily, they do a pretty good job mixing things up, so not all the bars are together, not all the politicians are together, etc. I do wish some people would get some more creativity into what they're doing - so much of it seems just like "wear rainbow clothing and hold a banner".

And yes, Denver was busy as hell last weekend. Pride, Juneteenth, ComicCon, Warped Tour. I was either going to go to Pride or Warped yesterday, but with temperatures nearing 100, the idea of hanging out in a street or parking lot wasn't very compelling. :slight_smile:

If your mother says something, answer honestly. But I think she won't. It sounds like your family does a lot of "not talking about stuff", in which case, this may just get added to the list. :slight_smile:

Lex

3. Deaf Not Blind

if it was not so long i would have completely missed ours! i posted a couple pix my wall. IOm glad I went, I feel happier as a person and feel better about being me.

It was not all rainbows here! We had a really diverse parade in more than one away: churches, children, Indian tribes in full native gear, Go Red for Women, elderly and gays in wheelchairs, and that is just the end of it.

well at least you are an adult not a 13 yr old on here, be glad for that, as you are mature enough to find ways to cope.

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The parade went on for a little over 2 hours in Columbus too!! I did not put any sunscreen on.. which in hindsight was a terrible idea...

I had a great time. I barely made it in time for the parade though. I had a rough time finding a parking spot. (there was something close to 200,000 people there).

I also went to the festival. I bought a couple shirts and a flag.

We had a pretty diverse parade too. We had: Churches, local news stations, animal rights groups, political parties, bike groups, and the list goes on and on. It was really pretty cool.

Hopefully your mom won't figure it out. If there were other events going on, it would be really hard for her to prove that you were at pride.

5. Ianthe

Many straight people watch the Pride parade.

Because, you know, it's a giant spectacle, kind of entertaining.

Also, I don't know if you are even out to her as an ally, but many people go for that reason, too. Going to the parade doesn't mean you are gay. So you're probably fine.

6. Epipleptic

I think I know how you feel with regard to feeling outed (I live with my parents as well). The same feeling made me miss what was probably a good time with nice people at a recent pride event, so good for you for going. For me, I pictured being outed in my head and it became the only possible outcome. But it's actually not. I think you feel that way because you know where you were and it's what you're thinking about. In truth, though, you don't know actually know what your mother thinks or knows. Did you say you were downtown? Were there news stories? Did she even see them? She may be so certain that you're straight that your attending a pride parade is not even possible. She may not be thinking about it all. (and you don't have to answer those questions).

7. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    re:Lexington
    Yep it is a positive thing seeing so many different companies/groups take part :slight_smile:
    Warped Tour woulda been cool to see (forgot about that one being on as well..but after you mentioned it I do remember the radio station I was listening to in the car talking about it)
    Yep, your correct in that my family does a lot of "not talking about stuff".
    It would depend on what my mother said/asked as to how truthfully I'd respond. If she (or any family member) was to flat out ask if I was gay, then I'd have to lie
    (there were no questions or comments today)

re: Deaf Not Blind
    I think I got a little trigger-happy on the camera LOL between the 2 days I ended up taking over 400 images plus some videos :slight_smile:
    (Some of that's gonna probably end up on YouTube (depending on how it turned out)...but the hard-drives are nearly full on all my computers which also makes it hard...
    I think I know what you mean by "I feel happier as a person and feel better about being me." ... I experianced something sorta like that last year after my first pride (just went to the festival part)
    There was good diversity in the parade here, everything from gay bars to churches to elected officials, young people, old People, plus local and national companies

re: thecat06
    I did not put any sunscreen on (I honestly don't like the stuff) but in this case that wasn't a good idea. I didn't expect the parade to be as long as it was (and just didn't think about the fact that the city can be easily 10 degreese warmer than where I live)
    The parade I can't say for sure...but I don't think she'll figure out I was the festival part of pride. :slight_smile:

re: Ianthe
    Yeah I noticed there were a number of straight couples around.
    My mom (and other family members too) know that I have nothing against gay people, and that they should bellowed to marry.

re: Epipleptic
    Yep she knows I was downtown..
    When I came home after the parade she asked something like:
    "where were you? downtown at one of those crazy parades? "
    without really thinking I just said "yep"
    the next question was along the line of "where did the random idea to go down there come from"
    I just replied "it truly was random"
    <the conversation ended at that point..don't remember for sure I think the phone rang or something>
    A bit later she asked if it was crowded (she knew there were multiple events going on and mentioned some of them (one being "the gay parade"))
    and I said yeah there was tons of people down there.

Pridefest always makes the TV news and Paper since it is a major event in the city :slight_smile:

I think my saveing grace might be she knows "one of those crazy parades" ... and not which one in particular (in reality Pridefest I believe was the only one)
    She also knows that I went to "sort-of a free concert" downtown on sunday afternoon
    and "kind of a party" on Saturday (without a location)
    Both of those were Pridefest in reality...and well I didn't lie :slight_smile: it is "kind of a party" and does have "free concerts"

She had no more questions or comments today (and acted no differently)
    If she figured out "which parade" she didn't say anything.

8. Epipleptic

I hear ya, I have a meddling mother to deal with. She made a big deal about a museum trip with an LGBT group even without telling her it was LGBT. It would be easier if she made outright objections, but instead it's questioning why I would want to go and vocal surprise at my completely normal activities. It eats at me. It makes Pride season complicated, especially with it being the first time I'm comfortable enough with myself to go. Sometimes it feels like it would be better to be out and fight through whatever trouble gets stirred up. But that's another thread...

9. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I can't imagine making a big deal out of a museum trip :eek:

Yep it deff makes Pride season complicated, in a way I feel like I have to sneak around
    I honestly don't know If I'd go to the parade again next year for a couple reasons:
    2 years in a row & she'd probably figure it out as to just which parade I went to :eek: that I can't risk.
    and standing out in that blaring sun on a hot dry day I got kinda fried LOL (if it was cloudy & cooler that wouldn't be an issue)

The festival part of pride...that I'd deff go back to again :slight_smile: (actually sucks its only once a year, don't know why but I kinda enjoy going even if its all alone by myself...)