1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips for Depression

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by pirateninja, Jun 23, 2012.

1. pirateninja

Well, it's been a while since I've been here. I guess I wish I could say that my coming back was on a somewhat happier note, but I realised recently that I do need this place again.

Recently I was diagnosed by my doctor as having depression. I've been very lethargic and apathetic for the last couple of months but for the most part of it I kept pretending everything was alright to my friends and my parents. Because I live away from my parents, it's quite easy to just say over the phone "yeah, I'm okay" and just carry on. I haven't been eating or sleeping well and it has been affecting my university work, so much so that I can't graduate this year and I have some retakes in January.

When I found out I wasn't going to graduate, I broke down and called my mom and told her everything, about how I've been feeling terrible, falling behind in my work, not enjoying doing my work and how I've been feeling fearful or apathetic for the most part about everything, including stuff like my old hobbies and going out and seeing my friends. She advised me to go to the doctor, I got diagnosed and I'm now on a course of antidepressants (fluoxetine) which I've been on for nearly a month now.

That's the background of it. I guess what I'm asking is what else can I do to make it easier for me and everyone else. I haven't seen any consistent change from the fluoxetine yet, I'm still fearful about making decisions or even leaving the house, somedays I don't want to see anyone or even switch on my phone. I still feel like I'm the one to blame for all this, if I'd just sought help sooner or admitted there was a problem then this could have been sorted sooner.

Some of the things I've brought up with my parents; I know they'll help me but at the same time I feel awful being a burden on them and they don't deserve this brought on them. I know they love me, I just can't help but feel like they should resent me.

Any help on this matter would be appreciated.

2. Eleanor Rigby

Hey Holly (*hug*),

it's good to see you back, I'm just sorry that it's not with better news.
    Depression is a vicious thing. It works pretty much as a parasite. It slips in when you start feeling a bit tired and just not in the mood and step by step, it eats you life and take all the space.
    Do not blame yourself for not having seek for help sooner. Most part of the time, people think they can shrug it off and don't really realize what's going on until they hit rock bottom.
    You've done the most important thing : acknowledging there is a problem, telling your parents and seeing a doctor.
    Now if you having the feeling your antidepressants are not helping, I would suggest you go back to your doctor. We're all different and it can take some time before finding the right molecule and the right dosage.
    Another thing you can do is to find a counselor. Sometimes, depressions arise because of a chemical imbalance in the brain and it can be solved by meds only, but it's not very common. Most part of the time depression happens for psychological reasons and in those cases, the meds are only helping with the symptoms but not the causes. Therapy does help with the causes, so it might be sensible for you to take an appointment with a counselor and try to find what the roots of the problem are. Most universities have health care services for the student that includes free counseling, I would start searching in that direction.
    Another thing you can do is to let the people around you know what's going on. Your parents are away and you obviously can use some immediate support. Tell your friends, your teachers, the people you're living with... If they know what's going on, they may open an eye and provide better support and care than they currently do.
    I would also suggest to try to live as regularly as you possibly can. I know it's very tough when you're depressed, because you have no energy and you don't sleep well and you're feeling anxious and have no motivation, but staying in bed all day and being awake at night doesn't help at all.
    Try to wake up in the morning, to eat at normal hours, to go to your lectures, to do some sport and to go to bed before midnight. Believe me, I know it's super difficult, I have been there too, but trying to follow a routine is going to help on the long run. If necessary, try to set a time table of your week and get your friends on board. Get them to wake you up in the morning, to make sure you're going to your lecture, to have lunch or go to the gym (swimming pool, rowing... whatever is your thing) with you.
    Last but not least, do not hesitate to create as many threads as you need on EC, or to PM any members of the staff, or to jump into the chatroom when you need support or to talk to someone. I know you know that already, but repeating it can't hurt right :wink: ?

I hope it can help a little, and welcome home sweetie (*hug*)(*hug*), Cécile

3. TriBi

Holly - good to see you back, tho' I'm sorry it is for the reasons stated.

Cecile said most of it already - but I would also counsel that most anti depressants, from what I understand, are acknowledged to take around six weeks to actually take full effect.

The other thing to bear in mind is that you aren't alone. Depression has happened to me, to two of my closest friends, obviously to a LOT of people here at EC - and, I would have no doubt, some of your friends and family as well. It shouldn't carry a stigma these days - it is such a widespread affliction -so remember you have no reason to be ashamed that it has affected you - in fact you should be proud that you have acknowledged it and taken the right course of action.

I certainly wouldn't think of yourself as a 'burden' on your parents - there are almost NO parents I know who would think of their child in that light if they are struggling - they will want to be there for you. The fact that you are thinking that way is just the depression manifesting itself - I know - I've been there myself - and I came out the other side.

Another thing that Cecile mentioned which really can help is physical activity. Exercise does get the endorphins flowing and that does provide a natural lift in mood. Even if you can just find a nice place to go for a walk - you may not feel like it but perhaps try this. Go somewhere you enjoy, or somewhere you haven't been before. Make a conscious effort NOT to look inward - look outward. Look at the scenery, the people, the sky - what is around you and try to get away from the negative thoughts trying to take over your head. Feel the rhythm of your body and your breathing as you exercise. I used to be a competitive runner and when I was feeling bad I would go out for a run - I always referred to it as 'mobile meditation' because it used to clear my head and help me focus...you just need to find something that works for you. If you find it hard to think of 'getting outside', maybe confide in a trusted friend who would understand and ask if they would accompany you (ie drag you out :wink:).

Another thing I ought to mention is that it can be too easy to self medicate with alcohol when you are feeling low. Alcohol IS a depressant in itself - so you should really try to avoid that. Maybe think of buying a selection of different teas, herbal or otherwise - or whatever might appeal to you - and make a cup of tea (or whatever) instead of having a drink.

Good luck - you have taken the right steps and I'm sure you will get back to the right place. Be sure to let us now how you are going and lean on your friends here as much as you need. (*hug*)

4. pirateninja

Thanks, I will take that all into consideration :slight_smile: I guess my next question would be if you know of any short term coping strategies? I know it's not some overnight thing that's going to go away, I've been over that with my doctor, and I know I should give the meds a chance, but I feel so frustrated with myself a lot of the time. Just the other day my Dad helped me talk to the university to get some extra support. I appreciate him stepping in to help me and in honesty I kept saying I'd go myself but couldn't get the courage to even take the bus to uni by myself. Even today, I've found it hard to even get out of bed, not necessarily because I'm tired, I've been very twitchy today and my mind has been in overdrive just thinking about everything, but I just didn't want to face anyone.

My housemates know whats going on and one of them made me come out earlier to get some food and hang out with her, but even now, I've escaped back into my room just to get something and I just want to stay here where I feel safe. What do I do to get over these feelings now? How do I get back to being able to sort things out for myself? Right now I just feel a bit helpless.

5. Eleanor Rigby

Well, unfortunately, there is no quick way to fix depression. The fact that you want to isolate yourself and are frustrated with yourself is in itself a symptom of the depression. At this point, it's completely normal that you're feeling like staying in bed all day, not seeing anyone, postponing the things you have to do and feeling frustrated with yourself because of this. All these are symptoms of the depression.
    What you can do is to be aware that those are signs of your depression and to force yourself to do the opposite of what you're feeling like doing. I know it feels completely counter-intuitive at first, but getting rid of depression is pretty much battling against yourself.
    When I was battling against depression myself, I was trying to see the depression as a kind of enemy that had taken control of my mind and my thoughts and to see myself as a "resistant" to this enemy. So when I was feeling like not going out of bed in the morning, I was telling myself something like "You want me to stay in bed ? Ok, I'm getting out of bed now."
    Of course, that's super tiring and you can't win every battle at first, because right now everything is a battle. That's why you need to get people on board, your parents and your friends to help you win these everyday little battles that are waking up, taking a shower, eating properly or doing some sport.
    Another thing you can do (or at least that I was doing and still do when I'm not feeling good) is a meditation exercise that I call "my safe place".
    Depression is coming along with the feeling of not being safe anywhere except in your own home and soon in your own bed. The point of this meditation exercise is to create in your mind a place where you're feeling safe and where you can go to anytime you need.
    Everyday (or even several times a day, like for example just before getting out of bed and right before going to sleep) put yourself in a comfortable position (sat on a armchair or lie down on your bed), close your eyes and focus on a place where you feel safe. It can be any place, real or not. Try to recreate every bit of it in your mind, the light, the colors, the noises in this place and the feelings of safety and comfort that are coming along. Once you've find the right "place" for you, stick with it in every meditation because it will help "getting there" when you'll need it.
    Then, when you're in a situation where you're feeling anxious and not safe, close your eyes, take a deep breathe and think of your "safe place". That is a technique that helped me a lot, I hope it can help you too.

Take care and keep holding on sweetie (*hug*), Cécile

6. Rosina

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm rather familiar with Fluoxetine (two people close to me on it) so I'm sure I can help you with niggles you're having with it.

I would repeat was what said above but I'm here to chat always (*hug*)