1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Talking to your parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by CrucioPureblood, Jun 25, 2012.

1. CrucioPureblood

Out Status:
    All but family
    Okay, so I don't know I anyone will even be able to help me with this anyway, but I need to get it off my chest anyway.

My Mam recently found out about everything that's bothering me after I got seriously depressed and she finally confronted me about it and got me to open up. One of the problems, school, she has sorted out without a problem. If I'm honest, she's been great. But since she found out about my gender and stuff, things are exactly the same. She still expects me to be really girly and she won't even talk to me about it. I thought that her finding out would be a good thing, because I could talk to her and she could try to help, or get me help, but it's like nothing has changed. I feel like she's just ignored it, or brushed it off as a phase or something unimportant. I rarely get time to talk to her alone, and when we are I struggle for things to say to her. But I really want to talk about this, because it's something that really upsets me and that I want to get help with. I've also been thinking about seeing a doctor or a psychologist or whatever, but I've got no chance if I can't make my Mam understand.

I'm sorry for rambling and stuff, it's just really bothering me and I don't know what to do :icon_sad:

2. Curly

You don't have to apologize. You can ramble and rant and complain all you want here and people here will try to help the best they can. I'm sorry you feel upset. On the positive side, you seem to know what you want and what you need to sort out how you feel. And that is a really good step to take.

Have you told your mom about what you wrote here? If you haven't, maybe let her know how you feel and let her know that you want to talk to a professional who can help.

It's hard for some parents to accept and come to terms with it, but give her time. Maybe direct her to some lgbt resources like PFLAG, and they can help her with some information.