1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The girl I fell in love with is gay...now what?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by dasazn, Jun 19, 2012.

1. dasazn

The title kind of says it all, but I'll spell out the whole thing:

I've known this girl since 5th grade, and through middle school, I more or less fell in love with her. I tried a few times to ask her out (though they were very feeble, and she brushed them off as jokes. It probably didn't help that I was, and still am, quite awkward around people), but I didn't try too hard because we were good friends. She didn't seem to mind much, and we remained good friends up through high school - I even went to Senior Prom with her this year.

About a week after prom, though, she told me she was gay. For the record, it's not that I'm angry with her or anything - she'll always be a friend to me, regardless of how I feel about her. The main problem is that I still want to be friends with her, just platonically, and I'm not sure how to go about that without giving off the wrong impression (that I'm angry with her, in denial that she's gay, etc.).

I still care about her a lot, and I want to help her however I can. Any suggestions how?

2. bob94

Have you told her that you're bisexual? That would show that you see her as a close friend, and it would definitely show that you're accepting of gay people. It could also help the two of you bond.

3. dasazn

Yes, I did tell her that I'm bi...she's the first person I've ever told, actually.

4. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What does she need help with? You never mentioned whether or not if she's struggling with accepting who she is. However, if you're in love with her, then you may have to stop hanging out with her. I'm not saying breakup the friendship because you've known her practically all your life, just create a little distance between you and her. She's going to figure out that something isn't right, so perhaps you should tell her how you feel. I'm still grieving over the lost of my ex male best friend because he loves me, but I don't feel the same way. It's been really awkward, but I have to respect his wishes and stay away from him for a while. It just sucks because his bday is around corner and I planned something awesome for him...bad timing huh? I didn't want to know how he felt, but he made me listen to him and we mutually agreed that it'd be best to give each other space.

#4 pinklov3ly, Jun 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012