1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Proposal Advice?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Irish Nurse, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Irish Nurse

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hey Folks!,

Just registered here (wish I'd found sites like this when I was coming out :slight_smile: )

I'm 21, Northern Irish, a student nurse studying in Scotland, and I have an.. etiquette question.

It will be mine and my boyfriends 4 year anniversary the 1st of November, and I was thinking of proposing on the day. We'll both be out of education by that point, so I could always pop the question and wait a while until we've both got a more stable job before splashing out on an event.

Most of the advice I've found online is for Lesbian couples, so does anyone have any advice for a man and a man?

Do I just buy him an engagement ring? or do we both get one? Since I've got a low income, I was thinking of a plainer band, like Titanium or Tungsten, or saving for something fancier, with a single inset stone I mean, I don't think he'd appreciate a showy diamond!

And then what do we do for the actually wedding/civil partnership ceremony? get another band? Or just get two engagement bands and exchange them?

Sorry for asking sooooo many questions on my first post! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Lastly.. any advice on actually popping the question? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2. AshenAngel

AshenAngel Guest

Ok, I have a couple real- life gay friends but none of them are in a serious enough relationship to even consider proposing- but here's what I would do if I were in your position. If you eat out more often, taking him to a nice restaurant (as nice as you can afford) near you. If you don't eat out very often, go anyway because it will make your night even more special for the two of you. <3 as for rings, buy three. two for him and one for you. A nice, simple, elegant band with a few smaller sized diamonds centered in it would be a good baseline for finding one to propose with. the other two can be even simpler- though I personally am partial to a braided- style wedding band because it can symboloze the uniting of souls. Anyway, back to the proposal itself. Wait until after dinner and dessert have been finished. You front the bill (obviously) then, find a placw where you can be alone with him (it doesn't have to be in the restaurant if you don't want to. perhaps the place you met? Balconies, parks, or really any good place with a nice view and privacy are a must ( there must be some incredible scenery in Scotland, I personally long to go). You might want to mention how long you've been together, what he means to you, and things like that before you kneel. He'll say yes, then you can kiss him. The rest of the night is up to you. I totally just winged it- But I hope this helps!!

3. AshenAngel

AshenAngel Guest

Soo... yeah. Maybe message me sometime? Tell me about Scotland or something? I love to talk and I love listening even more. I'm here for you... and anyone else who needs me :slight_smile:

4. Irish Nurse

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thanks for your advice! and sorry for this being image heavy!!

I'm eyeing up a titanium band with a single diamond for the engagement, and 2 tungsten bands for the ceremony.

I was thinking of proposing at Edinburgh castle :slight_smile:

And I don't know where to start about Scotland! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I can tell you a bit about Edinburgh and Stirling though!, they're both old, old cities with beautiful architecture and views.

Here's a view from Stirling Castle, in the city I live in;
    [​IMG]

And heres a shot of Edinburgh Castle;
    [​IMG]

A monument in the centre of Edinburgh to the author Sir Walter Scott;
    [​IMG]

Edinburgh is a great place for students :slight_smile: there's a massive meadow in the centre of Edinburgh, lined with cherry blossom trees. People go there to study and there's always jugglers or tightrope walkers!;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There is a comedy, music and arts festival every year too, that starts in August. We get tourists from all over and there's loads of comedians and shows :slight_smile:
    Home | Edinburgh Festival Fringe

If you wanna know anything else let me know! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: and yes, I've had haggis, it's very good :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. AshenAngel

AshenAngel Guest

These are so beautiful! Don't be suprised if I show up at your house one day :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: