1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need advice, How do I tell Her!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by NotYetOut, Jun 18, 2012.

1. NotYetOut

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So ive been hanging out with one of my best friends for a long time now. We go to the movies and meet up every week (once a week on my one day off), and she has twice now made comments about how her parents are asking if we are a "thing" now, because from the outside it appears as though we are dating i guess. I dont know if these are hints from her that she wants to date or something. I dont know how to tell her Im Gay. She is such a good friend and we hang out all the time and I just dont think it would go over well. If I was straight I would not hesitate to date her, I would ask her out right now. But im not. So theres that. I just have no idea what to say, or how to bring it up. I dont think she would take me seriously. Does anyone have any advice? Please and thank you.

2. Ianthe

Have you talked to her at all about gay people? Do you have reason to think she wouldn't be accepting?

Do you think she believes you are dating?

3. Calico

Maybe before you start thinking about how to tell her you should just lightly ask her if she has a crush on you. If she says no than you should tell her at some point but if she says yes than you will have to very gently say that you're not into her, that it's not her fault, and that you're not that interested in dating anybody right now. Then give her some time and space to help her get over you. When she is you can think about telling her.
    When you come out it may be a good idea to say that this is difficult for you and you really need her support and friendship. If you're not too sure about her oinions on gay people perhaps bring up gay marriage or a locl pride event, anything thats been shown on the news fairly recently. Another way is to bring up the subject when someone uses the word gay inappropiately (usually as slang for the word stupid).
    A good time to come out is when you are alone together, and always make sure you feel comfortable. You really need to be able to trust her with this.
    Hope I helped.

4. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Maybe bring up the subject of gay people or gay related topics then you can see her reaction to these.

I mean if she is, as you say, your best friend then I'm sure she will accept you for you. It may surprise her, she might accept it, she go silent for a while or she may not want you as a friend. To be honest there is really no way 100% to tell how these things will go.

Now I'll leave with a little story.
    I've only just accepted myself as "Gay" but have not come out to family. However I did tell my one and only good friend from University whilst we were chatting on facebook and I had no idea how he would react. I was actually nervous that he would reject me and I'd be left friendless and alone. So I went about it by making him say it "Do you think your gay?" to which I answer "Yes" and he was fine with it and actually told me a couple of his friends from school were gay and someone in his family was so, to be honest, it wasn't anything new to him.

I hope my bit of advice and story helped

Kinda Regards and (*hug*)(*hug*)

5. Nukethecloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I have to agree with the people above me. They make some really strong points with your problem.

To elaborate on the topics:

You want to make sure that she doesn't have a crush on your first only because you don't want to spill the beans to her if she finds out she'll never have the chance to have you. Yes, she's your best friend and you get along well together--but sometimes people say things out of anger or she could tell someone (or more) out of anger. Get her side of the story first and see how she copes.

Eventually you'll have to tell her but make sure you're very comfortable with whatever you choose to do. Coming out is a very difficult process (and for some a very easy process) and it needs to be handled on your terms and no one elses.

There may be a good chance that she already suspects that you may be gay and doesn't want to offend you if you're not. She is your best friend after all.

6. NotYetOut

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you all for your response's. I appreciate them :grin:
    I will have to find out what she thinks/feels first before doing anything.

7. mikeman