1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do i do?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by danieliam, Jun 25, 2012.

1. danieliam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hello everyone, I face a really tough dilema, me and my bf havn't met yet and long story short thats getting the better of us, my mum wont let us meet because he's still a stranger in her eyes, but I feel me or my bf will break anytime soon and just spill the beans, so bassically, what do i do, tell my mum why it's so important for us to meet, or hope we can last months on end until i'm aloud to meet him? thanks.

2. Aldrick

Hello danieliam. :slight_smile:

What do you mean that your boyfriend will "just spill the beans"? Spill the beans about what? Your relationship?

I think an important question to ask here is how old you are and how old your boyfriend is - that may play a factor in your mother's decision.

Finally, since you need your mother's permission to meet your boyfriend it means you're under eighteen. (Either that, or you have a very controlling mother. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) It's quite appropriate for your mother to be concerned about people you meet on the internet, especially people who might show a romantic interest in you.

Your mother sounds like she is just concerned for your safety and well being. Yes, it sucks being a teenager sometimes. However, that doesn't mean you can't reach a compromise with your mother.

Assuming your boyfriend is age appropriate, have you considered discussing with your mother a potentially chaperoned date? For example, you and your boyfriend meet up at the movies, and your mother sits in the back of the theater.

Alternatively, you could invite him over to your place with your mother there.

Ultimately, since I don't know all the details of your situation, I'm going to side with the judgments of your mother. You should speak to her and propose some alternatives to simply not seeing him at all.

Finally, if your mother has concerns with you being gay or bisexual, and issues surrounding LGBT dating, you might recommend her to visit this forum. There are plenty of adults here that can answer any questions she might have on the subject, as well as any special considerations that might be necessary when it comes to looking after you as a LGBT teenager.

3. danieliam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    me and my boyfriend are both 17, and I feel as if me or him will tell our parents about our relationship and sexuality, neither of our parents know about our sexuality, I have asked my mum numerous times of different ways to meet, she seems to think he could be a 50 year old guy, we suggested lots of ways of meeting, even tried just pretending he was a college friend who wanted to pop over to help with my work, my mum is just determind not to let us meet, we just feel that one of us will tell our parents coz of being rather depressed about not meeting, but we think maybe if i told my mum everything she'll know the whole story and let us meet

4. i dont mean to patronize you but you are only 17, if you were 18 it would be a diff story cuz you would be an adult. im not saying your man isnt 'real', but you honestly never know.

perhaps talk to your mum about meeting him with a friend for a coffee in town or something for a few times just so you can get a feel for him. people who start out online but meet in person sometimes dont actually work in person, the chemistry just isnt there. that is always a slight possibilty.

whatever you do though dont go behind your mums back and meet ALONE. NO.
    whatever you do ALWAYS meet someone you have spoken to online with someone just so youre not alone and in any possible danger.

5. stumble along

Well if you are ok with telling your mom exactly why you are so keen in meeting this person then go for it. Though it may just make her even more cautious considering its not a friend but a love interest.
    Do you have any way of proving its not some older person? Exchange facial profiles? Friends on Facebook? I think if you can prove to her that he isn't some creep she will be more inclined.

6. danieliam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I know I'm only 17 and that is what is a pain and mum has said that when I am 18 it will be a different story and I also understand that the relationship in person might not work but that's exactly why I want to meet him to find out if this will work in person or not. Also I have absolutely no intention at all of meeting him on my own at all because as you say you never know what might happen. And yeah that's one of the reasons why I'm not sure bout telling my mum cus it could make things worse. And I've told her before that I have pictures but she totally denied that that was any proof that he is who he say is I also tried getting her to friend him on Facebook but she turned that down aswell.

I would also just like to thank you who are replying for replying to the this topic.

7. Aldrick

Well since you're both seventeen, I'm less concerned than I was. You also seem to be aware of the risks, considering that you said you wouldn't meet him alone.

I can understand your frustration, but your mother is just concerned. She loves you, obviously, and doesn't want you to get hurt. She's trying to protect you. Believing that everyone on the internet is a predator seems to be a common fear among mothers. My own mother still believes, even all these years later, that everyone I've ever spoken to on the internet is a potential serial killer. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

If she won't budge on the issue, then she isn't going to budge.

Have you skyped with him or anything of that nature?

If you've done some sort of video chat with him, then you can at least verify that the pictures he sent you are really him. Also, you can arrange a setup, where you say leave your door open while chatting with him. A nosy mother might poke her head in your room, and ask "Who are you talking too?" That's when you can reveal, "Oh, I'm speaking to <your boyfriend>. We're video chatting. Want to say hello?"

You can then introduce your mother to him that way. He can say hello to your mother... and in future conversations, when you talk about potentially meeting him, her fears might be lessened.

At this moment in time, this guy is a faceless person. Your mother can throw whatever wild fears and accusations she wants at him, because she doesn't know him, and hasn't seen him. However, the moment she sees him and hears his voice he becomes a real person. It becomes harder to make accusations, because he now has a face and a voice.

From there, you can discuss potentially meeting him with her (such as him coming over to visit while she is there), or something along those lines.

8. danieliam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks Aldrick that is some good advice I have only spoken to him on mic on skype not on video but we are gonna look into doing video chat and then as you saidx leaving the door open and letting mum walk in and chat to him on video and then ask bout meeting him.

9. Aldrick

Good luck. Hope it works out. (*hug*)