1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm a work in process - dealing with coming out after a half year

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by 55, Jun 25, 2012.

1. 55

I've posted a few threads about my path to authenticity since the end of October when I joined EC. The highlights:

- I came out to my wife last fall after 35 years of marriage - we had been going to counseling for 3 years after she found out I had been having sex with men for many years of our marriage. I couldn't/wouldn't admit I was gay, even to myself.

- I told my 3 adult children and many family members and friends in January. All responses (except for former in-laws of course) were positive and supportive.

- at the end of February we were divorced and I moved into a condo at the end of March.

Now I need to share what's happened since - sorry for the long post. I just think it's important to share this part of the story, fully realizing everyone's is unique.

At that time time of our divorce and my subsequent move, I thought my ex, my kids, and I had been through the hardest part. I felt great about feeling like I was liberating my wife to become the person she deserved to be, a part of me felt great about entering the life I thought I had been longing for, and I thought my kids understood and had come to accept me as I am.

Currently, I know all these things are part of a long, painful process. Coming out was by far the hardest thing I've ever done and it's also by far the best thing I've ever done as a human being. I believe that someday I'll have a great relationship with someone who is right for me, my wife will get over her anger at my cheating, she'll find a great guy, and we'll be friends, and that my kids will come to accept me as a gay man who never meant to hurt anyone.

Here's the current reality.
    Me: I spend a lot of time alone feeling sorry for myself, not knowing how to find a group of gay friends and the potential for a future relationship. I feel like my wife has abandoned me - even though that's completely not true. I feel like my kids don't want to have much to do with me - even though they're trying. I'm planning to go to support group meetings and have an appointment scheduled with my counselor in a couple weeks. As a way to start to meet gay men, I've gone to a couple gay bars lately. I'm trying to learn how to talk to men without seeming like I'm coming on to them. I've also discovered that I wasn't either of the two people I tried to merge over the years in my marriage. Obviously I'm not the straight man I pretended to be - the one who knew how to love, but felt disconnected. I'm also not the promiscuous guy who snuck off to adult bookstores at every opportunity to have dangerous encounters. I knew I wasn't the first guy, but I didn't know I wasn't the second. With the help of EC and other support, I'm thrilled that I'm not the other guy either. I want to find out who I am, which is scary. The ideal me will be able to love like guy number one did, and enjoy the sex of guy number two - but just with one guy.

My Ex: She's trying to learn how to be on her own, emotionally support the kids, and be there for me when I hit rock bottom. She's bitter about all my years of promiscuity. She can't understand what I firmly believe - that I was a sex addict who was capable of loving her too. Last night she said she couldn't understand how someone who claimed to love her could do that for so many years. My only answer to that is, "I don't know either." I've felt bad about sometimes putting her in the position of having to help me through my transition when she's going through her own. Last night I made the mistake of insinuating that she would be happy when she didn't have to deal with me anymore. I've never heard her scream at me and call me a self-centered egotistical $%#!ing asshole before, even at the worst of times. That put me into uncontrolable sobbing (which I've done a lot of lately). She eventually came over and we had a very good discussion - one that I think will be healing. She said she knows I'm not what she called me. She told me she needs to feel a separation from me emotionally in order to move on. As painful as that will be, I will do it for her.

My children: One of my daughters is 32 and lives 4 hours from me. She has never dealt well with conflict and is very angry right now about the risk at which I put the entire family for so many years - very justifiable and indefensible. She was home this weekend and we spent a very nice three hours together, but it was all superficial talk because my granddaughter was with us. I was hoping to have a couple hours alone with her yesterday. I ended up feeling very down because she only wanted to spend 3 hours out of a 3-day weekend in the area. Yesterday, I tried to set up a time to meet. I did it clumsily and eventually received a text saying she was meeting with the rest of the family at a local restaurant and I was welcome to join them. I took it as her feeling like she had to invite me to another planned event for the family that I wasn't initially invited to and replied with a message saying, "That's OK. I didn't know you had plans. Have fun!" She took it as me being passive aggresive - which I wasn't (I don't think). My ex called and explained that it had not been planned, my son had contacted her about the same time I had and it had just been arranged. I told her I would be happy to come, which I did. We had a nice time - the entire family. When my daughter left for home, I apologized and she said she was still very angry with me. I wish we could have dealt with it for more than 20 seconds. I need to call her and try to convince her I wasn't being passive agressive and try to get her to open up.

As for the other two children, (30 and 27) they live in the same community as my ex and me. I'm better able to try to have positive relationships with them. I also need to ask them how they're currently dealing with everything without making them feel sorry for me - or making them think I'm trying to make them feel sorry for me. I need to focus on them, but don't want to reopen old wounds by bringing everything up. I still tread very lightly around them. I also struggle with seeming too upbeat around them, because that might make them think I've moved on completely already and have no remorse.

My ex told me they've all thought I've seemed down enough to hurt myself - something I would never do. I am on antidepressents, but even without them, I wouldn't harm myself.

I'm struggling to move on. It's ironic, but if I went to bed with a guy I met at one of the bars right now, I'd feel like I was cheating on everyone more than I did when I was actually doing it. And most of all, I'd feel like I was cheating on myself! I am becoming a much better man, but I need to give myself permission to move forward in all phases of my life.

So there it is. I appreciate everyone who spent the time to read this to the end - especially all the guys here who are coming out later in life and in particular the married ones. I give a lot of advice in other threads - encouraging authenticity and allowing everyone to live in the light of the truth. But I want to show the ongoing struggle that comes with it. Like I said at the beginning, I know everyone's path is different - some better, and some much, much worse.

Not feeling alone on the path via EC support makes it easier to bear. I will never regret coming out. Never.

:kiss:

2. Lewnatic

To be honest, and I mean this with the upmost respect, I don't really understand that either. You don't sound like a sex addict to me - sex addicts quite often fail to distinguish between gender. Would an alcoholic be picky over a brand of wine? Her unacceptance of the fact you slept with so many other men for so many years is perfectly understandable. Man or woman, no matter what the circumstances, I'd be riled to the core too. However, you can't change the past and she should just focus on the future.

I don't think there's any danger of you making them feel sorry for you as you seem to be doing that all right yourself. You need to stop with the put downs and the unacceptance. You're going to be sending out all of these negative vibes and, although this sounds spiritual, people easily pick up those things. Have some courage. When I came out to my family, I spent months of being depressive, awkward and fake around my family and it rubbed off on them. They didn't know how to approach me, I read this as they didn't want to spend time with me etc. but now that I'm in a far better place, things are as they were. My mum will come in from work and greet me as she always did, say things like "I bought you a Dr. Pepper darling!" (I love Dr. Pepper, hah hah). Behaviour is contagious, so try to be more upbeat and make out that there isn't so much of a problem.

You shouldn't have to feel guilty about having sex with another man, it's all out in the open now and it's your freedom. If you actually met a nice man (this isn't to do with sex, which you seem very keen on), perhaps it would make things easier - you'd have something to make this whole situation better.

#2 Lewnatic, Jun 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  3. maxx

55 - thanks so much for posting this - it is so useful to have a glimpse into the 'post-conversation' consequences.

First off, you've got a group of gay friends here on EC, including myself - we are always here for you - and are rooting for your happiness going forward. You WILL find someone that will make you happy.

I'm glad you've discovered you aren't the video arcade addict you thought you might be. I think that was probably just a coping mechanism for you while you came to terms with being gay - and once you came out, you didn't need it anymore. Now you are looking for a mature, loving relationship with another man - and that's great.

Finding that guy won't be easy - but he's out there - and he's wondering how to find you.

I can understand the guilt you might feel by sleeping with someone now - I think you might be feeling guilt over all the turmoil and pain, and are 'punishing' yourself because you think you don't deserve to be happy as a result. It's okay for you to be happy. Really. That's why you did this. You made the sacrifices, you did the right thing. Yes that generated pain (for yourself and your family) - but the reason for the pain was so that you could ALL be happier. Including you. YOU. I'll say again - it's OKAY for you to be happy - to find people that make you happy. I'm sure that will happen all in good time. Take the risk of being vulnerable in your new interactions and I think you'll find talking to men that much easier.

From your posts here, you are clearly a caring, kind guy - you have a lot to offer.

You mention that you don't regret coming out and that it was the best thing you've done. I can completely understand that that's true. What specifically makes you glad about this? What are you most proud of?

Thanks again, 55. You inspire me to continue along my own path, in spite of challenges.

(*hug*)

Maxx

4. KneeDragger

Hugs and thanks for the update. It's always helpful to hear how others have handled the coming out process and the after effects. I know where you're at because that was me over a year ago (and occasionally since then). It will get better. You've just go to take some time to focus on yourself.

5. 55

Maxx, thanks for all you wrote! You were foremost my thoughts as I wrote this thread. I was afraid I would scare you (and others) away from coming out, but I wanted you (and everyone) to see what the subsequent turmoil may be like. :kiss:

Thanks, too, KneeDragger, you give me hope, courage, and a light in the distance! :icon_bigg

Lewnatic, I appreciate your good intentions, but you missed the major point of the thread. As the title of my post says, "I'm a work in progress." My goal was to share where I am currently on the journey.

I am the only person on earth who can even potentially understand why I did what I did, and as I stated, "I don't know." I posted this in the Support and Advice forum because I know it's more widely read than Coming Out Stories. I struggled with the best forum. I wasn't looking for either support or advice really, just a place to share - although I deeply appreciate support and advice, but please not judgement. I have enough judges right now, but I can add you to the list. You don't list your age, but you sound young. If that's true, I applaud you for being out at a young age. I've had years and years of being closeted, where things got convoluted and out of control. I'm happy you'll never have to walk a mile in my shoes.

As far as not really being a sex addict. I can only say how I felt - completely out of control of my ability to resist the urge to have sex with men, finding myself going to the bookstore time after time, knowing I wasn't really enjoying it, terrified of its potential ramifications, but feeling powerless to control it. If I'm not a sex addict just because I wasn't looking for women too, then maybe that's not what I am - which is good to know. I won't feel like I'll fall back into that lifestyle when I once again unleash the genie down the road! The bookstore offered nearly instant male-on-male sex 24/7 with no women anywhere in sight. And if women had been there, I still would have chosen men because I'm gay.

I'm sorry, but this sentence doesn't even make any sense. You're saying I can't make them feel sorry for me because I'm making them feel sorry for me. ?? Are you saying something about me feeling sorry for myself? If so, I completely agree.

I need to go back to "a work in progress." I know I need to stop doing this, and I know I will eventually, but I'm sure you didn't feel like you could just stop when you were going through your "months of being depressive, awkward and fake ..." I'm in those months now and I'll get out of them just as you did - one day at a time. My thread is just about current feelings and is probably similar to what you would have written at that time in your life.

I agree and I tried to emphasize that I'm trying. My goal is to meet a nice guy, get to know him as a human being, and move that to the next level if it's right. As I said in another post, this time I need to start with the head on his shoulders and get to the other one when it's time instead of the other way around. If that takes 1, 5, or 10 men -fine, but I don't be doing them all at once. As I said, I'm a better man. And yes, I'm keen on sex. I missed out on 35 years of complete emotional and physical fullfillment. But sex no longer goal number 1!

I hope I didn't come off to harsh. I really appreciate your input - it made me think even more deeply. Best of luck on your own journey! (*hug*)

6. Deaf Not Blind

oh wow.

so many people hurt.

and all because you already knew but lied to yourself and them about it?

im not married, but i don't know if i can be.

7. KneeDragger

Many of us who were married didn't lie. We just didn't know. When I got married, I had feelings for guys, but I didn't understand them. Plus we didn't really have anyone to talk to. If this wonderful forum had existed about 25 years ago, my life may have been different. Regardless, I have 3 children I wouldn't trade the world for and I'm sure they are happy to be here too!

8. Lewnatic

You're just misreading it. What I mean is you're just sat there feeling sorry for yourself, so you don't have to worry about other people doing it. Seriously, stop with all of this self hate it serves absolutely no purpose except to spiral you further into darkness.

It's completely normal of you to feel that searing lust. Whether you knew it for a while or not, you were trapped in a wrong marriage so you probably never really felt the sex that most people do. This isn't to say you didn't love your wife, or didn't enjoy having sex with her, but whether you realised it or not - it wasn't the right sex for you. Think of yourself as a horny teenage boy all over again, just discovering sex!

Yes, it is, which is why I'm saying such things. Obviously reading this won't pull you out of that phase, but it would be nice to think it gives you the assurance you may need: you will pull through this. It may not always seem like it, but you will.

9. maxx

I was really saddened to see what on the surface appears to be a judgmental and unfeeling couple of posts. Language is a funny thing, though, and I'm hoping they weren't offered in that spirit. Sometimes we write things quickly and then upon review find that our words missed our intent.

The thing I love about EC is that it is a truly supportive environment, where we can be vulnerable, and come to terms with extremely difficult and emotional issues, some of which we have been wrestling with for ages. None of this is easy, and this forum plays a key role in our paths forward - as long as the supportive environment can be maintained ("a safe online community"). There are many places on the internet where we can go for judgmental opinions and quick criticisms - I'm hoping this won't become one of them.

I greatly admire 55's courage in posting the intimate details of what he's gone through - and I personally draw inspiration, courage and empathy from them. Many of us, including myself, have made many mistakes throughout our lives -- most of them unintentional, some of them not so. I hope this forum will continue to provide people with the support, encouragement and empathetic advice that makes this group and community so special.

Maxx

10. Lewnatic

I'm going to take a wild assumption and assume this means me. I wasn't intending to be judgemental, I'm trying to help. To be honest, I find your indirect comment rather rude and inappropriate as you must have known I'd read it.

11. maxx

Lewnatic - your post was not the one that I read that precipitated my post, but it is not directed at any one in particular.

I think the main thing is that we are all vulnerable when we post here - and it helps so much when we sense the other person cares about us and our growth and that the advice and encouragement stems from a positive, nurturing space. We need to know people care before we can truly hear their words - at least that's what is true for me.

No offense intended.

Maxx

12. maxx

55 - have you ever thought about joining a gym or health club? I was thinking this might be a good way to occupy your time, increase your energy, make you feel better about yourself, as well as providing a social aspect. I've never been a gym rat myself, but I think that might be a good outlet for me in this situation. I find it hard to get into an exercise habit, but know that when I do, I feel a lot better. Plus, who knows, maybe your guy is a personal trainer? :slight_smile:

All the best,
    Maxx

13. NomadicDave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm so glad you started this thread. I feel the pain and struggle of your words. Honest and Raw. Since this forum is still so new to me I doubt I'll be able to offer advice of any substance. I'm just not that far along yet. I'm reminded of an old saying - "The pain is in the wanting". For me, clarity is rarely found in my head but it surely resides in my heart. You said I will never regret the decision. Never. Now that is heartfelt and give me strength to move forward on my journey. Thank you so much.

14. 55

Let's everyone who's posted to this thread just have a big hug!! (&&&)(&&&)(&&&)(&&&)

Maxx and KneeDragger, you're my homies! Hey, I never thought of that as a gay term before. (!) I like it!

Maxx, I think your idea about joining a gym is a good one. I'll have to look into it. I'll visit during their busiest time and ask for part of the tour to include the locker rooms and showers! (I hope nobody here stones me for that one - I'm joking!)

See, I'm not sad all the time!

Also, Maxx, I got so tied up in defending my original post that I neglected to answer your questions. What makes me glad and most proud of coming out is that the weight is lifted, I'm not causing additional pain to my loved ones, and I can be just one human being instead of a fractured, tormented soul.

NomadicDave, I just read your post before I submitted this. You totally got my intent. My heart aches for where you are at this point on your path. We all need eachother. One day you'll say just the right thing to me too.

Love you guys! :kiss:

15. maxx

55 - Just remember, no cameras in the locker room :eusa_danc

And thanks for sharing what makes you most proud - I look forward to the day I can redirect all the energy I've been spending on maintaining the illusion to me and to others and directing it to being an authentic, genuine, and as you say, a 'unified' human being.

(&&&)

Your Homie,
    Maxx