1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Well... I've been thinking

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Gazza123, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

So... For the past few days I've been thinking about coming out to my parents. Now let me emphasize that I've only been thinking about this so I'm still not too sure. For all you who are maybe gonna ask this question "Are your parents homophobic?" they aren't and are quite accepting of gay people. In fact the place where my mom works there is a gay guy and she doesn't mind at all.

So my dilemma is... I don't know whether I'm ready to or not. I mean some days I think I am and then I think I'm not. So I don't know whether its me just putting it off and off and off or whether I really I'm not comfortable/good with coming out to parents yet.

Also I was gonna come out over a text and not by directly talking to them. Is this a bad way to go about it?

Anyways that's my little rant for today. Let me know your thoughts

2. dani alyce

Out Status:
    A few people
    I feel exactly the same. I was thinking of leaving my mum a note or something.... hmm.

3. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Yeah. It's just one of those things I go over and over and over again in my head "Should I" "Shouldn't I"

4. timo

I don't have any advice to give as I'm in this situation myself... I spent last weekend at my parents' place and all the time I was thinking "Should I tell them now, or maybe tomorrow? Or should I keep it to myself for now?". It's driving me mad. Apparently I'm not ready to tell them, even though they'll be accepting.

5. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Sounds a bit like me with the questions and that

6. Ianthe

It will be a relief to you to tell them. I would get it out of the way as soon as possible, since you are sure they will be accepting.

I did a lot of my coming out via text messages, but with my parents I felt a more involved message was necessary. I had some other issues I was addressing with my mother, though. One thing to consider: do your parents normally communicate by texting, or is that awkward for them?

Do you think they might suspect at all?

One thing about sending any kind of message, instead of doing it in person, is that then you are stuck waiting in suspense for the response. But if the anxiety of doing it in person will prevent you from going through with it, it might be the best option.

If you do it by text message, you might want to text them and get a response first, and send your "coming out" text after you know they have their phones on and at hand. That will reduce the agonizing suspense.

If you send a text message, what would you say? Since the message will have to be short, you might want to really think about what you want to say.

If you sent the text to your mother while she is at work, she will at least potentially have that gay guy there to ask questions of, if she needs that.

Even if they are very accepting, they may have a strong emotional response. Sometimes, people are shocked themselves that it upsets them--if you had asked them ahead of time, they would have said they'd be accepting no problem--and they are accepting, they just have some strong emotions to deal with. They might be upset that it will be more difficult for you to have children (if they want grandchildren), or they might be really afraid of how you will be treated by other people. So, for that reason, it might be nicer to come out in a somewhat longer format, so that you can address some of their potential feelings and provide some information about how they can get support if they need it.

You could print out the OP from the thread: Stages of Grief and give it to them. Let them know that, as long as they still love you, it's okay if they have some of these other feelings for a while, it's a normal response. You might also look into family support in your area. I think this would be FFLAG or PFLAG UK--I don't have links for those, but Google should turn them up.

It can help a lot if you show that you've considered their feelings.

One thing you could do, is have an email ready, and let them know it's coming by text message. ("I'm sending you an email about something important. I'm going to be worried about it until I hear back from you, so please respond as soon as you can.") Also tell them whether you want them to reply by text or email.

7. Nukethecloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Ianthe said it all. Very well. I'd talk to them personally but that's just me. But I never really had the experience of coming out to my parents---they decided to approach me about it.

All I'd like to add is doing it when you're comfortable. If you've waited this long...you can wait longer if need be.

8. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Bear in mind that I live with my parents so I response would be sooner rather than later since I live with them

Well. I sometimes think my mother suspects it but not my dad but then again I could be totally off track with it. I just remember when we were having a meal out and we got to talking about gay people somehow and she said something like "If you were gay it wouldn't bother me" but I just casually brushed it off and continued to eat my food.

Yeah the anxiety of doing it person is a major thing for me since I've suffered with confidence issues, etc throughout my life so a text would be better.

I don't know what I would send in a text, probably something like what you mentioned for the e-mail and sorta cage they response on that.

Texts aren't awkward for them as they regularly have phones (Blackberrys) so the BB Messenger is a plus for that.

But. Yeah at least I'm thinking about it now instead of not thinking of coming out at all

---------- Post added 19th Jun 2012 at 04:07 PM ----------

This is a good point though