1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Too young?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by CrucioPureblood, Jun 26, 2012.

1. CrucioPureblood

Out Status:
    All but family
    I know that I'm in the youngest group of people here, and that mostly doesn't bother me. But is it just me who feels that younger members of the LGBT community aren't taken seriously? I mean, maybe it's just me being kind of paranoid or whatever, but it feels as though a lot of people in society don't think that you can have these kinds of feelings as a young person, and that it's just a phase or a way of rebelling or whatever. I don't even know how to explain it, I just think that other people see young members of the LGBT community as confused, or insignificant. Is it just me, or do other people see this? :confused:

Also, does anyone think that they could be right? I mean, I know that a lot of people can realise who they are at young age, and that's fine. I have no problem with it, nor am I doubting it. But there are bound to be some who go through a phase, which then of course makes people believe that it's the same for everyone.

I just wanted some opinions, to see if I've gone crazy or if other people kinda agree with me.

2. King

King Guest

I totally agree. Listen, I came out at 14 to my mom - and at the time, I thought "This is for sure what I am, I'm certainly not straight" - but looking back, 14 is young. No offence to you, of course, but when I see 14 year olds in my town talking about how they're gay and bi and lesbian just throws me off... Because I often forget I came out when I was 14, so I think "You're too young!"
    Honestly though, it's the lesbians and bisexual girls that I find aren't taken seriously. I've met more then 10 girls who claimed to be lesbian or bisexual... Turns out none of them are. They make it a joke.

King x

3. Philvanuirle

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You are never too young for anything dear. If you are doing the right thing, then you should be treated with respect; however, you are still not an adult, so there are people that will treat you less of an adult.And don't get paranoid about it, it's alright.

I came out when I was 13 years old if that helps?

#3 Philvanuirle, Jun 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  4. J Snow

Well, I can only speak for how I was at your age. I knew I wanted to be a girl, but I honestly thought it was probably just something most people felt. I mean, I kind of told myself "maybe every boy my age would like to try being a girl."

I had been enrolled in Catholic school my whole life, so all I could do was pray to be a girl. To change the way God made you was considered a horrible sin. So I just told myself I would pray about it, but continue to live my life as "normal." In other words, I was in hardcore denial and really stayed that way until I was about 20.

So in other words, in my case they were right and wrong. I wasn't sure, and even I thought it was probably a stage. But it wasn't a stage, and my denial and confusion was more a product of my environment and fear than anything about me.

If you are confident in who you are, then that's what's really important. Don't let anybody else tell you what you are or aren't.

5. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd say you are correct all around. Being your age can be a confusing time for most people, and that is what people fall back on. My guess it is a mild form of LGBT phobia, like they just hope it will go away. For some people it can be a phase though, so we can't deny that. But I say that you are lucky to know yourself and accept yourself so young, I wish I could have done that a 14. Good for you bud

6. JackWin

I think it is different for everyone. People mature, grow, and learn about themselves at a faster or slower rate than other people. If your 14, and you know for a fact that your gay, and you know who you are then go for it. I really do not think it makes much of a difference if your 14 or 18 or 25 or any age for that matter.

7. CrucioPureblood

Out Status:
    All but family
    I agree with all of you. I think you can be any age and be confident with your sexuality and who you are. But then you have people who kin of abuse that right to be taken seriously by pretending to be gay or lesbian just for the fun of it. It doesn't gain anything for anyone. You're lying to yourself, to everyone else around you, and it also means that people who genuinely feel that way have to suffer from problems that people like that cause. I don't doubt who I am, nor anyone else for that matter, but even my friends do. They say that I'm going through a phase, or that this guy is saying he's gay just for attention. It's really not fair :/

8. Gen

Gen

Personally, I think its mainly women who arent taken seriously. For men its usually the mother and father who believe that it is a "phase". Other people usually believe it when a man says he is gay, because it is more critized by society. For Women its different because often times women are praised by men for being lesbians. So, if a women says she is a lesbian, people usually label her as bisexual or and attention seeker.

Personally, I believe that if you are, you are. That being said, It takes me back too, when a very young person says that they are gay. I'm not certain why its just..............Well sure I've always liked guys, but I dont even thing I was certain how they had sex when I was 11, so It just shocks me when this kids are like I"M GAY before they even hit puberty. Its like theres no rush. Maybe your bi or tans or whatever. Atleast take the time to think about it. Because when people are gay, then bi a year later, than trans, then bi, then asexual, etc........... Its makes it harder for us to teach people that this isnt a choice.

I dont know, just some thoughts.....

9. ryanninjasheep

Im probably one of the youngest people here (12)
    I get taken seriously

---------- Post added 26th Jun 2012 at 10:45 PM ----------

... if I want to be

10. Random Dent

Random Dent Guest

So if 14 is too young to think of yourself as gay, what about all the other boys & girls who find themselves attracted to the opposite sex? Do we tell them they are too young to know if they like the opposite sex?

Up until I hit puberty I thought I was supposed to like boys, but as soon as I hit puberty I was noticing the girls in the locker room differently. I wanted to kiss the girls - not the boys. I realized I liked girls then.

No, I do not think you are too young. We find out who we like when we go through puberty (some even younger). I say live your life and be happy with who you are; gay, straight, bisexual, transgender, whatever.

11. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wish I could've accepted who I am, a long time ago, it would've made my life a whole lot easier. I think what you're saying is true, but IMO, it's because society likes to believe younger people are immature. However, age ain't nothing, but a number and we all know that, but society loves to categorize people. I like to think that maturity comes with age, but sometimes, it skips quite a few people lol. I'm 25, and it's crazy because I gave myself a hard time during my early 20's. I had to have everything figured (regarding my sexual orientation) by the time I turned 25, and surprisingly I do. This girl, who is younger than me helped me learn to be happy and to accept myself and I thank her so much. If you know who you are then don't worry about what other people think. I have to commend the younger generation, I wish I had been brave enough to accept being gay years ago. It's kinda funny because the younger generation also makes me feel so old, but coming out for me seems like it happened yesterday. I'm still the same as I was yesterday, I've known I was interested in girls since I was 7, so no, I do not believe you are too young.

#11 pinklov3ly, Jun 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  12. GayJay

I don't think it makes you to young you still have a lot of experiences to come and a lot of time for your mind to sub-consciously. change. Not saying you aren't what you say you are but that time will make things more clearer.
    I'm speaking for myself here as i'm only 16 and think for sure my mind is made up. I just know it! But things could still change. (but i doubt it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

13. NoName114

NoName114 Guest

there isn't really "too young" it just might take someone more time to make inner peace and more time to find enough to come out, I knew I was gay since I was 12, I felt OK coming out at 15

14. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to think that 12 or 14 or 15 was too young to know for sure. (This in part motivated by the fact that I was utterly clueless until much later on, my mid-20s.)

But having read a lot, talked to an awful lot of people, and studied sexual identity... and also, recognizing that society has changed considerably and talk and awareness about sexuality happens at a much younger age than it used to... I absolutely believe that someone can know with complete certainty what their sexual orientation is probably by the time of puberty.

I think many people may know well before that, but, at least based on my current thinking, I suspect that reliable awareness has to wait for puberty, since much of sexual expression and attraction doesn't happen until around that time.

I also strongly believe that most of the adults saying "Oh, you're too young, you can't know" or "How can you know when you haven't been with a (person of the opposite sex) yet". Both of those are ridiculous questions since if you flip the question around, a straight person doesn't need to have a same-sex encounter to know they aren't gay, and doesn't need to date or have sex with anyone to know they are attracted to the opposite sex.

So I do think it's mild homophobia, coupled with denial and fear and simply not wanting their child/loved one to be LGBT.

15. sanguine

well ive known as far back as my first memory at 5 years old, and when I tell people ive always known they tell me I couldnt have as if they know me better than I do.

I was quite the opposite of Chip thought, because my mentality is how can you not know your own sexual orientation, but like Chip ive learnt to accept that people are different from experiences.

thats why I never comment on posts about sexuality and figuring yourself out, because I dont understand how you cannot know what or who you are when you are well past puberty, just like how some people cant understand how I knew I was gay as early as 5 years old.

bottom line, you know yourself better than others, and be truthful and open minded, because at the end of the day you have to live with what ever lies or truths you decided to tell other people, and you can never fool yourself.

16. King

King Guest

x1000

When a boy says he's gay, at least with my personal experience, he's gay. I've never heard of a boy who came out as gay in my town, then retracted it. It's mostly girls.

King x

17. spud

Jackwin’s got a great point if you are happy with who you are then be yourself age has go nothing to do with it.

There is a lot of good advice on her and as from someone who struggled for a long time with denial of his sexuality. (Who knew from the time of 13 and had an idea even before then even if at that time he didn’t know what it was) I would say you will have a great life if you are happy with your sexuality and who you are now.

18. Carm

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It's safer to think you're gay now and maybe figure out you're bi later than to think all along you're straigh and screw up your life with decisions that have huge consequences. You're okay. Take yourself seriously. And stick to it.