1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why am I so small for my age?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by pace e amore, Jun 20, 2012.

1. pace e amore

I'm 19 and people always tell me I look like a 15 year old, I even got stopped by a cop for being out at 1 am until he ran my name and found out I was actually telling the truth about my age. Is it something that I can help or am I just doomed to be this small for life? I'm about 5'6 and 120 pounds.

2. Ianthe

Unknowable, as yet. You might still grow into your early twenties.

There is nothing you can do to make it happen, though.

I'm 5 feet even, and young looking, and I get people thinking I'm underage a lot, too. I don't smoke, but I picked up a pack of cigarettes for a friend not too long ago, and got carded for that. I don't mind looking young, per se, but I wish I were at least perceived as an adult...

3. pace e amore

I know what you mean, I smoke so I get carded almost every time I buy cigarettes. Sometimes I even get quizzed on my ID like what my birth date is or what my address is. And about being perceived as an adult, that's another problem, I often get people talking to me like I'm a child. It's kind of stupid to have a 17 year old talking to me like I'm younger than him. But yea, it does happen.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Two of my best friends look much younger than they are. One is 28 and looks about 20. When he was 20, he looked 15 or 16. The other is 26 and looks about 19 or 20. He also looked really young at your age.

Right now it's a bit of a curse, but later in life it will be a blessing. :slight_smile: For my two friends, they are both really intelligent and well spoken, and as soon as they open their mouths, people realize they're much older than they appear. I think if you carry yourself well, people will immediately treat you with respect... and as a bonus, you may end up challenging their perceptions about appearance and age.

5. pastol

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The reason people so often tell you, in casual conversation I mean, is because they wish they had what you have. It's nice. It's being nice, not trying to be rude most of the time. And when it is done rudely, pure jealousy.

I also am short and was young looking when I was younger. Trust me, when it finally catches up to you, like is has me, you'll rue the day you ever disliked it. One day you'll look in the mirror and think "Who the hell is that?" But you have many years before that happens. Enjoy it. And btw, lots of guys like short guys. :thumbsup:

6. King

King Guest

I actually get the opposite. I was fifteen when I got my current job, and I got asked to join my co-workers at the bar multiple times... Even now, people ask me what I'm doing after university and I just have to laugh and say that I'm just graduating high school...
    But you might continue growing. Maybe you just have a baby face :slight_smile: Don't worry about it, though. It won't cause any real difficult issues, I imagine :slight_smile:

King x

7. farah

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have this exact same problem. But hey when we're old.. like really old, we'll be thanking our genetics. :grin:

8. Sayu

I'm 18 and three weeks ago one lady guessed me to be 13 lol :grin:

9. Pinstripe

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Happens to me too- I've been told I look 15. Sometimes I dress to look older on purpose- a well tailored suit is a wonderful thing. :slight_smile:

10. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

I would really look at Chips advice :grin:

Even though I cant relate in the same way, I can relate in a similar one. I am only 18, and I carry myself really well, and most people think I am in my mid to late 20's until I correct them otherwise. So It can be a blessing and a curse, as you probably understand. The things we dont like about ourselves are often things we have the most fear of. They are also the things we need to love the most to feel whole hearted.

Sending love!

11. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The last time I was pulled over for underage driving...I was 23. Just know that most people my age would kill to look younger. :slight_smile:

Lex

12. BodyElectric

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    And I'm too tall for my age. 16 and 6'2 u_u

13. Irish Nurse

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Complete opposite! I'm 21 and today at work, someone guessed I was early 30's! Everyone generally guesses around the 26-30 mark.

Doesn't bode well for the aging process!!!

14. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i get regularly mistaken for 16 or 17.

15. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For what it's worth, when I was 18-23 or so, people always thought I was in my late 20s, early 30s. That worked out well, as I was a business owner in a field where no one would take you seriously if you were in your teens or early 20s.

But then when I got to be 27 to 30 or so, and decided to go to college full time, people always thought I was in my early 20s (20, 21) and were shocked that I was in my late 20s.

Now I'm probably about on par with my age appearance wise, which is fine by me. :slight_smile:

So it often works out either way.

16. cscipio

My age finally caught up with my looks, but, I remember easily buying cigarettes at 14 without ever getting carded (I quit btw) and beer at 16. I was always accused of being older than I was.

17. spud

Are for me that was a long time ago, but the only real time I had problems I was 23 years old.
    On holiday in the USA and had to carry my passport all the time because of buying beer it was quite a funny now when I look back.

Spud:lol: