1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Social Anxiety

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BlissfullyAware, Jun 28, 2012.

1. BlissfullyAware

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've recently come to terms with my sexuality, but now that I'm trying to just go with it, different social situations can cause me a ton of anxiety in terms of feeling like I won't know what to say/do. I know it sounds silly, but even though I know I should just relax I just can't.. Anyone who's also experienced something like this, how long until it gets easier?

2. Night Rain

Oh I know what you're feeling. But if you really have social anxiety, it won't just go away. :icon_sad: You may learn to coop with it and reduce the anxiety. This is a psychological disorder. You may want to go to a doctor for better help.
    But it could be part of accepting your sexuality. Did you come out to anyone? It may help a lot if you have someone who know you for who you are beside you.
    OK so I double checked and saw that you did come out to a few people. That's a good start.
    So, do you feel anxious because you're afraid they will know about your sexuality? Maybe your brain subconsciously tries to hide your sexuality from other people and thus making you nervous. Of course things like this will go away when you have truly accepted it and it became something as natural as being right-handed to you.

3. khamomile

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I think this is a really awesome post because it's so relatable! What works for me is just literally asking tons of questions. People like to feel like your interested in them. It sounds like you have some problems with worrying about acceptance- from my point of view, which could be totally wrong. But, there's no use in being uncomfortable at this point, so asking lots of questions and making other people talk about themselves is really helpful! Eventually, I recommend trying to slowly ease into telling people or getting used to telling people. But, for now, if you really feel like you don't know what to say, just be cool and act like the other people around you are too interesting for you to be talking about yourself. I believe becoming comfortable with saying the truth about yourself is important, but don't force yourself into it because I feel it could make things worse if you're not ready!