1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Socially inept

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Soliris, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Soliris

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I just moved from California to Virginia. I've always been somewhat socially awkward and tended to stick with my small group of friends back home. I want to get out and meet people, but I just keep making excuses to myself and end up home alone. I was a bit better back in Cali, cause I had people that I could go places with and have a safety net. Now the only people I know here are my coworkers, and none of them have interests anything remotely similar to mine outside of work. I'm 24 and have never had a girlfriend (or boyfriend) and have never had a relationship. I feel like I'm wasting my life hiding from the world.

2. alwayshope11

Never feel like you're wasting your life! Things happen when they are meant to...just try and be patient!

3. Silvails52

Trust me, I know that feeling all too well. I'm terrible at making conversations. But you're not wasting your life. I'm not quite sure how you would find someone. Are you going to college by any chance?

4. dl72

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sometimes you need to go out and make it happen. It is hard when you move because you don't know many people. You need to go out because that is the only way you will get to know people. Good luck.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow. I grew up in suburban Virginia, and now live in California... and I'd say that almost anywhere in California to Middleburg is a pretty dramatic change of political and social scenery :slight_smile:

I can relate to being a bit socially inept around new people, particularly when you feel like you're the only one who doesn't know others around you. It's not easy for anyone but much harder for some than others. The best suggestion I can offer is to just try and stretch yourself a bit and intentionally make yourself a little uncomfortable to get yourself out there. I can all but guarantee you will be happier for doing so.

You might also look around to see what sorts of social activities might be around where you'd find like-minded people. While Middleburg isn't the most liberal of places, there are areas not too far from there that are a bit more open. So you might expand your search a bit and see what sorts of groups are within spittin' distance that might be a good fit for you.