1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Condoms...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Rizpaz, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Rizpaz

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Out of curiosity, if both partners are consenting and the same age, and both virgins (no STDs) and obviously they can't get pregnant, then do you still need to use a condom?

2. ohioboy

I Would Just To Be Safe.

3. Ty

Ty Guest

Well the top could still get Hepatitis A or B if their not wearing a condom (assuming they have't had the vaccination for it). It would be best to wear a condom, to be safe.

4. Connor

Connor Guest

You can get an STD at birth if the parent has one, so being a virgin doesn't necessarily mean you have no STDs. Always use a condom unless your partner and you have both tested negative for STDs.

#4 Connor, Jan 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2008
  5. Rizpaz

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    No, I don't mean anal. Just like oral and stuff.

6. Ty

Ty Guest

Well, then, I don't think a condom is necessarily needed, but don't take my word for it, someone correct me if im wrong?

/Ty

7. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's a lot of debate about whether people should use protection for oral sex and rimming and other stuff (well maybe those are the two main ones). I personally don't and I'd like to think I choose my partners wisely but you never can tell for sure.

For anal sex, in the situation you mention, technically no it doesn't sound like you would need to use a condom... but the situation itself sounds rather... not exactly fairy-tale-ish but certainly not exactly prone to lasting.

Here's the thing... so initially yes, if both people are STI-free, then no, you don't need to use protection. But that has two problems, as far as I see it: the first, one or both of the parties may not remain STI-free (cheating and lying happens and it can easily happen to you). The second, it gets people in the mindset of thinking protection wrt to anal sex isn't really important, and it really, really is.

I think just to err on the side of caution, given the potentially extremely unfortunate consequences if caution is not taken, it's just a really smart move to always use a condom for anal sex.

For oral sex and "stuff," I (personally myself) would go by how well I felt I knew and trusted the person.

8. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, I just realised you're 13... THAT makes things different, huh, with respect to getting access to condoms. Sorry--just that I never ever had sex until WAAAAY past the point where I had ready access to them so I never think about what a bind it can be for people who are younger.

Well, most gay community centres provide them for free, as do most public health clinics and stuff, so that's where I'd start if I were not really feeling up to buying my own.

Please note, I'm not saying that at 13 you should go out and have lots of anal sex. Or any, necessarily. But seriously, if you are going to have it, get yourself condoms. If you can't get condoms, then don't have it--there's still tons of fun stuff to do with another boy. Or girl. If you don't protect yourself and take care of yourself with respect to sex, though, it is highly, highly unlikely anyone else will. Granted, it's probably pretty unlikely that if you are involved with people your own age that there's a huge danger of sexually transmitted infections like HIV and all the other delightful ones out there but "pretty unlikely" doesn't mean "there's no chance in Hell." I had a friend who acquired herpes at age 12... that involved sexual abuse, I believe, but if she had been clueless about the repercussions and had then had sex with other people her own age, that would have been really bad for her partners.

Super kudos for asking about it, though. I don't know if I would have even thought to educate myself on that kind of thing when I was your age. My take is people should be generally concerned about sex but not to the point where they're terrified of it. It's an interesting balancing act.

9. sexyalex

hahaha, you so crazy! *chucckles* ^^ ok seriously this convo is getting nowhere because the answer is soo obvious. WHY WOULD U NEED A CONDOM FOR ORAL SEX?!!! what are u planning on doing:dry: ...licking and sucking latex? :confused: ewwwwwwww:grin:

10. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmmn... let's see... using a condom during oral sex could protect you against gonorrhea, chlamydia, syphilis, Hep B... not to mention HIV, although unprotected oral sex is considered low risk (note: not "no risk") with respect to transmitting HIV because HIV is actually pretty weak/flimsy as far as viruses go. I'm sure there are others. It cuts down the risk of herpes transmission but it doesn't eliminate because herpes, unlik HIV, is pretty hardy and infectious.

YOU might not feel the need to use a condom during oral sex and that's fine, it's your choice. But you shouldn't mock other people for seeking more protection, especially since you apparently need a bit more education when it comes to sexually transmitted infections.

Why do you think they make flavoured condoms? Because they taste so good in your ass?

11. sexyalex

flavoured condoms are not chewing gum.....it's not wrigles with "longer lasting flavour" and i am not mocking anyone. FYI it leads back to what was said before about the STD and HIV, if they are tested and both are negitive for the virus then there is no need to be speaking about the person being infecting AS THE CASE MAY BE! further more, idk about america but where i come from, it is LAW that every child born is vacinated for Hep. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. xxAngelOnFirexx

you could have sores in your mouth from brushing your teeth to hard or biting your lip or i assume that chapped lips are open too. so you should always be safe. because as i'd put it, its be safe or be stupid. i mean seriously why would you have sex and get aids or soemthing just because condoms aren't comfortable enough or such? you'd rather have aids or an std the rest of your life because of it. safe or stupid. no exceptions. i suppose if you trust your MARRIED partner and are both negative thats a different matter. but i'd just be safe.

13. Rizpaz

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Er... I really don't plan on having ANY kind of sex anytime soon... I was just asking. :confused: :icon_redf

14. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay... like I said, good questions to ask.

15. lostinthought9

lmao this reminds me of what my friend said about the movie "Juno", she said that on the movie someone said to use a flavored condom, it makes your boyfriend's stuff taste like pie! :roflmao: :roflmao:

16. chrisb

I'm sorry flavored condoms are lame

17. sexyalex

hi5 to that chris :grin:

18. chrisb

Seriously if i didnt like how dick tasted i would not be gay............

19. sexyalex

eghhh, off air question comming up xD:lol: but why would i want to have oral sex with someone who dosn't keep good hygene. that is one of the high risk of hep. so now there are 2 things i want to to add to my part time diet. edible underwear & flavoured condoms....hummmm, i wonder if they have it in water melon! :grin:

20. justjoshoh

In many states within the United States, though vaccinations are considered mandatory, exemptions are granted. These exemptions could be because of medical, religious, or philosophical reasons. You can not assume that even if there is a vaccination available, and that vaccinations are mandatory, that your partner has been vaccinated. Furthermore, sexually transmitted infections can be passed from mother to child during delivery which means that your partner may be unaware of their status.

Herpes does not have a vaccination. You can contract herpes through skin to skin contact with your partner. Herpes can be transmitted even if there are no visible signs of an outbreak. Herpes can also be transmitted from mother to child during delivery. Though herpes infections can be treated, there is no cure for herpes. It is something that you would have to live with your entire life.

Gonorrhea is transmitted through the exchange of bodily fluids. Though treatable, it is possible to be a carrier and not show symptoms or for the symptoms to be misdiagnosed as a different infection.

There is no HIV vaccination available. HIV can be transmitted through oral sex. Research from the 7th Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections concluded that 8 in 122 cases in an HIV-transmission study were possibly attributable to performing oral sex on a man. HIV testing measures for the antibodies your body makes against HIV. The normal time for these antibodies to develop are two to eight weeks. An initial negative test does not guarantee HIV-negative status. There is no cure for HIV.

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) can be spread through oral sex. Though there is a vaccination for HPV, it is currently administered to women only. There is no cure for HPV. It is estimated that at least 50% of all sexually active persons have acquired HPV. Most HPV infections show no signs or symptoms and therefore it is usually passed from partner to partner without knowledge of the infection.

Hepatitis A and Hepatitis B are the only strands of Hepatitis that there are vaccinations available for. That means that one could still contract Hepatitis C, Hepatitis D, and Hepatitis E, though to my knowledge only Hepatitis B is passed through oral sex. Hepatitis B can be transmitted from mother to child during delivery. There is no cure for Hepatitis.

Syphilis is transmitted through direct contact of a syphilis sore, which can be found on the external genital area, the anus, rectum, lips, or mouth. You can transmit syphilis through oral, anal, and vaginal sex or through other intimate sexual contact including kissing. Syphilis can be passed unknowingly from one person to another, because during the early stages there are no signs or symptoms of the infection. A mother can pass syphilis to a child during pregnancy as well. If left untreated, syphilis can be fatal. There is no vaccination for syphilis.

Chlamydia can be passed through vaginal, oral, or anal sex. It's symptoms may take up to 3 weeks after exposure to show. In some cases symptoms do not even show up. 75% of chlamydia cases are diagnosed to persons under the age of 25 in the United States. Though treatable, advance stages of chlamydia can cause serious health problems. There is no vaccination for chlamydia.

Chancroid is a highly contagious infection. It is passed through skin-to-skin contact. If left untreated, the transmission of HIV may be easier. The symptoms usually occur within 10 days from transmission. There is no vaccination for chancroid.

Notice that each of these STIs have a point that they can go undetected. The use of a condom reduces the risk of some of these STIs. Though the condom does not prevent all STIs, reducing your risk is important. For those with other STIs, the chances increase that they will contract HIV. Consider the national HIV statistics. There is a reported increase in the number of cases of HIV for ages 13-29. There is not a valid reason not to practice safer sex.