1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Binder Questions...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Martee, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Martee

Martee Guest

I've been thinking for a while about purchasing a binder. I've read good/bad reviews and seen a few different sites that have more-or-less similar styles.

My question is this:
    For someone who is small chested (34A/B) will a binder help to flatten my chest more than my current attempt to appear flat by wearing just a compression sports bra?

I ask because on a few reviews posted on binder sites and on YouTube, some small chested girls said they thought the binder made their chest actually look bigger than when they weren't wearing it. Even though they bought the proper size and were wearing it correctly. I'd rather not wear one at all, but to have a flat looking chest like I want, I might need to go that route.

**BTW I don't want to be FtM ... I just like how clothes look on me when I have a flat chest and how I feel when I look in a mirror and can't detect a chest; that's all :slight_smile: I feel like this when I look flat (!!)

2. Deaf Not Blind

i don't know, I'm about a 36 B, bigger than you. i just think#1 it feels better on me. it maybe an individual choice. it is too bad there is no way to try it on in store. but thats why we need stores to carry them. there is a market they just not know it!

i think on me the shaping of my chest is much flatter because of the triple material binding, where as a sports bra is designed to not make it jiggle as much exercising. both have some definite positive effects with flattening compared to nothing or a bra. you will really need to just try for yourself if you really hope to know. :slight_smile:

3. Martee

Martee Guest

Thanks DNB. They look like they'd feel better than a bra. I agree...and we should put it out there that the US market needs a store to include binders (I am surprised that there isn't already after how many ppl I've found out wear them). I hate buying clothing things online because I don't like guessing. I didn't know binders had triple-material binding...that's pretty cool. Maybe it will work how I want it then!

I suppose I'll just have to bite it and purchase one I think will fit me based on measurements, style, etc. It'd sate my curiosity if nothing else :wink:

Does it feel just like a tight a-line undershirt? or what?

4. Deaf Not Blind

well right now id say a snug comfy soft feeling of compression, like a nice hug feels. :slight_smile: It is pleasant not painful. i have accidentally forgotten to take it off and fell asleep with it on ..a lot. no, idk what others got that restricts breathing, mine i can play sports in and no problem. baseball was great.

there is soft next to skin layer in front, then the inner tight binding material, then the outer colored breathable material. it looks like a tank top for sports, and some kinds i bet you could work out in as a sports bra.

btw, i got your wall message. i can't message back! :frowning2: get full membership and ill pm u. :wink:

5. Martee

Martee Guest

:frowning2: bummer...okay. i think i have to apply for a full membership, so i'll see about doing that.

The binder sounds like it'd be as comfortable as it can be for having such tight materials. Haha. It'd be nice to have a "hugging" feeling on all day :slight_smile:

Yeah...I was worried about the breathing "issue" that some ppl say they have while wearing it, but if you don't have a problem and you're slightly bigger chested then I think I'll be okay too - I'm thinking they must have bought too small a binder hoping for extreme flatness. One reviewer said they would wear two...and even I know that is prolly not the best of ideas. Mmmk. I'll let you know if I can trick my brain into just buying one soon :lol:

6. Deaf Not Blind

yeah it was expensive and can't really take back, so i gambled. i guessed i was a large, as asians are scrawny and Americans are big. I think I chose right, i maybe could have squeezed on a medium, but i do think it would be painful. see, you have to get it over the stuff you binding! its not as hard as others wrote, but it is like struggling to put on something, snug, rolls up, you gotta find that hem and get it down first! it is only akward doing it 1st time. i get it on and off pretty fast. it is not painful on.
    yeah, better to mess up and get to big, you could get it altered by a seamstress smaller if really important.
    i read some people wear 2 or 3 sports bras...and try to say it feels better than a binder. :confused:
    how?
    ouch!
    it digs in my trapezius, hy would i want 3 times that?
    cost would = a binder then.
    i don't get why everybody says underworks either. you saw em, they are medical for old men! not any more comfy than a cast I'm sure. duh!
    i only invested in one so far, but since used daily, I'm guessing i need one more for summer. but, how do i figure which is not going to hurt my shoulders, binds correctly, and will maybe be good in humid 90 weather?? :/

ps i will post my wall for now until u get yourself fixed.:wink:

7. Martee

Martee Guest

lol. yeah that underworks stuff was definitely not a binder meant for tomboys or FtM's. i'd feel gross wearing it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Their "binders" were unattractive and I definitely wouldn't want to be seen in just that...the other site's binders looked like something someone "normal" would wear, you know? They prolly start relaxing after a few dozen wears too, so on/off would get easier. Practice works for everything :slight_smile:
    I'll maybe try a medium then? I'm 5'9" and about 135-140.

I'd never wear 2-3 sports bras...wouldn't be able to breathe!! how uncomfortable lol.
    I hope you find a "summer binder" on that other site you linked me to, it showed ones that were "breathable" according to their description. idk.

okay thanks.

8. Deaf Not Blind

i think they mean measure inches around chest, cuz you could be scrawny boned or big boned. weight is irrelevant, size is important.

im 5' 6" about 140 lbs.

but i can still take you down girly! so don't get any bright ideas on fun&games.

9. Martee

Martee Guest

mmm true. I'm not scrawny-boned, but neither am I thick-boned. Somewhere in the middle...I call my build, athletic-boned.

Cuz you can definitely see bone and muscles about my body specifically: on my back the spine, ribs if I reach up, hip bones, shoulder blades, collar bones, etc. Basically all my weight on the scale number is from my thigh muscles lol (dam my love of cycling haha). I have very little body fat on my torso. back. and arms. I think that paints you enough picture.

bwahaha...would actually want to try that :slight_smile: I'll get ideas, but won't use them (much) cuz you're witty with your comments/actions lol

---------- Post added 19th Jun 2012 at 01:07 AM ----------

Not to say I look pathetically thin, malnourished, or have anorexia. I just look built but thin. Hard to explain really :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. Martee

Martee Guest

DNB will a binder smash my chest damaging it? I read another review (I should really stop doing that lol) and it said that there could be damage from wearing a binder off/on for extended use...know anything about this or is that all bs? I'm gonna get one soon I just have to narrow it down to what one will suit me :wink: i'm anticipating that I will be incredibly happy with it.

11. Curly

Hello ... I'm not ftm either, but I like the look of a smaller chest when I am wearing guyish clothes.

I tried the 2 sports bras for a while, but it isn't comfortable. Maybe its just the type of bra I was wearing, but it pushes on my traps too much and make it ache after a while. Also, it gets hard to breath.

I also have a underworks one. I guess you don't really like them, but I found that the material is very breathable and it works so much better than sports bras. I actually gained a bit of weight since I bought it so it is a tad too tight on me now and I've actually not worn it for a bit.

DNB, if you don't like the underworks ones, which ones do you get? I live in Canada so its more expensive to ship here. :frowning2:

12. Deaf Not Blind

Well Im not a doctor, I just play one on EC. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    I have only worn a binder since April and I feel right as rain!
    I think some people are doing stupid stuff you and I would not do, and they are also maybe fear mongers. :/
    I can't wait for the 2 new styles I bought to get here, it take a long time...order now for summer. I am wanting the option of no sleeve shirts, but I do not shave underarms.
    (I only started at age 26 to fit in and wear women's sleeveless tanks, I wish I had not bothered to try it)

Actually there are measurements to take on ankle and wrist to see if you are large, medium or small boned.

---------- Post added 25th Jun 2012 at 05:19 PM ----------

I agree about sports bras!

I got mine from loveboat.com and they run smaller side, so be sure to read instructions for sizing accurately. They have you measure largest part of your chest, around the mountaintop, and just under on the bones, which you add both (metric) to get the number which helps you know what size to get.
    I fell into the Large range, though I am rather medium sized person. It fits fine, no problems! Very comfy, no shoulder pain!

13. Martee

Martee Guest

Ugh...yeah doubling up on sport bras is an uncomfortable thing to do. I'm going to finally get a binder soon. I can't wait until I finally order one and it arrives! I must get it before my roommates though...that's the only thing I don't want to happen (them seeing the sender and having questions :confused:). I'm going with either a pull-over or velcro one from loveboat that resembles a sports bra, but it's under a shirt so nobody can tell :slight_smile:

No I don't like the underworks ones. I'm with DNB about the loveboat ones...they look better and not as "medical" you know?

---------- Post added 25th Jun 2012 at 07:38 PM ----------

HAHA...yeah you kinda do lol :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    Okay. I'll trust you on this!
    Yeah, I was watching a YouTube reviewer on binders, and he said that he was wearing TWO binders :eek: I couldn't believe that someone would do that...although they must really hate their chest to want to smash it that much.
    Does it come in a weird box or one that says "loveboat" all over it or whatever? It'll be going to my house and I don't want my roomies to know I'm getting a binder. I wrote above about the one I want to get...I think it was on loveboat that I found that one.
    Yeah it's summer and I'm wearing men's tanks all over so I think the binder will do nicely under those. I do shave my arms obviously because we are different there.
    Why do you wish you never wore a woman's tank?

ps. I'm medium boned...have already been measured at my hospital before for different tests I needed.

14. Deaf Not Blind

Doctor Deaf! :grin:
    Niiiiccce!

Why would a person want to wear 2 binders? Oh, I know, mental health. They think like anorexics: not slim enough! Must make smaller. When they are okay as is.
    They must want it stick flat. A MAN has boobs! Yeah some are nearly not there, they look weird, most have pecks and chubby guys have tits. :wink: About a size A or B some guys I knew in high school for sure! hehe! Yeah I told them they need a bra. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    The bag as I recall was white and had a really small label said Loveboat. It does not say SEXY GAY GIRLS WITH FUCKING BINDERS HOT AND STEAMY INSIDE! no. It was delivered when I was not home by USPS so I had to go get it. Not a big plastic mailer really, and the binder is in a small plastic reusable zipped pouch. I can post a pix my photos if you need me to. It will be less than an inch thick, and 12 inches by 6 inches I am guessing. You will sign for it. So you want to be home when the postman knocks. What I did is after the company emailed me it is shipped and the USPS code, I went on it and had email updates sent, and saw when they planned to deliver. If only I had been home! But you can be. :slight_smile:

Okay, so medium boned female bodied flat chest wannabe, measure them peaks and under them and add up the centimeters and that is the size to get. Like if is 71+5=76, then look for if that is Medium or Large, and if right on a border, there is Eenie Meenie Miney Moe!

I wish I never shaved! I had not until that time I wanted to be without sleeves, I had worn socks and sleeves EVEN SWIMMING when age 20 because I did not want to shave. I do not like how shaving is required for me to show my legs and arms, I am not a sex symbol lady, and I do not like how it changed the way hair grows under my pits...I preferred natural. :frowning2:
    Don't start if anybody has not, don't obey the crowds...it is your body, and culture is just stupid.

15. Martee

Martee Guest

LOL! I love the package description! Yeah I'd track it for sure and hopefully be at home not work when it comes. I'm usually still home when the UPS man is roaming the streets so that's good. Now to just make sure nobody is like "What's that?" "Why is the UPS man ringing the bell?" Ugh. haha

16. Deaf Not Blind

USPS, not UPS. different. united states postal service, your regular mailman.

17. Martee

Martee Guest

oh okay. i wish I could mail it to a different address, but that won't work. it's hard when nobody knows stuff like this about you...

18. Deaf Not Blind

you can! get a post office box!

19. Martee

Martee Guest

lekker! I didn't think of that haha. thanks! now I won't be nervous about buying one and having it sent out.

I'm thinking about this one - binder

20. Deaf Not Blind

good comfort rating! :slight_smile:
    i think it will do good.
    remmy it is not going to make you unnaturally wall flat, it is going to make you look naturally flat.
    you will have to post pix on photos when u get it with your tank over it.

and duh, you mean you never thought about a private post box? now you can order whatever you need and not worry about others seeing it.

you owe me! :grin: (i am rather brilliant)