1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do they suspect?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Silvails52, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Silvails52

I was talking with my mom and she brought up Oreo's rainbow cookie. She asked what I thought about it. I supported it (for obvious reasons) but I was fumbling for another one that wouldn't reveal that I'm gay. My dad walked in and joined in on the conversation. After just a few minutes, they were saying that when I go to college, I should try to avoid gays. They strongly disapprove of gays' lifestyle. They believe that being gay is not a choice, but that one should learn to ignore those feelings. That if one is gay, they need to stay away from other gays and live (basically) alone. They believe that any homosexual behavior is a sin and should be avoided. Afterwards, I wondered if they were saying that because they either knew or suspected and were urging me to stay away.

But I know I can't do that. I really can't bear the thought of living alone the rest of my life. I got a glimpse of what it feels like to be in love, and I cannot live without that. I really want to tell them, and I got really close. But if I did tell them, I could never get a boyfriend.

2. they might of just said that stuff because you said you supported the oreo thing and they themselves dont. they might not of guessed your lifestyle from you just saying one thing.

when/if you come out your parents could actually turn all their feelings around and might support you. (it happened to me because i was a child of my parents and not someone else if that makes sense.... although admittidly it did take an awful long time). rare, but it does happen.

you can have a boyfriend, you can even date in secret which is what a lot of people who arent out do. you dont have to say he is your boyfriend, just a friend will do. parents dont tend to notice that hanging out with a friend of same sex = gay. however if you brought him home that might be a different matter, depending on how your parents are with that sort of thing. you dont have to be alone and what your parents told you is not what YOU have to do. they are your parents, yes they have some form of control over you but they dont have any say over what you cant actually control which is your sexuality.

they are entitled to their opinion even if it isnt a good one, but thats it. they cant tell you how to live your life.

if you want to come out then do, maybe write a short letter if you cant do it face to face but when youre ready. or you could drop hints every now and then and see how they take it.

(*hug*)

3. bob94

Hmm, I think that your mom just wanted to find a way to bring up gays and have a sort of "life lesson." But there's a strong possibility that they suspect, they are your parents after all!

And just to throw in my opinion: I hate it when people say that gays should just live alone all their lives. How would they feel if somebody told them that? They're married, so obviously they weren't content with being alone...

4. Silvails52

Well, I haven't been terribly obvious about it. I have been dropping subtle hints, but that's mostly with my friends. But later on, when I don't have a wife, they will figure it out. And I can guarantee they won't be happy I have a boyfriend.

5. Night Rain

You deserve to be happy too.
    I can guarantee that if they figure it out that late, it will be the least of your problem. You may even tell them yourself beforehand.

6. Mercy

Mercy Guest

wow this post is making me some upset So beleeping what if your gay you deserve love and respect * angry face * i love orieos btw

7. Ianthe

Oh, they definitely suspect. They said that gays should stay away from other gays, and that you should stay away from gays. They think that that "lifestyle" will be a "temptation" for you.

Do you think they would refuse to pay for school if they knew, or something like that?

8. farah

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think it's so strange for others to expect gay people to live alone for the rest of their lives. Homosexuals have feelings too? Just like straight people. They don't think being gay is a choice but that they are just that way. But they don't seem to think god has anything to do with them being just that way. It sounds to me that they suspect. They might think you're gay, they can accept that but they can't accept you being with someone. If you come out it might take time for them to fully accept you. Then again, it might be random chatting. But seriously now.. they said they don't think it's a choice, if they doubt you're gay, they said that because if they said being gay is a choice they know "you won't believe them" so they said something else to get you thinking. Your parents are trolling you lmao.

9. Silvails52

I don't think they're trolling. They do believe that being gay isn't a choice. Before I knew I was gay, I remember them saying that.

And I honestly don't know if they'll still pay...

10. Black Ink32

Out Status:
    All but family
    Hm, I've read the same thing before, about hiding your sexuality and not acting on it. You know, the whole "God doesn't hate homosexuals, he hates the sin they commit." I honestly couldn't do it. It would be like being "forever alone." No sex and no love. I thought about doing it once and then I met this amazing girl that I Developed feelings for. Yeah, forever alone, fat chance of that. Not only that, temptation of all these sexy people gay and straight.

But anyway, it sounds like your parents are warning you. Not outright saying they know your gay, but hinting at it and letting their opinions be known. I mean come on, "rainbow oreo." Everyone knows that the rainbow represents the LGBTQ community. That was screaming gay cookie.
    "Hey, Bobby, come here. What do you think of this rainbow cookie?"
    "I-uh, well, it's very colorful."
    "*insert gay rant here*"

11. Silvails52

It wasn't quite like that. It was more of "Hey, have you heard about Oreo's rainbow cookie?" "Yeah, it was on Facebook." "What do you think of that?" "Well, I'm glad they support gays." *start gay rant*

12. Black Ink32

Out Status:
    All but family
    Well in that case is sounds merely coincidental lol

13. Zaio

Zaio Guest

So because she initiated a conversation with you about the support of the gay community, despite her already disapproving holds no indication to you? I'm with Ianthe, I'm pretty sure they suspect. If they won't pay for your college because of this though then I'd advice waiting until you've got your degree first.

14. Silvails52

Well, I haven't said anything concrete yet. I definitely won't say anything until later in life. I had thoughts about telling them, but that single conversation stopped that cold.