1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am gay and have feelings for my gay best friend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by hottiedude, Jun 26, 2012.

1. hottiedude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,
    Not sure how to start. I have this friend I met through a mutual friend, our friendship is getting stronger each day. He is older than me, gentle, opinionated, funny, smart and kind.
    We developed our friendship through semi regular meetings over lunches, dinners, coffee shop meetings. He was such a good listener when I was going through a rough time.
    I also played the friend part very well, I listened to all his issues and problems, offered advised where applicable. The surprising thing to me, is that we talk every day over the phone and the call could last anywhere between 30 minutes and 2 hours and half.
    This has been going on for about a year and half now and never once we talked about "him and I". He wants to leave the country and wants to go back to his home land, so he quitted his job and in the process of selling his house. While I think he is not going to change his plans for anyone else including me, i can not wrap my head about that strong chemistry.
    He told me more than once that i am his little brother and likes the best for me. he told an ex of his that my friendship with him is like a treasure that was sent to him during his last days in the country. You can tell he made up his mind 100%, except that I feel he might be holding something back and I don't know if it is me or something else.

Am I hallucinating or there is something that I am not seeing?

2. Philvanuirle

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sometimes, your best friend is your true mate. :slight_smile: . Because you get along with them so well and have history with them.

3. Ianthe

Hi, Welcome to Empty Closets!

How much older is he than you? If he is a lot older than you, he may think you wouldn't be interested.

If he is not a citizen in your country, he may not want to start a relationship since it may be difficult to continue one. Gay people have immigration problems. In many countries, including the United States, you can't sponsor a same-sex partner for citizenship. If this is true in both of your countries, it might be very, very hard to really have a relationship.

You could tell him you're interested. You should, maybe, although without knowing more I'm not really sure. He probably won't change his plans (and maybe he can't, if his visa is up). But you could see if anything could be worked out.

4. hottiedude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi again and thanks for the replies :slight_smile:
    We both live in Canada and have carry Canadian passports. He has been in Canada since 2000 and thats when I immigrated too. He is originally Egyptian. I just ended an hour and 40 minute call with him tonight and we talked about several things, including my relatives, his step mother, his dad. He stated that his decision to return to Egypt is a one that he let his mind decide more than his heart. I wanted to challenge him in that because he is not going to work over there. He just wants to relax and possibly volunteer in some organizations. He stated that he is not going there for a guy or love interest. I told him that wasn't what I thought and it is none of my business who you choose in your life.
    As for his personal life, he had 2 or 3 major relationships here in 12 year period. I sometimes think that he has given up on the western life style here although he doesn't deny its advantages over the lifestyle in Egypt. I ask myself sometimes if he just had enough? If he leaves, will he feel a void in his life? will he find good friends who could treat him the way I do? is he going to possibly miss me? Did we both miss the opportunity to become something more than friends since we started the friendship a year and half ago?