1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Something I learned today...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Kidd, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I don't really need any advice but I just wanted to tell you guys about something that happened today. I guess if anything I'm giving advice here that I think everyone can relate to at some point down the road if not already. Consider this a PSA if you want. Today I sat in on some of our probationer's interviews with some news-people that were there today for a series they're producing. All of the probationers that were interviewed today are recovering addicts, some from pills, some from alcohol, and all of them are recovering heroin addicts on top of their other addictions, but one probationer in particular really rattled me.

I was sitting off to the side, listening to this probationer (let's call him Matt) be interviewed by a guy from the news, and the guy asked Matt what led him into addiction. He said physical abuse, he had a bad home life, and then he said something I wasn't expecting, he said he was mercilessly bullied by other kids during high school and then he said that the bullying was a "major contributing factor." It shocked me because I went to high school with Matt. I actually used to tutor him during study hall and help him with tests and stuff like that when I had time. We were never friends, but we were acquaintances. He said he was bullied because he was poor, because he wasn't very smart, because he was too scrawny, and whatever. It went on and on. The more he talked about it, the more I started remembering those days from when we were in school together, and I felt my back totally ice.

I remembered watching him get bullied and doing nothing on more than one occasion. I was never a bully in high school, but some of my friends were, and even though I went out of my way to stop them when I could, I know I could have and should have done more to reign them in. The bullying and taunts and stuff seemed so trivial and stupid and childish at the time, but now almost five years down the road it's led to Matt's heroin addiction and basically ruined his life. He shares a lot of blame for the way his life is now, but so do a lot of my friends. And I feel like I'm partially responsible in a way as well. I started thinking about all of the other kids like Matt that I know were bullied, and it made me wonder how they're doing now.

If you see someone getting bullied or you yourself are bullying somebody, do something to stop it or heal it. You don't have to start a confrontation in the actual moment but if you think you can handle that then do the right thing and stand up for someone else because you could literally change their life, even with something as innocent and simple as a "How are you doing? Are you ok?" afterwords. I never asked Matt those questions because I honestly didn't care enough at the time to do it, I didn't think it was even that serious, but I should have. When I was in high school never in a million years could I have pictured what happened today. And it has literally just changed me forever.

2. LailaForbidden

Wow. Thats so sad and moving. I'll definitley remember this. thank you for posting!

3. Deaf Not Blind

I was tortured. Not just bullied. from 1st-5th grade. it followed me 2 schools and to my church. The adults saw me being literally stoned by a line of middleschooler boys and no help. there is much much much more. Yeah, it has affected me permanently did damage to me. And it appears they are indifferent or ignorant. Didn't give a care if i died. about 150 or more kids/adults knew or participated in bullying me.

4. Philvanuirle

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was kicked... punched... beaten up... I don't remember how I looked after because it was when I was really young. It all stopped when I moved at age of 8 to America, but I hid myself and re-invented a new me. Though it lasted for quite some time. And I regret it dearly :frowning2: Yea I am only 16, but I wished the other 6 years, I was my trueself.