1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A friend took back the word fag

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MathMan, Jun 28, 2012.

1. MathMan

This afternoon I decided to buy myself an outfit. I got something that I liked and for once in my damn life I decided to get something that I really liked without worrying what other people thought. It was a tight, small tan/cream colored t-shirt with semi-tight faded blue jeans. It was actually a pretty good hint to my sexuality and I wanted it to be. I felt great all day. Anyway, I think one of my friends here has suspected me being gay before but I think his suspicions went up when he saw me in that outfit. Reason I think he is pretty sure I am gay is because he was talking about some actor he didn't necessarily like and the first thing that popped out of his mind was "he's a fag", but then he quickly said "wait, I didn't mean that, he's just an asshole". Normally he wouldn't have changed his wording like that at all. It made me feel good inside because I haven't came out or anything and It seems he knows AND doesn't want to offend me. Coming out to these people might not be as bad as I am imagining it in my head. Do y'all think that was a good sign with that comment he made?

2. Carm

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Very good sign

3. alexi12

alexi12 Guest

It's a good sign either way weather he suspects you or not :slight_smile:

4. October

I think it is. It definitely shows that he cares about you enough that, though he doesn't know for sure, he doesn't want to risk hurting you by insulting lgbt in general :slight_smile:

5. bob94

It's definitely a good sign. He obviously suspects your sexuality, otherwise he probably wouldn't have felt the need to retract what he said. And what makes it even better is the fact that he suspects you being gay, and he still wants to hang out with you. It sounds like you have a good, open-minded friend there, buddy :slight_smile:.

#5 bob94, Jun 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  6. MathMan

7. Ianthe

Whether or not it's because he suspects you are gay, it definitely means that he knows disparaging people based on their sexuality isn't right, and he doesn't really believe that there is something wrong with being gay. Whether it's directly related to you or not, he's trying to correct his behavior.

A lot of people say homophobic things thoughtlessly and don't really mean them.

I think this is someone who will still be your friend when you come out to him.

8. BudderMC

It sounds promising. Not necessarily because he suspects you're gay, but it's a pretty good indicator he'll be accepting down the road.