1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to go about starting a GSA Club at my new high school?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by AshenAngel, Jun 21, 2012.

1. AshenAngel

AshenAngel Guest

I live in a relatively conservative area and the high school I'll be going to isn't big, so I was wondering about just how I would bring up starting a GSA Club and to whom. (Principal, Assistant Principal, or both?) Also, when/how/where would meetings be and what should we discuss? I know the main purpose of these groups is to spread awareness, educate, and discourage/prevent bullying. Correct me if i'm wrong, please. Would it be a good idea to suggest using Empty Closets? I was bullied a while at my middle school and I want to make a positive change this year- and not just for myself. Any and all help/suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank You.

#1 AshenAngel, Jun 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2012
  2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First of all, good for you for looking to make a change! I really hope it works out.

As for how to actually approach it - I would try to find a teacher that you think would be receptive to the idea. Going to the principal might seem like a great idea, but if he or she isn't terribly lgbt-friendly, it might not be much help. If you can get a teacher or other staff member (guidance counselor, coach, or something like that) behind you on the idea, it could help a lot - both in getting it off the ground, and in getting a sponsor and a place to meet (like the teacher's classroom).

My guess is that, initially at least, meetings would probably take place either before or after school hours - this has to do with legal sanctions the school gives to activities that take place while school is in session. Simply put, it would be easier to make it happen outside of school hours.

Good luck - let us know what kind of response you get.

3. AshenAngel

AshenAngel Guest

Thanks, again, for reading.:icon_bigg The only problem is that my parents aren't the most approving, LQBTQ-friendly people. If the meetings took place before or after school, they would surely figure out what was going on and make me quit and lose the club.:bang: I don't want to keep it a secret from them, but I'm afraid they won't let me do it if they find out. :help:

4. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Mhmm, starting GSA can be either a really easy thing to do or the most complicated thing possible.

Having to lie to your parents is going to make it a bit more complicated, but it is still possible if you are willing to do some lying to get around it. That would also mean that you are going to have a strong support from faculty. At least one hard ass teacher that would have your back when/if things go bad.

You would also try to work on your parents before you work on getting a GSA, but that is up to you and how hard you think it would be to get your parents to come around.

But your first step, is to figure out what are the steps to create any club in general at your school. Learn the process, know the steps and make an action plan for the club. After that, you have to find a teacher who would have the time and energy to be the club advisor. Without that you don't have a club. Is there a teacher that you have clicked with or that you like? Try to approach them first and see what they say.

What to do during the meetings is a bit easier to figure out after you have it set up, so don't worry about that right now :slight_smile:

There are some awesome resources out there for new GSAs. The best one that I have found for high schools is made by GLSEN. Check it out for ideas and steps that you can take if your school principal decides to be an asshole about everything.

It can be tough, but man its it worth it. I think its awesome that you want to go ahead and do this. Go you! :slight_smile: