1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How would you get involved in HRC or something similar?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by runallday4, Jun 29, 2012.

1. runallday4

runallday4 Guest

Next year when I go to college I want to do some LGBT activism, and I was looking into organizations that do that (like HRC and ACLU) and it seems like they're not looking for my help, only my money. I tried looking around on the site for a while, but I didn't see many volunteer opportunities, or anything. The few things I did see were internships for Pre-Law students, but I'm not interested in that, so I don't know what I'd do. I was hoping they'd have something that I could do to help out with fundraising or events.

Does anyone have any experience with groups like this? Is it really that hard to help people?

2. Ianthe

Depending on where you go to school, there will probably be an activist student organization (this would usually be separate from the social/support group).

Otherwise, look for more local organizations rather than the big national ones. They will have more local opportunities for volunteering.

3. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

^ Ding! Local organizations is where you are going to find the most opportunities to volunteer and help the community.

Don't get me wrong, national organizations are awesome, but they are limited to whether or not there is an existing chapter near you. You could volunteer to create a chapter in your area...but it takes A LOT of work and effort that most people our age aren't ready for. If there is a chapter near you then its easier to volunteer. I personally volunteer with HRC for pretty much every single event they have around here. And even that its only really 4 times a year if anything.

Do you know if there are any LGBT centers near you? If there are any GSAs near your area like Ianthe said then that would be your best bet to get started.

4. runallday4

runallday4 Guest

I was planning on getting involved once I start college, but most of the schools I'm applying to are near a city, so I'm assuming there should be some type of organization in most of them. I guess I'll just look for local organizations.