1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Telling my parents?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by kayce, Jun 22, 2012.

1. kayce

kayce Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I was just wondering could you guys give me some advice on telling my parents?
    like pointers or something
    like the best way to do it? What not to do? What's makes it the easiest?
    Thanks!
    Oh P.S
    I'm trying to tell them I'm bisexual and have a boyfriend

2. Ianthe

Well, first of all, do you have any idea how they will respond? What are their opinions about LGBT people? It's much more important to be careful coming out to someone who might respond badly.

There are lots of example coming out letters here on Empty Closets. Have you looked at those?

What would be the easiest way for you, and what do you think they would prefer? Would they want you to tell them in person, or would they rather have a chance to think about it before they respond? If you tell them in person, will you be able to get out everything you want to say, or will you freeze up?

Empty Closets - Resources is the page where you can find links to coming out letters and stories, and some general coming out advice. The links are over on the left.

Also, you might want to make sure to provide support resources for them, such as information about PFLAG. And take a look at Parent/Family Stages of Grief - Empty Closets , to get an idea of what they will go through emotionally when you tell them.