1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need to do some venting about Homophobia

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Chierro, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm so sick of people lately. My friend Nate, who knows I'm bi, is a total homophobe and personally I find THAT disgusting. And a lot of the people I work with are too, or at least seem to be. Most notably was what happened today. I sitting at my workplace, I work at an amusement park, with my friend Kelsey. Later in the day these two guys went and sat on a bench across from us, they kissed and eventually were making out. I laughed it off, it was awkward, it's not something we normally see. She just went on and on about how it was unnatural and weird. I said to her 'you're terrible' just jokingly, but I was meaning it entirely. Her boyfriend came over after the guys left and she told him and his exacts words were 'That's fucking disgusting.' He left and I wanted to go to Kelsey and be like 'Bitch, shut the fuck up already, k? Thanks.' But the whole reason those guys left was because a security guard came over and told them to leave. Yes, they were making out, earlier, but I see PLENTY of straight couples make out. What they were doing when the security guard came over was one guy was laying in the other's lap...something else I've seen straight couples do. I'm just so sick of homophobia, but what's worse is the fact that we work at an amusement park, I mean really, show some respect people or quit.

2. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's sick, straight people making out in front of you are just as gross. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    But seriously, can you not report this or something? If they made them leave just because of their orientation... I don't know much about this, but I completely agree how disgusting it is when that happens.

On the bright side, you work at an amusement park? So cool. :thumbsup:

3. DanA

My first reaction to homophobia is just leave me alone. Like, if I'm in a public place with my man and I want to kiss him or hold hands or whatever, let me be.

I mean, I had "faggot" shouted at me when I was making out with a guy in a bar. It wasn't a gay bar but it wasn't like an overly straight bar either. It hurt, a lot. It made me not want to have a relationship at that moment because I don't want to be open to that ever. It makes you feel like absolute dog shit. And you know what else makes you feel like dog shit? Hearing people call what you are, how you were born, what you fought with and wrestled with and almost killed yourself over and became an emotional wreck because of "disgusting."

I wish I was there, I would have said, "having that thought in your head is disgusting."

Ugh, it feels good to vent about this.

But you know what, I talk a big talk but personally, I like to let that kind of stuff roll off my back. It eats you up inside if you focus on it. I mean, that's part of the reason I was in the closet for so long. Now that I'm out, I don't give a fux... or at least try not too. It's always better to be the bigger person and just let them be alone with their ignorance.

4. SkyDiver

Homophobia is what's really unnatural and disgusting, not homosexuality.

I'm sorry you had to go through all of that! Some people are just so in the dark and they don't even know what they're saying. They certainly feel stupid when they've realized how wrong they have been.

Just remember though that everyone can be "cured", so to say. :wink: Attitudes have shifted rapidly over the past 10-20 years and they will continue to do so. We might see a final backlash of homophobia that seems louder than all of the rest, but it's only because of the ground that equality is gaining.

5. Deaf Not Blind

yeah I'm cured of homophobia pretty much now, but i used to find two men kissing akward and so "gross", now i find it beautiful. i didn't need taught it was good, i was taught it was bad. i remember it was around 7th grade, thats when i went into my closet. i never intended to see light of day again...now I'm getting more bold and can see daylight. so they could be scared, or be bisexual, or they could just be so hetero that the norm for them is only non-gross thing. yeah I've never enjoyed seeing straights eating face or touching rears either. be polite in public, save the rest for private.

6. Carm

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Honestly, I still think 2 guys kissing is gross. But I'm a gay woman. What can u expect? lol
    I can appreciate the beauty of it for them, though. Homophobia is horrible to live through. It ruins lives. But I am becoming firmly convinced that the only way we can eradicate it is by living authentic lives and having conversations that exposé people to the human face of homosexuality.

7. King

King Guest

I try not to let it get me down. I know it's easier said than done, but I just brush it off. I know I'm going to get called names in the future, which is why I'm teaching myself not to be worried about it. What's worse, being alone but never called names or being in love and getting called a fag every now and then?

King x