1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my family coming to terms with me being gay or just not believing me

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Gazza123, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Right so a little background on the situation first.

I came out to my parents recently, via text message, and they both were fine with it and accepted it without question... or so I thought.

Now at the place where mam works there are two gay guys and when my mom got my text she told them and I'm lead to believe this is how the conversation went. Now at the start of the day I had told my dad to tell my mam that I had important news to tell her and that I was gonna text her when I got up, as I had already told him the night before.

She told them at work, since they more like friends at work than work colleagues that

mom "My son is gonna tell me something important"
    gay guy 1 "Ah right" in that sort of way that he already knew what my news was

Anyways forward a few hours to when my mom got my text
    gay guy 1 "So has he come out yet"
    mom "Yeah"
    gay guy 2 "Well we could have told you that ages ago"
    (It went something along those lines)

Proving that they knew in some way I was gay. Gaydar I something but they said they knew it

They told her that they had an idea and just didn't wanna ask my mom if I was. Infact one of the gays asked my moms friend to ask her if I was gay the week before I came out.

Anyways come tonight I my parents really wanna talk to me about and I don't. At least not yet.

My dad said tonight that

"I need convincing that you are gay. You can't just drop this bombshell on my and your mom without talking about it. Just because you like Lady GaGa doesn't meant your gay"

Even though I told him that me liking Lady gaga has nothing to do with me being gay. It just so happens I like her music and her as a person.

Now since my mom has gays at her work place she more of a, know how, than my dad does and is a lot more at ease with it I guess. Not that my dad has something against gays he just doesn't believe how I could be I think or doesn't believe me.

I don't wanna talk about it thought... not yet anyway. They want me to explain how I know I'm gay but I don't know how.

I just know. Like a straight guy knows his gay. I'm gay and I just know it. I;ve done nothing with a guy or kissed a guy or had a boyfriend but I know I'm gay.

I just know it

But I feel this explanation won't be enough

What do I do?

2. Try to explain to them that you just like guys because it's a feeling inside, and that you feel "happy" (for lack of better word) when you're around them. Perhaps try to compare it to knowing how you like a certain color (how is orange any better or worse than green? it's completely subjective and there is probably no objective "score" that tells you which color is better, and why you should like the color green and not the color orange). You just know how you feel.

3. Flipper

I think your Dad is being a bit unfair to you here, although I don't mean that as a criticism of him at all, just an observation from what you have written.
    If you were straight, you wouldn't have to prove it, it would be assumed that you were clued up on all aspects of being attracted to girls.
    All I can say to you is that, sometimes, you just know. And I will also say that I will never forget the time I first kissed a boy. It was amazing, and it just felt right. That experience was special and personal to me, and I didn't have to share it to prove my sexuality, and neither should you. Hope this helps!

4. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Oh that elusive first kiss. I want it... But sadly with me being a somewhat, for want of a better word, a hermit. It ain't gonna happen. I do go out with family and that but I have little not to no friends, well one good friend but he lives miles away and that's it. :icon_sad:

Anyways you do raise a good point which I have highlighted in bold

5. Flipper

One day, the kiss will happen- dont lose hope!!

6. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Sorry

But I lost hope on that kiss a long while ago. Never gonna happen for me :icon_sad:

7. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not really ready to talk to my parents about it either, and I told them by letter. It's your life, you don't have to if you're not ready. But I agree, just try to explain it to them that it's just something you know. Ask them how they know that they're straight.

Also, I know how that whole kiss thing goes. I never go out or do anything and I'm never around other people so it does seem impossible. But it's not. We'll both get out someday and there is hope. Don't worry. It sucks, but it just takes time.