1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to use...?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by NickyGurl16, Jun 24, 2012.

1. NickyGurl16

So this is kind of embarrassing to ask but, what kind of protection should lesbians or bisexual girls use when they have sex with girls? In school, they teach us how you should always have a condom when you have sexual intercourse with a guy, but what about with a girl? I researched online and i found that you can use seran wrap, latex gloves etc. but wouldn't that feel weird to use? Also, what if your partner doesn't want to use it but you want to be risk free from STD's? :confused:

2. Paper Heart

I'd suggest female condoms and dental dams for intercourse. Of course, I'm not a lesbian and have no idea on how to have sex with a girl, but I think that these are precautions that need to be taken. Don't think that just because lesbians have a slim STD rate that they're immune. Make sure that any toys being used are either cleaned regularly as well as using a female or male condom with it.

And if she doesn't want to use protection, don't have sex with her. It's that simple.

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Empty Closets - Lesbian Sex

This should help you out!! It really sucks that they don't teach safe sex gay/lesbian couples at schools.

4. Caoimhe Fayre

I too wish they taught this stuff in school. I am thinking of going down to my local health unit to visit the sexual health clinic and see where I get asking questions there... :/ I want to hear from a person what the safe practices are, and find out for sure what is a myth, and what's not a myth, and... um. all that stuff.

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't blame you. You want to be sure that you are safe. I learned about a lot of safe sex practices in my college human sexuality class. I also learned a lot at my college's LGBT group. So if you have a somewhat liberal college in your area you might want to check that out too. I know that my group welcomes people that do not go to school there. Most groups have a safe sex night.

6. Ianthe

There are no uniquely lesbian sexual practices, really. I suppose specifically rubbing vulvas together, but genital rubbing without penetration can be practiced by other groups also.

Lesbians practice safer sex comparably to what other groups do for the same acts.

The big push for safer sex was a response to the AIDS crisis, and most common lesbian sexual practices are low risk for HIV transmission. So there has never been the big push for safer sex for lesbians that there was for other groups.

Low risk is not the same as no risk. The only way you can have no risk of contracting HIV through sex is by not having partnered sex at all. Safer sex practices, such as condom use, reduce risk, but do not eliminate it.

Regarding the use of a barrier for cunnilingus, many people feel that the risk is already so low that the further reduction of the risk is not worth what they have to give up by using the barrier. So they don't use one.

While educating yourself, be sure to look at how risks compare to other sexual acts. For example, look into how unprotected cunnilingus compares to vaginal or anal intercourse with a condom.

Despite the low use of dental dams, HIV has not spread rampantly through the lesbian community. If cunnilingus were a high risk activity, protection would be promoted heavily for straight people, because it is a very common practice for them.

There are other STIs that lesbians are at risk for, but these are generally treatable, and/or nonfatal.

7. manshow

manshow Guest

that's the right way, my dear. Professionals in clinic who are aware of this may help you more than what we advice you here. And you are in a right way to know what is myth and what is not. All the best, Fayre!

8. manshow

manshow Guest

Did you meet the professionals?

9. Caoimhe Fayre

not yet. I can't get through to them on the phone, and it's kind of a long way to go without already having an appointment. :/ I will post when I do get to talk with them, though.

I did find this link (Lesbianstd.com), from the local health unit's webpage, and it seems good. It's frustrating to find, though, that there are a lot more questions than answers... :frowning2: