1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out at school?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by CrucioPureblood, Jun 23, 2012.

1. CrucioPureblood

Out Status:
    All but family
    Okay, so I've been thinking about doing this for a while now, but I wanted to see what you people thought about it... Very few people, only close friends and some family members, are actually aware that I'm trans, but I want to be more open about it. Obviously I don't intend to walk around and making it well known to everyone, but I don't really like hiding it. At first, I was nervous to tell anyone at all about it, because I was scared how they would react, but I feel differently about it now. Probably because the people I have told have been accepting and supportive, however I know that this isn't going to be the case with everyone. I'm just a little worried now about getting bullied or something if people did find out. Having said that, I felt the same before my school found out I was bi, but they all turned out to be accepting, some even admire all the gay people at my school. Maybe they'll be the same with this news? Or maybe they just won't understand and I could get bullied... I'm not sure, what do you think?

2. Philvanuirle

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    honestly, just be yourself... and when someone asks you, then be open with them(at your desire). You don't have to be walking around LadyGaGa, which you will have comments coming at you, similar to someone at my school, but he had a lot of gay friends so that was cool. So.. just be yourself, that's all that matters most.

3. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would have similar views.

For me, there is no need to broadcast that you are transgender to everyone! But this doesn't mean pretending to be someone else; just be yourself! As Philvanuirle said, when someone asks you, just be open with them.

If society was completely open and accepting, this would probably still be my approach to being gay and I would suggest that it would be yours. But unfortunately, we have to take into consideration that the world certainly isn't as great a place as it could be, and often people in their teens can be horrible, mean and bigoted without even realising it. So you do need to take bullying into consideration.

Also, I don't know about other people, but I suspect that while being accepting of bisexual people is one thing, being accepting of someone who is transgender is a bigger step and you're right to wonder if people will have trouble understanding it. We have more exposure to the idea of gays, lesbians and bisexual people in the media, but not a whole lot of exposure to transgender people — which is a huge shame... but it's, once again, something that you have to take into consideration.

But the best thing about it is that you still get to be yourself without having to stand up and tell a whole load of people, who you don't really know and aren't close friends with, something that they don't really need to know about you. I mean, if you're like me, your sexuality and gender status are just one part of you. You probably don't feel the need to inform everyone about your music tastes or whatever. I know that's probably trivialising it a small bit — sorry — but I hope you can catch my drift! I strongly believe that if someone wants to know, you can tell them, but otherwise if it doesn't affect them they don't need to know. And yet you're still not pretending!

I hope this helps, and I'm sorry if I don't fully understand what you're going through, being transgender, and if I've made any errors of judgement.

4. Basically agreeing to the previous two posts.

5. CrucioPureblood

Out Status:
    All but family
    Thanks for the input guys! I agree that I shouldn't have to tell everyone, and that it is a LOT different to sexuality, but I made that connection because members of the LGBT community in general are seen as 'different' and bullying is not uncommon amongst them. And I also think that the approach of only telling people of they ask is a good one, but then how far does that go? News travels fast in a place like a school, and I'm worried that I'll still get strangers asking me. Also, how many people really ask about peoples' gender anyway? I just don't know what to do, because it's not like I do want to broadcast it, nor do I want to do nothing at all. I can't help but think I'm still hiding and in denial, but I don't want everyone to know anyway :confused:

#5 CrucioPureblood, Jun 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  6. TwoMethod

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you hit the nail on the head really! Because there isn't a lot of attention given to transgender people in the media, I don't think it's something that crosses very many people's minds at all. And if it does, it doesn't happen very often.

7. CrucioPureblood

Out Status:
    All but family
    I agree, but then is that a food thing, or a bad thing? Maybe I won't get a really bad reaction to it, and make people aware of it or something? But again, it could have the opposite effect and be well known, but for a bad reason. I was also considering asking some close friends to call me by a guys name, but then that's REALLY obvious. I'm just not sure :/

8. Philvanuirle

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    To be honest, I have strangers in my school ask, after I say "yes" they laugh and whatnot, but it really doesn't last long enough. They don't even bully me. I mean they say words behind my back, but I could care less as long as I'm myself. Just be yourself. Don't dress differently than your comfort zone. If you're comfortable, then they will leave you be. But as teenagers, there will always be a gossip about someone of something, regardless if it's you or not. It is our way of life.