1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*sigh*

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mirko, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I thought re-joining a dating website is going to be a good idea. But instead I feel already disappointed and I'm getting to the point of just wanting to delete the profile again. My current feelings could very well be connected to my previous experience with the same site though.

I just wrote a reply to someone who is 50 years old, who contacted me because he liked what I said about myself and it sparked an interest in him. I should be happy but instead it leaves me disappointed. Why?

I politely told him that despite our similar interests, I'm not interested in dating him. I tried to leave it on good terms as best as I could. I invited him to chat and if he wants we can try building a friendship. But I don't think I would ever be comfortable in going further than that. I know already that I would feel awkward going on a date.

At the same time, I feel bad because he, of all the people that have messaged me on this site with dating intentions, seems genuine. He is the first not to give me a run down of his specs before I even had a chance to introduce myself. All I'm getting are messages from 50+ and 60 year olds - no offense to anyone in that age category. But, I just can't see myself going on a date with a 50+, let alone a 60 year old guy. And most of the 50+ year olds are making insinuations that boil down to whether I'm free in the evening for a quicky.

At the same time, I find it frustrating that people just can't be themselves and use terminology to describe themselves that make things seem larger, better than they are in the real world. Every time when I read statements and terminology such as "down to earth guy," "easy-going", my first thoughts are: define it! What does this mean? Just tell me something about yourself, and cut out all that non-defining terminology.

Why is it that people on dating sites have to make their lives bigger than they actually are? Why can't they just be themselves and tell it as it is? Isn't this a lot more attractive?

:bang:

2. ryanninjasheep

Im not sure if that was just a rant, or you actually want to know

3. Lewnatic

Is this a certain app for the iPod?
    I agree with ryanninjasheep... Is this a rant or do you want something?
    If you're looking for any advice, get off this online thing. Online dating and gay people are never really going to mix because so much anonymity is involved and you get 50+ men hitting on vulnerable teenagers... You're better off going to gay bars.

4. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay, unlike the previous posters, I'm going to assume you want theories. Luckily, theorising is what I'm good at :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    So... some thoughts:

- Whenever two or more human beings get together, they tend to instinctively make a ranking. Who's the biggest, who's the handsomest, who could beat who in a fight (As an anecdote: I'm a very soft-spoken guy, but when a new guy arrives in my judo club... I make damn sure I win my first fight against him :icon_wink). Essentially the forces of evolution at work: proving you're the fittest.

And then the setting of a dating site takes that and cranks the contrast up to 11. Lists and lists of people, and you can index them with the click of a button. If you're desperate, or even just very interested in appearing as favourable to a large audience, the option to lie and put yourself a few places ahead in (what you perceive to be) other people's ranking is just too great for some.

It starts with giving yourself an extra inch of height, and already deducting those 10 pounds you're planning to lose anyway. And for some, it ends in rampant re-invention of their life, in the hopes that when they met a nice guy, he'll be smitten enough to overlook a few embellishments.

- Noncommittal terminology serves the same purpose, really. Makes you able to type about yourself, but not in so much detail that some of your traits risk turning people off. It's much easier to say "I have a wide variety of interests" than listing "sci-fi, gaming and RPGs". That might make people jump to the conclusion of "too much of a nerd for me", and that's obviously not what anyone wants as a reaction on his dating profile. So usually, people go for a profile with a decent amount of words, but nothing that tey couldn't plausibly deny when actively talking to someone.

Plus... things like "easy-going" and "down to earth" are just common parlance these days. Actually... I have some of them in my EC profile. When I put it there, I meant is just as a friendly: "don't hesitate to approach me. I won't bite!". So maybe you shouldn't take it as anything else on a dating site either.

- Finally, the sad truth is that a lot of gay people have pretty bad self-confidence issues. Guys like that tend to do all of the above even worse than a confident person would do.

What to do about human nature? Not much you can do, I'm afraid.
    Two options spring to mind.

1) Get off that site, and meet more people, being out and proud as you do so. Slower method, but you're not going to run into as much dating site idiosyncrasies.

2) Contact people who seem somewhat interesting despite grandstanding and/or vapid sentences. Suffer their efforts to prove they really are desirable, and try to push beyond that to a more normal conversation. Treat the dating site exaggerations etc. as a kind of temporary insanity on their part, but see if they might not still be valuable people underneath. Might make you eyeroll every time when you first talk to someone, but you might have some luck.

5. sanguine

maybe you can meet some guys through friends or someone who likes to play match maker.

lol at Lewnatic, if you have ever read Mirko's posts you would know that 'certain' app on iphone/ipod/android is something I would think is waaaay to low of a standard for Mirko, he doesnt seem like that kinda guy.

dw Mirko I think you will find someone just perfect :slight_smile:

6. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It was a rant more than anything. :slight_smile:

Thanks guys for your input. Filip, thanks for your thoughts and theories. Before getting off completely and deleting my profile for the second time, I'll try contacting a couple of guys that sound a bit more 'real' I suppose.

Well, the 50 year old guy messaged back and he seems to be interested in trying to build a friendship, and opened up a bit more about himself. So far so good.

7. Jim1454

Hi Mirko.

I my mind, nothing ventured, nothing gained. I don't see the harm in trying. If you're being honest about what you're looking for, I tend to think that there's at least ONE other guy on that site who is like minded, in the same age range, and available. You just shouldn't expect him to appear in the first few days that youv'e been back online.

In addition to that though, what else could you do? Are there any gay groups or organizations in your area that you could join? Events that you could attend? Bowling leagues that you could play in? (Even if you're not that fond of bowling...) The more often you're out and interacting, the more likely you're going to meet someone.

If none of those things are available, maybe you could start one! Short of doing that, you could even put up an ad indicating that you're really just looking for platonic friends - and see what you get. When I first was coming out I did that - and I got a few good responses. One of the guys attended our wedding last summer, and I'll be seeing him on Thursday of this week. I put that ad up 5 years ago - so lasting friendships can come out of online ads. I'm living proof. And had I not met my husband, perhaps that friend would have eventually introduced me to someone who was dating material.

I know I'm not telling you anything you don't already know - but sometimes when it's our own life we're thinking about it's tough to step back and look at the possibilities.

8. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Online dating is harsh place to date in my opinion. You have to play by different rules and I also think that it makes you be meaner than in person.

You are way nicer than me when I used to use an online profile. If someone that age would have messaged me I wouldn't have even replied to him in order to avoid any miscommunication. Specially since a lot of people online seem to not get that you are simply not interested in them.

Maybe you need a new dating site? One that allows you to be strict about the age of people you are looking for and other stuff?

9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel for you. Most of the 50 and 60 year old guys on those sites, for the most part, don't "get it". And most of the younger ones aren't really looking for relationships, in spite of what they might say. Of course it varies a lot depending on what site it is. There's only one I know of that I've heard of many people having good success with, and all the rest tend to be hookups, in spite of what they might claim. And even that one is full of people there for the wrong reasons.

Here's my theory... which has absolutely nothing to back it up except my intuition.

I think much of gay culture, and gay dating culture in particular, is rooted in shame and numbing behaviors. When we think of the culture -- both in the club scene and in online dating -- where people introducing themselves (or very early on in conversation) are talking about their dick size, whether they're top or bottom or vers, and so forth, those are in many way very superficial things. Same with posting a bunch of pics shirtless or in provocative clothing, or naked or whatever. We can put ourselves out there that way without really putting our authentic selves out there. We numb out and avoid making ourselves truly vulnerable, because that way, if we get shot down, it doesn't hurt.

Likewise, on the flip side, people who are looking for others are drawn to pics, dick size, because at some level they also realize that it is, in an odd way, "safe" to talk about things that are directly sexual rather than talking about our personality, our fears, our attractions, and things that are more personal... because when we put those out there, we are making ourselves more vulnerable. With our self-esteem issues or shame (and everyone does, and the less we talk about it, the more we have it), we fear being rejected; that we don't "belong" and so instead, we try to "fit in" by either seeking attention at a club, or by making ourselves attractive and talking about what a great sexual partner we are.

The paradox is, vulnerability (in the context of openness in communication, in seeking relationships, and in friendships) is the thing I most want from you when I'm connecting with you; but the thing I'm most afraid of giving you.

That's one of the reasons I think the dating sites that have a whole bunch of questionnaires, personality and interest tests, and the like, and use those for compatibility scoring might produce a much higher quality of person than the other ones, simply because we, in a way, have to make ourselves vulnerable by answering those questionnaires and tests... and allowing that information to be used to help us find others. We instinctively want others who share similar interests to us, yet our first response, as you said, is to talk about superficial stuff.

And, as I think about it, I think that might also be why activities that aren't focused on dating or hookups, such as book clubs, hiking clubs, gaming nights, and community-focused activities might have a higher yield in terms of creating deep friendships and the possibility of relationships. Because we can be more authentic, since we aren't there for the purposes of putting ourselves "on display" to find a relationship.

I'm not sure how "on the money" (if at all) all of the above is, but it just sorta started coming out as I was thinking about this.

On a completely separate note: I would suggest being really cautious about developing the friendship with the 50 year old. In spite of what he says, I can all but guarantee, based on the experiences many of my friends have had, that he isn't looking for a friendship, regardless of what he says. More likely, he's taking what he can get, and desperately hoping he can turn it into a relationship, once he convinces you what a wonderful person he is. And for 90% of them, anyway, once they figure out that it will never turn into a relationship or a hookup... they end up moving on. So just be careful about investing too much into it. I hope I'm wrong, but that isn't what I have seen based on the experiences of many other people I've spoken to.

10. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks Jim. I agree with the idea "nothing ventured, nothing gained" and that is/was my primary motivation to re-create the account and give it another try. That is also why I thought of trying to see if a friendship with the guy (rather than going on a date) is possible. What Chip mentioned towards the end of his post, is definitely on my mind with this guy. I'm willing to give 'friendship' a chance, but at the same time I don't really want to be used by someone either.

I used to go to a coffee group which was alright but it seems that it is nearing its end. Interest seems to have fallen off. I was hoping that a few new people joined when I went the last time, but the opposite seems to have happened, which is unfortunate.

There is another group that I have joined for meetings but it is always the same crowd of people, and most of them tend to be in their 50s, although the group started out with people with a much wider age range attending. The last time I went, I was the youngest there. That said, I try to do a few social activities that allow me to get to know new people. I have started going to a book club which is fun, and I'm looking out for new activities that I could join in.

I have never tried your last suggestion though. I might give that a go. :slight_smile:

Usually I ignore it but I guess what got me frustrated is that I had now several older guys sending me a message and indicating that they want to meet with me, within the last week or so. I can't remember that it was this bad the first time around.

I'm not so sure about other dating websites, to be honest. I'd rather than just delete the one I have and try finding someone through the old, tried and true methods.

I think you were pretty much on the money; and I am pretty sure Brene Brown would say something along similar lines. :wink:

It's definitely something for me to think about as well as I try to get to know someone. I have messaged a couple of people and I tried to talk to some of (what I think are) the things that make them authentic and someone interesting to get to know but I am not hearing back from them at all. Rather it has always been the reverse. I am hearing from people who I don't want to hear from or are on there for the wrong reasons (at least from what I'm hoping to get out it).

Thinking about it, my preference is meeting people during social activities and out there in the community because I get to see them and what interests them right than and there, rather than a whole description about them that might not even correspond to reality.

Thanks for your thoughts/input.

11. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Phew - do I have some online dating stories. Most are good for a laugh, some are fairly heartfelt, and there's a couple genuine disasters. I actually think that a lot of what Chip had to say is pretty spot-on - although I'm not sure it's specifically limited to gay culture. The impulse to put superficial things out there and expect deep, vulnerable responses is probably really common. The first time I ever got onto dating websites, I was incredibly naive - on some level, I probably was actually thinking, "he's so cute, he must be really interested in my incredibly obscure career!" Needless to say, that didn't lead anywhere. And yes - the more a site requires from you in terms of personality information the better, in all likelihood.

I tend to act a lot like TheEdend on dating sites now - or at least I did, since I'm not on any at the moment. And again, what Chip was saying holds true for me also. Unless I'm on a site that specifically bills friendship as a viable option (as opposed to simply "friends first"), then I'm very suspicious of people who claim to want only friendship (or at least I don't believe them, and act accordingly). In the case of the guy you mentioned, especially if he already opened the door to dating, it could be hard to back completely away from that and be genuine friends - and that's not a judgment, I actually find it very understandable. I just think it's very common.

Trying a new website might be a really good idea. Incidentally, are you paying for this website? I've noticed that it makes a HUGE difference if you need a credit card to sign up. Paid sites aren't necessarily more successful in meeting someone for a date, but in meeting someone who's interested in more than just the quickest meet-up possible and is genuinely looking for companionship - much more successful. In any case, if you had no luck at this site before, nothing to be lost from trying something new, right? There are some sites (we can maybe talk over pm) that do let you filter your profile for specific information - so, for example, if you're not looking to date people 25 years older than you, then they won't even be able to see your profile. In my opinion, a really good idea as it saves everyone a lot of effort, and lets people be more confident about the profiles they are seeing in the first place.

All that said, I think any venture into online dating (or heck, dating in the first place) is going to have a low success rate - and after all, isn't it supposed to? If it's only supposed to work once, then a few failed attempts along the way are only to be expected. Try not to get discouraged. :slight_smile:

12. BudderMC

Not totally related, but I just wanted to point out that ^ this was really... uh, deep. I dunno, it just made a lot of sense. And going off of that, you don't seem like the type of guy to fit into that environment Mirko. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I don't have any experience, but perhaps people like this guy who might be friends with you opens up another opportunity to network? I'm sure you still have to be cautious of basically being preyed on... but like Jim said, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

13. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, after a few more messages and requests to meet from men in their 50s and 60s :confused: and responding to them with "thank you but not interested," I finally started talking with someone who is much closer to my age, and has quite a few similar interests. We can relate to each other on so many different things, whether they be life or educational experiences.

For the last couple of weeks we have messaged back and forth, and we even had bit of a misunderstanding, which almost ended the whole conversation. But we were able to work it out, and keep messaging each other. A few times, he has been really sweet too.

It isn't an instant crush or "OMG OMG I can't stop thinking about you," but there is something. He is definitely an interesting person, and someone I would like to get to know better and at this point, I feel that it has potential.

Even though we live in different cities, the both of us are willing to give this a chance.

After a bit of back and forth and trying to figure out what works, and with the backing of my co-worker, who basically told me "you don't have to ask, just take the day off, I can manage things, and have fun" :lol: I decided to take Tuesday off work to meet with him. I have never taken a day off work to go on a date, but I guess there is a first for everything.

It's all set. He is coming to my city and as part of the date he will get a tour of the sites.

I am excited about it. :grin:

Wish we luck!

14. Rarar

Goooooooooood luck! :slight_smile: :grin:

15. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Yay!! :slight_smile: I hope you have an awesome time! Let us know how it goes!!! :grin:

16. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is exciting! And I *do* wish you luck. :grin:

17. Jim1454

I hope you have a nice day. Can't wait to hear all about it!

18. Eleanor Rigby

Fingers crossed :slight_smile: And I ask for a full report !!! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

19. BornAnew

Gooood luck! And yup give a full report!!

20. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, the day came and went. It was wonderful. He is a really nice person. This date was filled with all kinds of firsts and I'm so glad that I took the day off work and that we went for it. It was the best first date I have ever had. :grin:

I picked him up from his arrival point (about a 45 to 60min bus ride from the city) and we took the bus back to the city. While on the bus we started talking but I think the both of us were a bit shy at first because it took a bit of time for a conversation to develop. Only once we arrived in the city and started to walk did we start talking more.

Upon arrival in downtown, we grabbed a coffee at one of my favourite places and instead of sitting down we decided to go for a walk. I started showing him some of the sights, as it was his first time in the city. While walking we started talking and let go and it started becoming a nice conversation, and it was great learning more about him. We passed the beaches/ocean and a pretty large city park. The walk ended with a guided tour of one of the major sites in the city.

After the tour we went for dinner at a Thai restaurant and that was followed with another walk. We ended up at my place and we continued talking over a coffee. The date ended with me seeing him off at the bus depot.

I will be seeing him on Sunday again. I will visit him and I'm really looking forward to it. :grin: