1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any signs to tell if someone would accept me?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by vhrebels, Jun 18, 2012.

1. vhrebels

vhrebels Guest

Ok, so I really want to come out to some of my friends, but I'm not sure how they would take it. I'm somewhat popular at my school and since I live in the south, everyone would probably quit hanging out with me. Is there any way I could tell if people would dislike me if I came out?

2. IamwhoIam12

Hey, I live in Georgia, so I kinda can relate about the fear of coming out in the south... I attend a larger university (Georgia Southern) and, much to my surprise, I found it to be a very easy place to come out. I only told, and only plan to tell, people that I really should know (close friends, relatives, etc.) and people that ask. But at college, it was nice to be able to start over with a new set of friends that know the transparent me from the beginning. :slight_smile:

But with the close friends that I told, I was just straight up with them: I explained that this is something that has taken a long time for me to admit to myself but that I'm still the same person, the same friend, that they've had the whole time. Everyone has been pretty understanding for me, thankfully. I've had no really negative responses from close friends but I do sense a very small bit of homophobia in my family.

In the end, I think it all comes down to how you present it. Just tell it like it is. Tell them that you understand it may not be easy for them to see you this way and that you're willing to answer any questions that they have. Just help people understand where you're coming from. Again, reaffirm that you are the same friend/person you were before.

Best of luck to you. Message me if I can help, seriously.

---------- Post added 19th Jun 2012 at 12:19 AM ----------

Hah, I'm now realizing that I didn't answer your question... sorry. This is a much shorter answer:
    Ask people about what they think about homosexuality. It may take a while for this to come up in conversation, but it can be a good indicator of their true feelings about it. If you get anything like, "I think that they're going to hell." "I think they just want attention." "I think they are doing it to stand out." or "I think they result from an abusive childhood.", obviously, they misunderstand homosexuality. If they say anything else, you're probably good to go.

Also, having this conversation may be a good time to come out if they have a positive view of homosexuality.

3. stumble along

im in the georgia as well and i made friends with people i connected with. turns out they arent all straight edges either, but i didnt have to wonder if they will accept me or not because they are all liberals, and thus discuss things that only liberals would discuss.

i would go with Iam's idea, but some really good indicators of they will accept you:

if anyone of them is a very hardcore artist/ does a lot of art classes

if they have ever talked about things on Tumblr, doctor who, sherlock holmes

bashing any of the republican candidates

basically if they do any of those things you are pretty much good to go.