1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I can't be a Scout?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Nathan, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Nathan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've been in Boy Scouts for three years now and am just about to start on my eagle project, the last thing I need to do before I become and Eagle Scout. I love scouting, and am really grateful for all the things I learned from it. But then yesterday I read a post on EC that mentioned gay boys not being allowed in Scouting. I was shocked; I'd always assumed it didn't matter. So I did some research and I learned a whole bunch of stuff that I don't care to type because frankly it'll just piss me off more. Bottom line, I learned that I can't be a Scout because I like guys.

Now I don't know what to do. I don't want to go back in the closet just so I can become an Eagle Scout, and I sure as hell don't feel good about supporting such a homophobic organization, but finishing Boy Scouts has always been one of my goals growing up. Not only do my parents want me too but I genuinely want too as well. I'd love to continue scouting, but I don't want to hide who I am.

2. Mercuree

Boy Scouts of America membership controversies
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The Boy Scouts of America (BSA), one of the largest private youth organizations in the United States, has policies which prohibit atheists and agnostics from membership in its Scouting program, and prohibit "open or avowed" homosexual people from leadership roles in its Scouting program as directly violating its fundamental principles and tenets. BSA has denied or revoked membership status or leadership positions of youths and adults for violation of these foundational principles.
    The BSA contends that these policies are essential in its mission to instill in young people the values of the Scout Oath and Law.[1][2]
    The organization's legal right to have these policies has been upheld repeatedly by both state and federal courts. In Boy Scouts of America v. Dale, the Supreme Court of the United States has affirmed that as a private organization, the BSA can set its own membership standards. The BSA's policies have been legally challenged but have not been found to constitute illegal discrimination; as a private organization in the United States the BSA has the right to freedom of association,[3] as determined in Boy Scouts of America v. Dale.[4] In recent years, the policy disputes have led to litigation over the terms under which the BSA can access governmental resources including public lands.

---------- Post added 22nd Jun 2012 at 01:35 PM ----------

Boy Scouts of America membership controversies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

---------- Post added 22nd Jun 2012 at 01:39 PM ----------

Meh. What gets me even more is that Agnostic people are not allowed!?! I mean its all total BS but I can understand maybe a lil controversy around homosexuality (not condoning it, mind, just saying I would not expect any less in some ways). But what on earth does choosing not to believe in a higher power have to do with ones honor or ability to do what is required of them? I had no idea that scouts was in any way a religious organisation? Dude I hope you figure out what it is that you want to do. I, personally, would refuse to associate myself with such an organisation and would think more highly of myself for choosing to do so than accept any accolade they could give me.

3. Ianthe

Well, talk to your parents. You are out to them, so see what they have to say about it.

One thing you could do, is finish your project so that you have earned the title of Eagle Scout. And then explain to the relevant people that you can't accept it, because you are gay. Perhaps at the award ceremony.

"I hope that one day, the Boy Scouts of America will accept members, and leaders, regardless of sexual orientation and gender identity. I believe this would be consistent with the values of fairness, courtesy, and kindness that the BSA tries to instill in young people.

"But that day is not here. And so, in order to remain honorable and honest, and obedient to the rules established by the Boy Scouts of America, as a gay person, I must decline this honor today. I regret that I cannot accept the title of Eagle Scout. Thank you."

If you can lead into that by talking about how your experience with the Boy Scouts was meaningful to you, and perhaps especially the bearing the value of honesty has on your decision to come out, that would be the most effective, I think.

Would that be satisfying?

4. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would say that, unless the knowledge has really upset you too much to continue, you should keep going and finish your eagle. If all this time you've been fine in the scouts, and you weren't trying to hide yourself, then maybe things aren't so bad in your troop - the overarching rules of an organization and how it works at the ground level are often two very different things. My ex was also an Eagle Scout, something he took a lot of pride in, and his scout master was fine with him being gay (in fact, he was one of the people my ex first came out to). Plus, as Ianthe has pointed out, you could use your position as an Eagle Scout (whether you accept it or not, though I imagine turning it down would be hard) to add to the conversation about changing that rule within the organization. Put a different way, it could be an invitation to help change things for the better, rather than a personal roadblock.

So, don't let a distant bureaucracy poison a meaningful experience you've been having all your life - but don't think you can't challenge that distant bureaucracy either. I guess what I'm saying is, do what you think a real Eagle Scout would do. :slight_smile:

5. Philvanuirle

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, that's harsh, I feel you. So, all I can say is that just go on scouting without notifying any of them there; however, at the same time, talk to your parents if they can do anything about the rule. In addition, once you reach Eagle Scout, which is the highest rank, you might just show the organization that homosexuals are no more different than heterosexuals, you'll be changing something (:slight_smile: !

6. spud

Sorry to her now you feel that you can’t be in scouting because of their rule her in the UK this a different her is a clip from the UK scouting web site to show you thinks can change and prophase, in time thing will change for you in the USA.

Fellowship for Lesbians and Gays in Scouting (FLAGS)
    Their remit is to provide active support to all members, and people associated with Scouting with regards to Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender issues and to spread the message that its ok to be Gay and be in Scouts.

With that message we hope to recruit new adults into the movement, and also to develop members already in the movement helping them to achieve their full potential.

We are planning to attend Gay Pride events to do this, the 1st one was London Pride on the Saturday 4th July.

FLAGS attended London Pride on Saturday 4th July. Media coverage has been good, lots of people on the BBC news with the Scout Stickers and coverage of us on Sky News
    Anyone is welcome to join the fellowship, we have a website FLAGS and you can also email [email protected].

(!)

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know a ton of gay Eagle Scouts. I also know a ton of people in the military who are gay and were in before DADT was abolished. I think you could do your Eagle project and just not mention that you're gay.

And then, as for the ceremony... I think it depends on what you want to do. I might be inclined to accept the Eagle Scout and then have a press conference arranged afterwards at which you come out and call the Scouts on their pattern of discrimination. But I also like Ianthe's idea.

In any case, if you were to do either of those, I think there's a good possibility you could get national publicity and really put some pressure on the ignorant religious bigots who have been very firm in not allowing gay Scouts, but who seem to have no problem continuing to allow pedophilic scoutmasters to continue to serve unabated.