1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prosopagnosia

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Chimera, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Chimera

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    (I couldn't tell where to post this, so please move it if need be!)

I have trouble recognizing and remembering people's faces. A lot of trouble. It's called prosopagnosia, or simply face blindness. I don't have it so bad that I can't recognize myself or my closest friends, but everyone else, including coworkers and acquaintances, might as well be complete strangers. When hanging out with new people I try to casually inject this fact into the conversation, such as, "Hey, can you help me flag down our waitress? I'm face blind and can't tell people in uniform apart." However, I feel I lose out big time when trying to meet new people. I frequent the same clubs and NEVER recognize the other regulars. This kills my ability to join the culture or make new friends. Oh, and you know what really sucks? When I shrug away some stranger who recognizes me, and later realize that that "stranger" was some totally awesome person I was dying to meet again.

I don't want to have to introduce myself by saying, "Hi, I'm Megan, and I'm face blind. Have I told you that already?" …because I actually have.

So my question is this: What can I say to people when this happens that doesn't make me sound like a complete nutcase? Blubbering an apology always drives people away, and most people are unfamiliar with this condition.

On a funny note, you know what really drives me nutty? Same-sex couples :icon_redf

2. Deaf Not Blind

i aint never heard of it.
    i would not undy face blind, you would have to give me example if we just met.
    i would think after you met someone get their names and if it sounds familiar ask if you met before cuz you are "just so bad with faces."

3. Mercy

Mercy Guest

watch the movie faces in the crowd itl help you so much in your experience i promise you

4. Chimera

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Deaf Not Blind, if you're a westerner I might ask, "Do you have trouble telling individual chinese people apart? Well, that's me with everybody!" Unfortunately, this deficiency also affects my ability to remember names and numbers as well. I try to friend people on Facebook early on so I can learn faster, which helps. My next tactic is, "I can't remember what people look like, but I never forget a person, so tell me where we've met and I will make the connection..." I guess if they never want to see me again all they have to do is never reintroduce themselves :/

Mercy, I have to watch movies featuring normal looking folks with friends so they can help me keep track of the characters. Even movies featuring famous actors are difficult! Gay movies featuring similar looking actors are extremely troubling, especially considering I'm stuck watching those alone.