1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by lakegirl2197, Jul 1, 2012.

1. lakegirl2197

OK so I really haven't told anybody but a couple friends about me being Bisexual and I need advice on how to tell people like my mom and more friends from school. I am perfectly happy with my sexuality and have always stood up for Gays, Les, Bi, etc... Even if people made rumors about me because of it. I am proud of my orientation but I just need some advice on how to tell people especially my mom.

2. Silvails52

Hmmm. I'm having a little trouble with that too... But I would suggest sitting her down. Find her in a good mood and just tell her you have something important to say.

I've found that friends are pretty easy to tell. Just say that they need to know something about you. And let me add this: if they don't accept you, they are no friends of yours.

3. Night Rain

Since you're still really young, you should know more about your mother thoughts on the LGBT. If she's openly against it, you could get in serious trouble. If she's accepting, just have a nice talk and explain everything to her, as gentle as possible.

4. you dont have to do it face to face, you can write letters, send a text.

or if you want to test the water drop subtle hints to whoever you want to come out to and see how they react. dont feel pushed to come out though, come out when you want to :slight_smile:

you dont have to say the words 'im bi' if you find that hard to do, you can say i like both genders hope thats not a problem. or something like that, you dont have to be direct you can say it in a number of ways that might help you come out :slight_smile:

5. Ianthe

What are your mom's opinions about LGBT people? Have you ever talked with her about that subject?

6. Sherri

As others have said, you need to consider what is going to be the safest option for you now. I assume that if you're thinking of coming out to your mother, you at least know she isn't going to go lunatic on you and kick you out of the house/disown you.

If you know there's a fair chance nothing will change and you'll be safe even after telling her, do it in the most casual possible, IMO. After all, you don't want this to be some big dramatic thing. You don't want her to treat you differently, because you're not any different. If you get all dramatic and sit her down and do the whole, "Mom, we need to talk" thing, she'll think it's a big deal because you're treating it like one. I've found that the same thing goes with friends. Let them find out naturally. I've never felt any need to run and make sure everybody knows about my sexuality.

I understand that since you're new to this and just realizing it, you're probably excited to tell people. It's fine to do that. Just don't turn molehills into mountains!