1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how did you know you were lgbtq?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by mia171, Jun 26, 2012.

1. mia171

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm struggling with trying to figure out what I am. I was jut wonderi:grin:ng how all of you knew.

2. Deaf Not Blind

Um Idk, I remmy telling my best friend when I was about 10 I was a boy and wanted to become a man when i grow up. my role models were grandad, my male teachers, and tv/movie male characters. the things that are stereotypically male 90% of the time attracted me. boy toys, sports like baseball and hockey and wrestling and boxing, from toddler. the more i list the more i see not usually girl likes that so much, and so the maleness outweighs female typical things i like by a landslide, i really can't hide who i am. i could be a really boyish looking acting thinking girl, but i wanted a penis to pee with when i was 11, and imagine sexual acts with women as a man since age 19. (i think I'm closer to a bit effeminate man, not enough female stuff about me to qualify as female, except the dNA)

the admission honestly to myself i am not a straight girl this year has been devastating and freeing. i am Queer, i am transgender, i am not labeling straight as i find a couple guys attractive and one i truly loved, so i will leave that door open while i sit in the closet.
    but thats how i know...im a guy.

3. Neutrality

Ya know, I remember playing a video game with a friend when I was in 5th or 6th grade....I hadn't even noticed girls but, I just kept looking at him and imagined what it would be like to kiss him. Umm fast forward, I repressed every bit of that, ignored sex and relationships all together...Eventually a girl kissed me and I just wanted to get away from her, later on a guy kissed me and that's when I had trouble denying it any longer...technically I should have known back in 5th grade, but...I admitted to myself that I'm gay after I had undeniable proof that I didn't like kissing that girl, but kissing a guy just made my heart flutter....that's just me though, from what i can gather it's really a personal thing so I'm sure everyone is different.

4. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Right off the bat, I often find myself staring at a woman and imagining kissing her or even getting intimate with her... I'll look at men and even though they might be good-looking (from a neutral point of view), I can't see myself kissing them or even just holding their hand... So that was my first clue

Grew up quite tomboyish and not fond of dresses and skirts. I like arm wrestling and I swear a lot. Prefer men's clothes and shoes over that of women.

There are many other things that play a role in it, hard to pinpoint exactly what it is, but I'd say the main thing is that I feel attracted to women and can't see myself with a man. At all. I know it's not just a phase because I've done a lot of self-searching and gave myself a lot of time (I'd say 2 years is enough) to deal with my emotions.

5. Lewnatic

I had a gay childhood experience with my best friend when we were about 10/11, which I grew up thinking was very abnormal but after researching I've heard it's actually quite common for that sort of stuff to happen. Anyway, I didn't think much of it growing up except that I remember it feeling "good." I proceeded to be attracted to girls all throughout high school, kissing them and on occasion being sexual with them, but when I was about 14 I kept having more experiences with one of my friends whilst walking home from school. Again, I thought little of it. Then when I finished highschool at 16, I began acknowledging that perhaps I was not straight as the thought of being intimate with my friend was far more pleasing than being intimate with a girl.

6. i just 'knew'.

from a young age i always looked at women, but i didnt realise it at the time. at school i would always get happy if i saw around school a girl who back then i would class a a 'fav girl'. i didnt realise i was crushing on those 'fav girls' haha.

it wasnt till i was around 13-15 i liked guys just to fit in with my friends cuz speaking to them no one else had 'fav girls' they had 'fav guys'. but when i turned 16 i did my own thing cuz i realised i wasnt weird and was happy :slight_smile:

7. samizer0313

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I checked out a girl and kind of developed a little crush when I was 12. That went quick but that hinted to me about my sexuality but I denied it to myself until I was almost 15...
    Now I have a different crush and since I discovered my sexuality, I have like the biggest crush on her and I kind of want to kiss her and she doesn't even know... :icon_redf
    I mean I could like a guy but they appeal less to me.

8. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

I think I've always noticed women more than men, but I figured that was "normal" because when you're a kid you are usually looking for friends rather than romantic partners. For some weird reason the hormones that make you want to find such a partner did not kick in when I hit puberty, so I spent most of my teens pretty clueless about my sexuality. There were a few hints, of course, like catching my eyes automatically drifting to certain parts of women (you know which ones) and then berating myself for it afterward. First major clue should have been in French class when the teacher asked (in French) whether we preferred having deep conversations with men or women. I said women. All of the other girls said men.

I didn't know I was queer until this past semester, however, when those hormones finally set in and I found myself with a huge crush on my roommate, at which point it was impossible to ignore or deny.

9. deadpoet rene

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've always known there was something a bit different about me. From my toddler years onward, I distinctly remember all my role models as being male (fictional characters, musicians, actors, authors, etc.). I didn't have that many great role models in real life so I relied on the fictional types to get me through and relate to. Gender-wise, I've always felt male. Then my teen years rolled around when I slipped into a sort of glam/goth feminine male persona. To hide from others (and be more accepted by society, family, etc.), the female side of this feminine male persona was solely put forth, which is the reason I blend very well into "normalcy" ~ and is also the reason I'm trying to get out from under that more "accepted" facade in order to embrace what I know is the real me. As you can see, gender-wise for me is one, big clusterf**k. However, when it comes to sexual orientation, I've always known I was bisexual since the first time I recognized what attraction to another person was. I've also always known my preferences, too: curvy women and feminine men. I'd like to be the latter and be with the former! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Sorry ... was that too confusing?

10. rabbit1

rabbit1 Guest

i figure i started wanting more girl things when i was around 12 yrs, old.
    started to like more girls clothing a wondering why i wasn't like that more in the shape or form of a girl.
    the other half of me still likes guy stuff though, but half of me still leans towards the girl side.
    I think alot of it came from my time spent in child adoption agency, there seems to me along of things that come out more when i think of it, and realize along of shit happened that is now behind me. Because of this i think the girl side comes out more often now.
    Most of my close friends and family don't mind they realized that things happen, and now i'am more happy this way being more open.
    So today was a great day for me, went to my doctors dressed in a cute pair of capri's pants in tan, a nice halter top with built in bra, a nice pair of bikinis underneath and a pair of sandals.
    More comfortable now then before, but still a guy in the end, and that will not change, except for my emotions for the day.
    Peace! there got it out for once!!!!!!!!!

11. Aldrick

Well, it's one of those situations where looking back it should have been obvious to everyone, myself included.

I grew up in a small town, and was raised by fairly strict parents who sheltered me a great deal from the outside world. So, I didn't even know what gay was until I was around twelve.

However, before that I already knew I was different. I already had a sexual and growing romantic interest in boys.

Probably the most obvious sign to me that I felt differently about guys than the other boys took place in the third grade. We had scheduled bathroom breaks where the entire class went to the bathroom. I had just walked away from the urinal, and was with some other guys at the sink washing my hands. Another boy had gone into one of the bathroom stalls, and for some reason the door there had been removed.

He stood up and started to dance, naked. Everyone laughed, myself included. He was doing it to goof off and get a laugh, but then one of the other boys started to go "Ewww! Gross! He's naked!" And everyone turned around. I followed suit, but I couldn't figure out what was gross about what had happened. I totally wanted to keep looking... and I kinda did, through the mirror.

Pretty much from that point forward, I was "curious" about other boys. That's probably how I would have defined it then, but in reality that curiosity was a developing sexual attraction.

By the time I was twelve, and discovered what gay was, I had already become fully aware of what I wanted from another boy. (Spoiler Alert: It wasn't friendship.) So, when I learned what gay was, I had a word to put to the feelings that I was having. Of course, I also learned that most people thought it was wrong... so that didn't help matters.

But yeah, I've pretty much always known. There are even small incidents from as early as kindergarten that I can point to that should be obvious signs that I was going to be gay.

My mother claims that she suspected that it was possible when I was around eight or so years old. I'm not sure I believe her, but it wouldn't surprise me. She couldn't point to anything specific aside from, "you know, it was just a bunch of little and minor things."

So, yeah... I think I'm pretty much a textbook case of being born gay, I definitely wasn't a late bloomer. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. confusedlady

confusedlady Guest

Hmmm...I dunno, as a child I was always interested in other girl's bodies. I fooled around with my girlfriends from 4-8. I also liked the feeling I got around boys (butterflies and giddyness).

13. BudderMC

Yeah, I definitely just knew. I think growing up, it wasn't that I knew I was "gay". In elementary school, I realized I was noticing guys... by the end of high school, it clicked that I was still noticing guys but also not interested in girls either. After half a year of university, I figured since I liked guys a label would make things a little easier, and "gay" just happened to fit... though I still don't totally identify with the term.

14. farah

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    First I was noticing girls but I brushed it off immediately as nothing serious. Then I got a huge crush on a classmate, this I couldn't ignore. So after some speculating, looking back at my behavior as a child(7-10).. I use to make guy friends easier than females friends due to being less shy. Also the way I felt about girls is nothing like they way I feel about guys. I started comparing a lot.

15. Vesper

It almost literally hit me like a brick one day about 1.5 years ago, though there were clues dating back to childhood.

16. julia

Wanting to be with a girl, not just as a friend but bringing her on a date at a restaurant, holding her hand over the table, kissing her, etc. I've also come to realize I don't want any of that with a man. I don't want to be romantic with a man and not sexual either. I know I'll only be happy with a woman.

I've had a HUGE crush on a best friend about 4 years ago, but I didn't think I was gay, at all. (Don't ask, I don't even know) I've always been attracted to girls and kissed girls when I was little. Obviously, it took me a really long time to figure out I am gay.

Good luck to you :slight_smile:

17. King

King Guest

I haven't ever not known, really. I mean, as a child I certainly didn't have a sexual orientation (I didn't like girls OR boys), but I played Barbies with my sister and was obsessed with Hilary Duff and Aly & AJ and things like that... I didn't have any friends that were boys, I didn't like sports...
    It's hard to explain. I just... know.
    Good luck in figuring out what you want! :slight_smile:

King x

18. Lewnatic

It's hard to base anything off childhood, as sexuality hasn't developed and due to environmental factors a child can cross the boundaries of either gender. The boy I fooled around with when I we were 9/10 is straight, I know he's completely straight. I'm not straight, but it doesn't have anything to do with the experience...that was just coincidence.

19. Philvanuirle

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Let's see...

- I wanted to hold hands with the cutest boys in school
    - I wanted to kiss the boys I crushed on
    - Even when I was a kid, watching blues clues, I loved staring at that dude(forgot his name)
    - I've had dreams with boys in it since I was a kid
    - I did not want to even kiss nor have sex with any of the girls.
    - My friends' boobs are all up on my face and all I say is ewe give me a trashbag
    - I was Born This Way :wink:

20. J Snow

My first time I felt truly different was over at a friend's house. I was about 12 years old and he was on a chat room pretending to be a girl to "troll" (as one would say today) people. It made me feel really good and I started doing it on my own at home. Only I was doing it because it made me feel really good.