1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

afraid to come out and feeling ashamed with being gay.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by needshelp, Jun 22, 2012.

1. needshelp

i just can't seem to shake it off. don't know what it is. i just feel afraid of coming out to others, living life as a gay man, and i feel ashamed as well. it's not where i'm in denial of who i am because i know, it's that to be open about it to other people and to start acting out on it is just something else.

i was reading this book at barnes and noble yesterday called the velvet rope and it really struck a nerve with me. i felt like it explained everything from knowing that i was different as a kid to basically trying to find ways to validate myself as a straight guy. i centered a huge part of myself towards proving that i'm straight and denying that i'm where i can't seem to just let go because i programmed myself to be that way in my daily life. hell, even the way i act is in question. you can say that i brainwashed myself to become overmasculine out of fear.

i've been thinking about going to a lgbt therapist for help because i feel that my fear is kind of holding me back. the thing is i don't know if my insurance covers that. kind of wondering what to do now.

2. Ianthe

Even if your insurance doesn't cover it, it may be worth cutting corners in other ways to be able to see a therapist. Many therapists will also charge on a sliding scale, and reduce your fee if you need it.

But the biggest thing you can do to overcome the shame and fear it to talk about it with someone who will be accepting. Do you have a friend who will support you?

It says you are out to some, but not family and friends. Who are you out to? How did they respond to you?

3. spud

Hi Needshelp

First I’m new to this site I came across the site looking for help myself and I find by reading the post here it helping me.

I have spent way to long in my closet and only now just cracked to door open I have the same sort of problems living life as a Gay man. I’m not shore what life as a Gay man is at this time and yes I’m very scared of coming out. If you can find someone to talk to do so it will help.

There has to be more to life than locked away in your dark room I’m 46 and only just starting to come to terms with it myself now. I feel that I have missed out so much on life because I have not been true to myself. I’m still finding it hard to say to myself that I am Gay and from what I can see from this site we need to accept are self-first before we can go the next step

4. needshelp

that's one of my problems. i don't know of anybody that's in my circle that would be accepting. i have a small circle of friends.

i'm out to some as people in lgbt meetings, support groups and an internet buddy of mine. that's about it. they didn't care being that they didn't really know me prior to that. i haven't had the courage to come out to anybody who's really important in my life just yet.

hi, stud. welcome to ec.

i feel the same way. the thing that is messed up is that being in the closet so long is that you start to believe the lie that you created where it's hard to break out of. :eusa_doh: it's like you know that you're gay because your mind and your feelings let you know but you've trained yourself to not be that. a part of that is to hate yourself and to assume another identity. you think that other people know this person that you created but it's not you and then you have to worry if those people will accept you for who you are. :eusa_doh: it's difficult and grueling. don't know if that's how you feel but i imagine that feel like you're worried about losing the people you love not only because you're gay but because they'll think that you've been dishonest to them.

this place does help a whole lot. you can be yourself here without having to be judged and you can remain anonymous too.

5. bdman

I'm in the same boat. Spent my teens and twenties in denial trying to convince myself that I was straight. I have the exact same issues you are describing. I have started therapy which is helping. PFLAG has helped quite a bit. Also I found that being around other lgbt people, being gay doesn't seem that bizarre anymore. Then I go back to my life in the straight world and have the same anxieties. I guess it will take a lot of time.

6. julia

God, yes, I'm exactly where you are, I know how you feel. I think If I didn't come out to my therapist first I would still be absolutely, completely in the closet. You should definitely find out if your insurance covers a lgbt therapist, I know mine does. Even just a few appointments can make a huge difference. Good luck, I wish you the best (*hug*)

7. ttmab

Oh man, do I know what you're going through. Your post damn near reads like a biography of me. I'm actually kind of glad to know I'm not the only one who was programming myself to be straight. It's scary, because like you (I'm guessing), it wasn't even like it was denial. I had convinced myself that I was straight, but eventually it all came crashing down. (Again, pardon my assumptions, but this is how it went for me).

Suddenly you lose your identity, and realize that you denied yourself even the most innocent of things if it might bring your sexuality into question, even if just to yourself. I wouldn't even let myself listen to music that featured guys with high-pitched or feminine voices, even if I liked it. (Wow, I didn't even realize that until I typed it. How depressing! :/ ) Actually, that's part of it. I keep finding things that I denied myself out of fear, and it pisses me off. I feel like I wasted my best years being what I was 'supposed' to be.
    There's a parable in the Bible that it reminds me of (not preaching or anything, lol). Nothing to do with religion really. It's the thing about the house built on a foundation of sand, versus the house built on a foundation of stone. My house was built on a foundation of heterosexuality. I designed it very carefully, put a lot of work into it. But since the foundation was a lie, the whole thing collapsed.

My advice would be to take time to get comfortable with your sexuality before coming out to those close to you. I told my parents, and I don't regret it, but I told them too soon I think, and that part troubles me. The important thing is that you know who you are. I understand the urge to tell people though. You feel like every second you don't tell someone, you're actively lying to them.
    Something else I've come to realize is that you don't have to start liking Sex and the City and blowing truckers in gas station bathrooms. I'm really sorry if that seems crude, but that's what my brain was yelling at me while it was telling me to get back in the closet. It told me I had to immediately become a Hollywood stereotype, or stick to being straight. The thing is, you're still you. You're just a you who likes guys, not girls. Seems like it should be a simple concept, but I'm still having trouble with that myself.

Anyway like I said, sorry for saying that as if it's you, but I figured you might relate. Hope this helps, if just a little.

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It takes time to accept yourself, and even more time to find the courage to walk into the shame and the fear. I do think finding a therapist is a really good idea, and if you look around, practically everywhere there are therapists that will accept clients on a sliding scale or at low cost.

I also strongly suggest Joe Kort's book "Ten Smart Things Gay Men Can Do to Find Real Love" and Brene Brown's "The Gifts of Imperfection." Both deal with important issues that newly-accepting gay men will find helpful.

And... give yourself time. There's no rush to this, just take it one day at a time. :slight_smile: