1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reconcile

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by swissbliss, Jun 25, 2012.

1. swissbliss

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey everybody! I am a strong Christian, but I am also gay. I have been ridiculed by both the Christian community for being gay, and the gay community for being Christian, and I don't know what to do. Words do hurt, and they are really starting to bother me. What is a way that I can reconcile both sides, but at the same time, cheer for both sides?

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unfortunately, what you're describing is pretty common - but can you say a little bit more about your situation? As in, what kind of church (or churches) do you go to that you're finding anti-gay sentiments (also whether you're locked into a specific church for whatever reason or not), and where are you finding the animosity towards religion in the gay community? I realize the answer in both cases might seem like "all over," but try to be as specific as you can.

As a couple quick suggestions, there are some very gay-friendly Christian denominations out there, such as the Unitarian Universalists. I don't know what they're like in your area but you might check them out. Also, are there any LGBT community centers in your area (whether PFLAG or something else)? They might be able to point you in the direction of local groups that are interested in gay spiritualities.

3. Curly

I'm not Christian, I'm gay, and I wouldn't criticize any gay guy/gal for being Christian. I know lots of Christian, Catholic, atheist, Buddhist or whatever who are completely accepting of homosexuality. I think people get the wrong idea when the extreme religious haters start preaching their hate on the bases of religion. They don't represent all of Christianity but they do give Christians a bad reputation. It's also hard feel kindly towards the religion that may have cast them out and tells them they are going to hell at every opportunity.

I think it is perfectly ok to be Christian and gay. And there are people who feel the same way.