1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Break Up

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by peanutbutter, Jun 23, 2012.

1. peanutbutter

So my girlfriend calls me to tell me we need to break up. She wants to be friends. I didn't understand she said first because of the distance. However we are both from CT and she is attending college in NY. I am attending college 30 minutes away from her.

She said she feels like she is neglecting the relationship because she is traveling more, and has more dance shows. I told her I knew that before we started to date. I was okay with that. I travel too different speaking opportunities at confrences etc.

I also reminded her that when i was living in MA were 4 hours away and it was fine.

She told me this and I cried. She didn't have a ton in her voice. She made it seem as though I was the only one in this relationship.

She said for her "sanity" we need to break up. I wanted to tell her a relationship is not only about on person.

She just graduated highschool this week. I am two years older than her. She has no idea what college is like. I told her when I went away, I said to every one I was not coming back. I would leave and do all the stuff that college students don't accomplish until their junior year.

i was heartbroken. I took 400 mg of my medicaton, and I am only to take 200mg. I deleted everything, picture, emails. I want to even block her number. Last week was our anniversary and I bought her braclets that cost almost 100$ and flowers, and I made dinner reservations that I now have to cancel.

I'm hurt. I have a right to be. I don't understand her logic. Why did we have to break up? WE both knew that we were busy, and both aggreed to stick it through. I think she is getting overwhelmed with dance ( she a dance major at LIU). I think she is burning her self out. This summer she is doing a dance camp, leaving next week. Her mom, is picking her up in August bringing her right to college.

I am happy for her. And I really love her. She has touched me heart, given me a not perspective on life.

I guess I should just take the good, and throw the bad out. We did a lot. this week made a year of our relationship.

:-( I am sad. I am happy that she cares about her self. I want the best for her. But it does not make it easy.

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry to hear about the break-up - many of us have been there and it definitely hurts. Have you been in a relationship before? That longing for closure happens a lot, and unfortunately, it just as often goes unfulfilled. You may never really figure out, to your satisfaction, why it had to end at this point in time, but hopefully you get to a point where you can feel okay about it. I think getting rid of pictures, emails, and such is probably a good idea.

Also, since you mention the medication, do be careful with it - I don't know what medication it is or what exactly your instructions are with it, but don't get too used to taking more than you're supposed to. If it really helps that much you can perhaps talk to your doctor about it?

Stay strong and try to occupy yourself with other things - good luck!

3. peanutbutter

This is not my first break up. WIth I guess I am grateful that it wasn't due to cheating, or lying. I am better. I think I just needed to sleep it off. I feel better. She is leaving for dance ina week, and going straight to LIU. I am only in state for a semester than hopefully off to USF (tampa,fl)

I can't hold grudges. I don't stay mad at people. I think of it as a curse, but hey! I still love her. I am grateful for the time we had. Best of Luck to her in every area.

I guess there is not much to say. It still hurts. What made it so bad was that all of my coping skills were no where to be found. I have no way to listen to my favoite artist. The computer I use is not my own. I'm not taking classes, and there was no youth services for me to go to.

School is my coping habit. I think the reason i remain on the deans list is because my life is crazy. I'm no longer mad, i just wish the best for her.

4. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thats an amazing way to look at it. You are allowed to be upset, and maybe once you have sorted yourself out it open up the door to something even better.

5. peanutbutter

Thanks. (*hug*) It will get better.
    "If it's meant to be, it will". I really hope that she learns a relationship is not about one person. Its two people.

I haven't really thought too much about it. I can't stay mad. My mom always says that "forgivness is for you, not the other person. Which is comforting.

I don't know if there is much to work out, but to agree with acceptance.. One day at a time. If anything this whole experience has pushed me, to continue college, and work hard to become a student at USF.

:slight_smile: (&&&)